Running shoes for treadmill

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
What are you using when you mostly run on a treadmill? My old shoes are dying and I need to look for new ones :) I am a woman, average weight and height, run on average 3 times per week.

Replies

• Phiallis
    Phiallis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like Nike running shoes personaly: the sizing is very consistent, which means I can find bargains on the web.
    Pegasus are a favorite of mine.
    Any pair of decent running shoes will do though (though I would personally stay away from the minimalist craze)
  • LKArgh
    Options
    I haven't used Nike for years, not for any particular reason, just happened. Thanks for reminding me about them, putting Pegasus on the list of shoes to try.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    This is like asking what type of haircut is best. Shoes are all down to the individual - mostly foot shape and running style.

Try and compare your foot shape online or better still, get a recommendation from a sports shop.

Better still, run in the street, not on a treadmill....
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Unlike haircuts, shoes are not about look, they are about safety and comfort. Different shoes tend to be better for treadmills, road, or trails, and chances are experienced runners can give recommendations.
    As for running in the street, sure, I would love to. Please let me know if you can be at my place from 7-8 every evening to babysit, since I cannot leave the kids alone or run with them :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    brooks pureconnect for the indoor track and treadmill.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Unlike haircuts, shoes are not about look, they are about safety and comfort. Different shoes tend to be better for treadmills, road, or trails, and chances are experienced runners can give recommendations.
    As for running in the street, sure, I would love to. Please let me know if you can be at my place from 7-8 every evening to babysit, since I cannot leave the kids alone or run with them :)

Sorry for not knowing your life story in advance. Without this information, I am always likely to recommend running in the street as it is better.

The general point, however, is that haircuts are each to their own. There is no right or wrong. Same as running shoes.

Ok. I recommend a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 14s. Does that help? No, not necessarily, because you're foot shape might not be a neutral shape (even then they still might not suit you and your running style might even contradict this as well.

Do you think I would recommend looking online to compare foot shape if I thought it was about how they look? Is Wednesday your day for ignoring?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Check out this at Runners World......

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor

not as good as having your gain analyzed but give you some ideas. Despite what the manufacturers would have you believe about the "science" behind modern running shoes the most important consideration is still that they fit well and are comfortable.

Most of my running is outside but I use the same shoes when I'm on my treadmill (and have done so for years).
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Take shoe advice with a grain of salt. I've been fitted for Mizuno Wave Inspire, and while I would endorse the brand, I wouldn't endorse the model as it pertains to your foot/gait. Go to a running shop and get fitted, or try the roadrunnersports.com "Shoe Dog."
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Do you supinate or pronate?
    Mid, heel or front strike?
    Flat foot, high arch, or normal?

If YOU don't know those answers go to a running store, not Footlocker and certainly not the internet forums. So yes shoes are like haircuts, specific to the person getting them.

Just FYI...
    Asics Flex for road, track and treadmill
    NB 810 v2 for trails
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I wear the same shoes that I wear when I run outside. I wear Brooks right now. I got fitted for sneakers a while ago and I get whatever shoes they tell me are the same as the ones I just wore out.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Try to find a good shoe store in your area that specializes in running shoes. Sales people there are very good at getting you into a pair of shoes that works for you. Some have treadmills and cameras to do "gait analysis" though no crazy set up is needed to do it. Someone who knows what they're doing will ask you to run a bit and watch what your feet are doing. They can spot it pretty quickly if you have an issue with pronation or supination. Make sure the shoe flexes at the right place for you to roll off comfortably. Make sure the toe box is big enough (I switched to different shoes just for that issue). Remember that your feet swell a bit on a run and get them slightly bigger than your normal street shoes. Make sure you have appropriate arch and heal support.

Nothing better than getting a really good shoe store to fit you properly. Once I got mine figured out I just kept buying the same shoes. They update them a little, but the fit has been consistent for years. I wear Mizuno Wave Runners, but that's only because they fit my needs. When I need a new pair, I just take the old pair to the store and say "A pair of these, please".
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I went to my local running store (Point2Point) and they scanned my feet, then filmed my feet as I ran on the treadmill. They showed me a line of shoes for my running "style" and I use them on the street and treadmill.

Fittings/Scannings are usually free so give it a try. My knees feel a LOT better since I got the right shoes
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm also a woman, average height/weight, run 2-3 times a week on a treadmill. I just bought Asics GEL-Kayano 19s and I'm loving them. They're last year's Kayano model so you can probably find them on sale for less than $100 (the new Kayano 20s are ~$150).
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Do you supinate or pronate?
    Mid, heel or front strike?
    Flat foot, high arch, or normal?

If YOU don't know those answers go to a running store, not Footlocker and certainly not the internet forums. So yes shoes are like haircuts, specific to the person getting them.

Just FYI...
    Asics Flex for road, track and treadmill
    NB 810 v2 for trails

All of this.

You don't need a different shoe for the treadmill than for the road, but you do need a shoe that works for your specific foot and gait. Each brand has it's own fit and each style within that brand provides different things. Asics and New Balance tend to run wider whereas Nike and Mizunos seem to be on the narrow end. Different styles correct pronation, offer cushioning, stabilize ankles, etc or you can go with a lighter shoe and less support if that works better.

Personally, I just moved to minimal running and have been wearing New Balance Minimus 10v2s for the last few weeks. I love them, but if you don't want a minimalist shoe, they wouldn't work for you.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You should go to a specialty running store and get fitted. They will watch you run on a treadmill and examine your feet to determine what shoe is best for you. What shoe is right for you depends on your arch; foot width; gait; whether you heel strike or forefoot strike; whether you pronate, supinate, or land neutrally; etc. Running in sneakers that poorly fit your feet can easily lead to injury.

Unless you have the same feet as me - narrow feet, flat feet, need very little support and cushioning, supinate, and mid strike the shoes I like will not be a good choice for you. Base your purchases on what shoes others like, buy the ones that are the best for your feet.

Store locator:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/store-finder

Running Warehouse will do a gait analysis if you send them a video:
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/learningcenter/footwear.html?video=FOOT05