Rheumatoid Arthritis

Options
Hi All

I've recently (in the last fortnight) been told that I have rheumatoid arthritis. Feeling quite pleased to finally have a diagnosis and know what is wrong but because I've been so sore the last 12 weeks I've stopped going to the gym so I need some alternatives. I'm 31 and was beginning to like my shape a lot more when I was at the gym and whilst I've not put on a lot of the weight I've lost my shape isn't as good!

Main issues for me are hips, knees, ankles and fingers and wrists, I can just about walk in the morning so any exercise would have to be in the evening.

Any others with RA diagnosis? What do you do?

Thanks for any help (feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss this openly!)

Nicole x

Replies

• nicole_andan
    nicole_andan Posts: 127
    Options
    nobody at all? :(
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't have rheumatoid arthritis, but I do deal with other forms of arthritis. I understand having limitations, it sucks, but just becomes something you have to work with. For me, doing the elliptical really warms up my body and prepares it for exercise. I use the elliptical as both warmup and cardio depending on what my goals are that day. I also do a lot of stretching/Pilates' /yoga on a daily basis. I find the more active I am, the better I feel : )
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RA 20 years ago. With me it was only in my hand, so its not quite comparable to what you're going through. The worst part was the fatigue. Some days I could barely move I was so tired.

They treated it with cortisone shots and drugs like methotrexate and NSAIDs. I took that for a couple years until I started developing psyrosis of the liver. When they took me off the drugs the swelling never came back.

I tried really hard to exercise through everything. If I was too tired to run I'd try to walk. That's when I started swimming. Just a couple laps at first and then gradually adding a lap until I was up to a mile. I still swim a mile 2 to 3 times a week. I felt that if I stopped moving I'd never get up again so I just kept on going.

The RA has been in remission for 18 years now. If I stop doing aerobic exercise for a while I feel the fatigue start coming back. I credit aerobic exercise for the success.

Don't give up. Just do what you can and do it every day. Now I run, swim, ride my bike and do strength training. Keeping the weight off, your muscles toned and your aerobic capacity high will do wonders.

Good luck.
  • G2hill
    G2hill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RA three years ago. Put on Plaquenil and Prednisone initially. I ballooned up to 202 with the combination of the two drugs. Got rid of the Prednisone after six months. I had issues mostly in the feet, elbows, wrists and fingers. Started a Biggest Loser type challenge at work in January of this year. Diet and exercise. Running 5k roadraces. Eliminated soda and juice from my diet. Eliminated alcohol. Tried to limit my calorie intake to 1,500 per day. It took a while but I finally got into a good routine in March. I'm down 38 pounds and feel great.

As of May, I am symptom free. My rheumatologist was surprised.

Good luck with everything.
  • nicole_andan
    nicole_andan Posts: 127
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing. It's great to know there is stuff that can be done. I think swimming is definitely gonna have to be the thing for me and the eliptical maybe. A friend also mentioned pilates althought I swear if they make me "oooooohhhhhmmmmm"! I'm outta there!!!!

My biggest problem is definitely my hips but I'll start off again maybe at 2 days a week for half an hour and go from there.
    Tiredness, especially after a day at work is definitely an issue... yesterday I was so sore I went home, took a couple of pain killers and slept until 7am this morning!

So tired after work and then so stiff I can barely move in the morning! Must try harder!!

Thanks for all your advice... now I just have to put it into practice!

xx
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mike, keep moving.

Two years ago I didn't exercise and ate more than I should have. At one point I was so stiff that if I dropped something on the floor I would leave it there or find a stick to pick it up because bending down was very difficult. Now I'm careful about my dietary choices and I exercise on a regular basis. I have far less pain than I did two years ago and I feel better overall. I can bend down and pick up after myself now :smile: I plan on keeping up with the exercise as long as I'm able. I think if I stopped moving the stiffness would start creeping back in.
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'm swimming tomorrow, we'll see how that goes! And I'm going to attempt a Pilates class next week! Eeek!!!!
  • belindacobby
    belindacobby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RA about 18 months ago (Rheumatoid Factor positive), although I think I've had it for a least 8 years undiagnosed. I just assumed I was following my mothers footsteps with osteoarthritis. I was in so much pain. I had it in my feet (I walked like an 90 yr in the mornings) I also had it in my ankles, collar bone, hands, wrists and elbows. I was so sore I couldn't even lift the weight of my blankets, I could hardly dress myself and just lying in bed, the 'burning' in my wrists nearly had me in tears.

