Please share your healthy bisquit and gravy recipe

Options
Does anyone have a healthy bisquit and gravy recipe they are willing to share?

Replies

• KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone has made it with cauliflower lol. The best advice I can give on biscuits and gravy is...portion control and enjoy.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    LOL!

Ditto! :laugh:

There's really no way to make it "healthy," and if there is, I'm doubtful about its flavor. Portion control and moderation is important for this one!
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Does such an animal exist?

For me biscuit and gravy day = a whole hell of a lot of extra walking! The wife's is killer.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I suppose you could use a turkey or vegan sausage and skim evaporated milk for the gravy.

I know of no way to make a biscuit low-cal or low-fat without ending up with a hockey puck, but by making it from scratch, you can at least use healthy fats and good, organic flour, and control the amount of sugar.

Now you've started a new craving...
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    In because, well, biscuits and gravy are awesome and they don't usually fit my calorie allotment :tongue:

But yeah, I'm also cynical about any decent tasting lower-calorie substitute existing....

I would love to be wrong though. :laugh:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Turkey Sausage Gravy & Biscuits

Nutrition Info
    Calories: 270.0
    Fat: 15.2g
    Carbohydrates: 21.6g
    Protein: 12.2g

Ingredients
    16 oz. Jennie-O Turkey Sausage
    2 cups skim milk
    cornstarch or other thickener
    dash of pepper
    8 Pillsbury Grands Frozen Buttermilk biscuits
    Directions
    brown sausage, drain, add milk and thickner, cook until reach desired thickness. Cook biscuits in oven per package directions.
    Serving 1 biscuit and 1/4 cup gravy.

Number of Servings: 8
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ok here's how I make it for me and my husband (serves 2)

1T bacon fat (120cals)
    2T-3T all purpose flour (~75cals)
    2 cups lowfat/skim milk (160cals)
    90/10 Turkey Breakfast Sausage (2 oz- 1 serving) (110cals)
    Salt/Pepper
    Eggs or Biscuits

Brown the sausage and crumble into small pieces. Turkey sausage is not like regular sauage in that it gives off water and not fat when you cook it.. that's why I use bacon fat for my gravy. Set aside the turkey and in the same pan add the bacon fat/flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the milk while whisking and bring to a boil then reduce to low. Stir occasionally until gravy thickens (it will! be patient). Seaon with salt/pepper to taste and stir in sausage. Take off heat and serve. Instead of biscuits we use scrambled eggs... 1 egg + 3 egg whites each. The whole thing, with the eggs, is around 350cals each of just the gravy is ~240.
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've made my own sausage with ground turkey and seasonings, and used skim milk for the gravy. Not much you can do for the biscuits though. The gravy tastes pretty good on toast though...
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I... I can't even imagine what you mean by "healthy" when it comes to this dish. If you're looking for low cal, eat less of it. :laugh:
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm!
  • PrairieSlims
    PrairieSlims Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ENJOY in moderation !!!!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Use skim milk, turkey sausage, and put it over eggs vs. biscuits. That's the healthiest I know of.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I lol'd, but I am curious if such a thing is possible.

I could literally exist on B&G. For life, yo. Or however long people live after eating nothing but B&G for years.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE fan of this recipe: http://paleomg.com/biscuits-and-gravy/

The biscuits are made with mashed sweet potato and coconut flour. There are simpler coconut flour biscuit recipes out there if you prefer lower carb.

If you're looking to cut fat, you could sub turkey sausage for pork, and you could use a light coconut milk (or even almond milk) but alter the milk-to-flour ratio so it's still thick.

It's not the real deal of course, but it's really good.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Use skim milk, turkey sausage, and put it over eggs vs. biscuits. That's the healthiest I know of.

It's not biscuits and gravy without the biscuits!!! :grumble: Besides, turkey sausage and skim milk are blasphemy in my book. :laugh:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Ok here's how I make it for me and my husband (serves 2)

1T bacon fat (120cals)
    2T-3T all purpose flour (~75cals)
    2 cups lowfat/skim milk (160cals)
    90/10 Turkey Breakfast Sausage (2 oz- 1 serving) (110cals)
    Salt/Pepper
    Eggs or Biscuits

Brown the sausage and crumble into small pieces. Turkey sausage is not like regular sauage in that it gives off water and not fat when you cook it.. that's why I use bacon fat for my gravy. Set aside the turkey and in the same pan add the bacon fat/flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the milk while whisking and bring to a boil then reduce to low. Stir occasionally until gravy thickens (it will! be patient). Seaon with salt/pepper to taste and stir in sausage. Take off heat and serve. Instead of biscuits we use scrambled eggs... 1 egg + 3 egg whites each. The whole thing, with the eggs, is around 350cals each of just the gravy is ~240.

i vote for this one....
  • Overcomer68
    Overcomer68 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone has made it with cauliflower lol. The best advice I can give on biscuits and gravy is...portion control and enjoy.

I would say the same.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Don't ruin a good thing! Portion control is all there is too it. I make mine with half and half and real sausage, but I only use a half a bisquit and put some of my gravy on eggs. Delicious and worth every calorie.
  • lansawcr
    Options
    I recommend 1/2 biscuit 2 tbsp gravy.....ok I know that is just a tease.....I agree with the guy above who says biscuits and gravy = a whole lot of walking.