Measuring- Cup vs Scale

Options
2»

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Portion control is essential for losing weight. If you only have measuring cups, use them. They are much better than estimating and will be consistent over time. Scales are more accurate from a scientific POV, but that level of accuracy is not essential to losing weight. I do have scales and use them for meats and some other solids. They are helpful, and you should consider getting one, even if you need to save up for it. Don't wait to start measuring your food until you can afford one, though. Measure now with the tools you have.
  • Al_Ann_momma
    Al_Ann_momma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank You for all the responses!!! Now my husband will really think I am crazy for weighing everything- but I want the excess baby weight off before summer gets here!!! Thank You again.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I've been here long enough to know better, but I was only using the scale to weigh meats. Duuuhh...

Now I weigh everything that I can (aside from liquids/salad dressing - unless the serving is in grams not mL). I just started weighing out peanut butter. Turns out, 1 tbsp is almost half a serving more than I thought I was getting!! Yeah it's only 40 calories, but if I have 2 servings, that's 80 extra calories, and sometimes I have PB more than once a day.

The other sad side is weighing pasta and rice. You do NOT get 1/2 a cup for 45 grams. lol :grumble:
  • thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I dont own a food scale. Any suggestions on portion estimation alternatives? I only have a measuring cup

Best purchase you could make as ithe difference it makes builds over time!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Weight is the most accurate. The cup, it depends on how the pieces are sitting, how much space is between them, where on the cup you are reading.. Weigh it.

This video (once you get past the strange intro) shows very well how off the measuring cups/spoons can be.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Sorry, I missed that you had just posted the same video. See? It really made an impression on people!