My CRP was 17 which should be 0-6 and my ESR 47 which should be 1-20. (These are inflammation marker in our blood) I didn't want to be on the toxic drugs for long so I spent weeks turning the internet upside. I used my body as a guinea pig and illimunated certain foods, then reintroduce them to see if I would react.

This is what I discovered... I can't eat sugar, processed foods, meat or dairy and I also cut back on coffee to keep my ph levels balanced. I am off all medication. I do however take an iron tablet once a day and probiotics from time to time. My CRP is now 5 and my ESR 19. I still have minimal pain in my right wrist as my MRI scan show bone erosion.

My life has done a complete turn around just by simply swapping sugar for honey, meat for fish and cows milk for soy milk (Soy milk in Australia is GM free) and eating more fruit and vegetables. I also try to incorporate turmeric, ginger and garlic into many meals.

If you want to learn more I wrote a short ebook which you can get here... http://naturalraremedy.com you can also follow me at https://www.facebook.com/NaturalRARemedy

I sincerely hope this info helps many :)
  • KittyWeidenbener
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RA in 2002. 11 yrs ago. I think it goes through cycles. For awhile I was down to 140 pounds, exercising, hiking, feeling great! Like remission great. Then I went through a lot of stresses/changes in my life. I had to change biologics, twice. I am now on Celebrex, Plaquenil, and Xeljanz. I'm up to 229 lbs and NOTHING seems to be working. I eat 1200-1400 calories per day. I go for walks or use my elliptical 2-4 times a week depending on my energy levels. I avoid red meat, limit my sugar, and drink apple cider vinegar drink to help balance my pH. So far I've seen almost NO results. But I do FEEL a little better. My hands have more flexibility and feel stronger. So do my feet. Just keep avoiding foods and things that make you flare. MOVE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! And never give up. :)
  • soyyen
    Options
    it there a group of RA sufferers ?if not would anyone like to start one ?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My mom has RA and uses a stationary bike every evening (she is also really stiff in the mornings and can barely walk in general) and uses light weights. Her muscle strength has definitely improved since she started doing this.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have Rheumatoid as well as Psoriatic arthritis.

The most important thing is to listen to your body. Don't push it to do something that is very painful. Its quite a balancing act, but every person I know eventually figures it out to some extent. Maybe others can chime in, but I know for me getting my weight lowered helped immensely on lowering the pain levels on my joints. Especially the knees, hips, and ankles. So if you have weight to lose I would concentrate on the diet aspect just to start out. Keeping active as you can without pushing the limits.

Depending on what exercises you are interested in or capable of, I can probably give you some tips to lower the impact yet give your body a workout that is just as intense.

I am med free do to the cancer risks so I go about it 99% med free with popping a prednisone for a day or two about every 10 months when I know I am going to abuse my body as I am extremely active now. that I found a balance that works for me.

I have the same main issues as you. Walking was very difficult for many years and i needed a cane. My rheumatologist was very leery of my exercise plan at first. Now he says he definitely rethinking some of his initial thoughts. My theory is our joints are getting eatin' up so they need more support. In my mind more muscle is more support to hold the joints where they are suppose to be. Hence less pain.

Feel free to stop by my profile page and see my accomplishments while dealing with RA. PM me anytime with questions.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    it there a group of RA sufferers ?if not would anyone like to start one ?

There are a few, although they are very slow.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/906-r-a-ninjas
  • soywoman
    soywoman Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi..new to myfitnesspal..I too, was recently diagnosed with RA. On one hand a relief...on the other, not so much! The meds are helping..I'm finally WANTING to work-out. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep it up? I feel good on some days and then it seems maybe I over-do it when I workout and then feel crappy for the next two days...
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I feel good on some days and then it seems maybe I over-do it when I workout and then feel crappy for the next two days...
    Been there.

A couple years ago I ran at exercise at 100 mph. I started off with an intense full body work out. This was after years of being sedentary. I hurt so bad that for a few days later I could barely lift a cup of for a drink. I gave up and didn't start again for 6 months. The next go round I started very slowly, just walking at first. Then each week I would add another exercise (for example push ups). Over several months I built it up to a full routine. I enjoy exercise now.

The important thing is to stay committed to your plan. You can gradually add new exercises or make the exercise more intense. Your body will adapt as you strengthen your muscles. At the beginning I could barely do a lunge due to the stiffness in my knees. Now I can do weighted lunges, suspended lunges or assisted one legged squats. It took nearly a year to get to that point, but I have greater flexibility than I did before.
  • Scallyboo
    Scallyboo Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Im 34 and was diagnosed with RA 5 years ago just after I had my first son. For me I suffered with small joints first (ankles, wrists and knuckles) but as the years went on I suffer more now with the larger joints - hips, shoulders, knees mostly.
    I have a little bit of an addictive personality - when I decide to do someting I give 100% so I was getting really frustrated if I started something like 30DS and had to stop due to a flair up. I was a great runner and had to buy a bike to lessen the impact on joints.
    I am on the highest dose of methotrexate and taking daily pain killers. BUT this year I decided to take charge, I am lucky that on good days I am completely normal. I can run etc no bother. I do TRX and kettlebells classes. On bad days I can do nothing.
    Again I find the tiredness is the worst, and I am in bed at 9pm every night. Im sick of hearing people say its natural to be tired with two kids aged 5 and 1 but its not normal!

I started taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar every morning - idea being my body is too acidic as it is which contrbutes to the inflamation so this will bring the acidity of my body closer to neutral.
    I also have bursitis which causes me chronic pain during a flair up so thats another motivation factor to keep taking the apple cider vinegar coz its disgusting!!

Ideally I would LOVE to be off medication in 12 months time.

I hope you're coping ok and remember you can only do what your body allows you to do... dont force excerise if you are in pain.
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! My daughter (18 yrs old) is being tested for RA and Im not sure if Im excited to have a posibility of a diagnosis or what... but this board gave me some food for thought (no pun intended). :smile:
  • KLA161
    KLA161 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RA six months ago. Among other things, I was put on prednisone, which helped the pain but stimulated my appetite dramatically -- even such that I would wake up in the middle of the night extremely hungry. It was a disaster for my eating plan, which in turn put me on a negative spiral. I gained quite a bit of weight.

I'm trying to do a reset now. I still struggle with significant fatigue along with some arthritic discomfort, but my doc says that will all improve when we finally get my RA under control. I know I need to find a balance that includes exercise, and I like the idea of swimming. Anyway, I really appreciate the information in this chain. If any of you are still logged in, I hope you will continue to post your comments.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    diagnosis at 37 in 2002. mine is mild and responded to naproxen and sulfasalazine. i quit taking them five or six years ago but touch wood it's been dormant for a long time anyway.

my main take-away is you can't fight a flare, so don't try. it's like being trapped in a bramble thicket. fighting or trying to just rambo through it will tear you apart, so the only thing to do is stand still and pick yourself three one thorn and one hook at a time. fatigue was my killer, personally. i found that the only solution was to throw sleep at it for three or four days and just trust that it would work in the end. it's hard to avoid the hysteria/panic reaction, though. and the re-entry period after it began to recede was always brutal emotionally.

i started lifting almost three years ago. agree with whoever said to stay committed. the hardest thing for me about this disorder is coexisting with the knowledge that it could come along at any arbitrary point that it likes, and wipe everything that you worked to regain off the board. i think for me the key to staying committed was never to over-invest. when i was new with the disorder and doing the biking, my biggest struggle was the rage and grief cycles new flares put me through.

now counter-intuitive or not, i just try not to care over-much about the things i can do when i'm able to do things. for my own temperament, i just can't deal with those hope-and-crush cycles when i do invest. i lift because i'm angry, really :tongue: