Eating disorder, help.

Options
I'm really reluctant to post this as I KNOW I will be told to "seek medical help" or "see a therapist" and honesty, if you are going to say something as such don't bother to comment. I just need some guidance, I've been checked by doctors, have a councillor the lot, but I need more help. I'm currently MAINTAINING my weight of 124 pounds 5'7 eating 900 calories and I am absolutely petrified to increase incase I gain weight. Why am I maintaining on such a low amount? And how can I solve this problem? The truth is I can't live with my ed any longer, I need it gone and this seems like the first step to take

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are maintaining on such a low amount because of the foods you are eating which make up your 900 calories. What are you eating usually?
  • Florameg456
    Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So what would be a healthy weight for you, have you figured that out? Are you active and do you feel well? With eating disorders you can damage your metabolism and hormone balances. You could try increasing your calories in small amounts, like 50 cals/day for a week and then add a little more.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think your metabolism could be the key here. I'm in therapy for my ED and my therapist prepared me that I, if I start eating "normally" again, I'll start gaining weight at first, because i f..ked up my metabolism and I was missing nutrition. I know it's scary, but it'll normalize itself again. Yet, for your own safety, I'd support you in getting help by a doctor/therapist/nutrition expert, so you don't have to do this alone. I personally found it barely bearable alone.
    And now I'm eating more than I did in the last few years on a normal basis (bulimia, in my case) and after I gained 4 pounds for maybe 2 weeks, I lost it again (water weight or whatever?) I'm skinnier than I've been in over 4 years and I feel much better.

You don't necessarily have to give up one thing to get another. 'All' you need to do is losing your focus (and that is really, really hard, I myself still have lots of work to do there!). It's ironic, but if you stop striving for "the perfect body" so hard and if you treat yourself better, you'' reach and maintain your goal easier AND be happier and healthier in the same time.

Good luck :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am going to venture to guess that you are actually eating more than 900 calories, you just think you are eating 900.

Do you weigh all solid foods you eat with a digital kitchen scale? If not you may be eating 10-50% more than you think.
    Do you measure you liquids with measuring cups and spoons?

that said prolonged under eating would have lowered your metabolism somewhat, but shouldn't be to that much of a degree. I would suggest increasing your cals by 50-100, stay there for a week, then add another 50-100
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism slowed down substantially , if you want a kickass phyisique but are afraid of gaining flab , increase your calories gradually and get a gym subscription , once at gym do NOT do cardio , do weight lifting. You will get a tonified body such as http://data3.whicdn.com/images/67235964/original.jpg or http://media.videogoneviral.com/uploads/dec06/Girls-Work-Hard-For-Their-Fitness-056.jpg =) these girls are 150'ish pounds :)
  • Florameg456
    Options
    I am going to venture to guess that you are actually eating more than 900 calories, you just think you are eating 900.

Do you weigh all solid foods you eat with a digital kitchen scale? If not you may be eating 10-50% more than you think.

that said prolonged under eating would have lowered your metabolism somewhat, but shouldn't be to that much of a degree.

I weight everything, and I mean everything. Or else I wouldn't be able to eat it at all
  • thin_is_pretty
    Options
    dude i feel you, i have to keep mine a secret for the most part or i get told the same thing
  • Florameg456
    Options
    I think your metabolism could be the key here. I'm in therapy for my ED and my therapist prepared me that I, if I start eating "normally" again, I'll start gaining weight at first, because i f..ked up my metabolism and I was missing nutrition. I know it's scary, but it'll normalize itself again. Yet, for your own safety, I'd support you in getting help by a doctor/therapist/nutrition expert, so you don't have to do this alone. I personally found it barely bearable alone.
    And now I'm eating more than I did in the last few years on a normal basis (bulimia, in my case) and after I gained 4 pounds for maybe 2 weeks, I lost it again (water weight or whatever?) I'm skinnier than I've been in over 4 years and I feel much better.

You don't necessarily have to give up one thing to get another. 'All' you need to do is losing your focus (and that is really, really hard, I myself still have lots of work to do there!). It's ironic, but if you stop striving for "the perfect body" so hard and if you treat yourself better, you'' reach and maintain your goal easier AND be happier and healthier in the same time.

Good luck :)

Thank you!!
  • Florameg456
    Options
    dude i feel you, i have to keep mine a secret for the most part or i get told the same thing

Oh man, the amount I'm told to seek medical help is crazy! I've done it all and they don't do ****
  • fificrazy
    Options
    Your metabolism has been suppressed. Your body has likely turned off a lot of other important bodily functions, too, because that's pretty much the biggest sign that your body is struggling to adapt and keep you alive. You really only have one option here: eat. No foods are off limits; no food is "bad" for recovery. You should strive to meet a minimum of 3,000 calories a day. As someone recovering from a restrictive eating disorder, your body needs 2,500 just to function, and you'll need the extra to help with repairs. You'll probably encounter some bloating and slowed digestion in the beginning, but you can expect a big jump in hunger/cravings and then eventually your body will return to it's set point on this amount. That's when your metabolism will have returned to it's optimal state again.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    With all that support, this may be a given already, but do you have an understanding of your personal Basic Metobolic Rate (BMR)? This is the aproximate number of calories your body burns if you did absolutly nothing but lie in bed all day and be alive. There are plenty of online calulators to help you get an idea of what yours is...personally, I was shocked to see mine. I am only about 15 pounds up from my ideal weight (so not too heavy) and my BMR is about 1500 calories. So hypotheically, I could stay in bed all day everyday, consuming 1500 calories daily and maintain my weight. As I do much more than that daily, it's obvious that I would need to consume even more than that to maintain my weight, based on my level of activity.

I'm very sorry to hear of your struggles and especially glad to hear that you are getting help. I hope you find some things that speak to you in this post.

PS- I just calulated what my BMR will be at goal weight and it's only about 70 calories difference a day...1433 a day when I'm at my ideal weight to maintain if I do nothing all day.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options

that said prolonged under eating would have lowered your metabolism somewhat, but shouldn't be to that much of a degree. I would suggest increasing your cals by 50-100, stay there for a week, then add another 50-100

This is why ED posts looking for advice should be locked.

I know you only meant to help, but nooooo!!!!!

Typically ED sufferers don't underestimate how much they're eating - usually they grossly overestimate how much they're eating. Telling us to start measuring our foods with a digital scales is like trying to help a heroin addict by telling them where to get cleaner heroin, instead of just saying STOP and get help. If that makes sense!

OP: you have an ED. They have the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric illness. Food is your medicine; you need it to get better. If you were diabetic or asthmatic, you wouldn't ask a bunch of strangers on the Internet to help with your insulin or inhaler dosage because we're not doctors and it would be dangerous. Same with this.

I appreciate you haven't found the right RT help yet, but don't give up. Stay in contact with your GP to keep your labs and obs on check.

(p.s. I've had AN for over 20 years so know what you're going through).
  • micahsmom91011
    micahsmom91011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Depending on how low you restricted your metabolism could have slowed drastically. EDs mess our bodies up something crazy. Some when recovering have to eat 3,000 calories just to maintain while others gain weight just from a 500 increase. If going this alone, then the best I can say is give yourself a week. Increase to 1000 and see what happens. That of course requires not weighing yourself for a week which I don't know if that will work for you. If you can stand to wait a week and weigh then you can see what happens. If you gain a pound or two then hold at 1000 and see what happens the next week. If you gain the 2nd week then drop back to your 900 and see a Dr. You may have something medically wrong that is causing your metabolism not to speed back up. Also eating smaller meals a few times a day may help if you are eating most of your calories in 1-3 meals. The more often you can eat the easier it is to convince your body that you're not going to starve it again and it won't grip all the calories you eat and store them. It will probably take some trial and error but unless there is a medical reason for your metabolism to stay slow it should pick back up slowly as you continue to eat regularly. Best of luck.
  • Hazelnut79
    Hazelnut79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a similar height, and some years ago I was eating about the same calories as you and weighed the same. I found that even a small increase would make me balloon and my metabolism never seemed to recover. I thought I had done so much damage to my metabolism that my only options were starve myself to be "normal sized" or be overweight. I too had hit a point where I was like "I can't keep living like this." So I became overweight with some unhealthy under eating phases occasionally mixed in because I was so unhappy with myself and would relapse.

Then, I got a DEXA body scan to get an accurate measure of my body fat, and was told that I have a ridiculously small amount of muscle for my height/age and also really low bone density - I guess this all wasted away when I was starving myself and it never really came back even when I gained weight. I started focusing on lifting heavy (for me) weights and it is AMAZING how much it has helped. It took a couple of months for things to really get in balance (I gained a couple of lbs at first), but I can now eat 1800 calories a day and lose weight, I'm motivated to focus on my macros so that my lifting progresses, and I look at my body for the first time in years and my first inclination is to focus on the positives because I'm so proud of what it can do. I'm still working on losing body fat but progress is happening so I'm happy.

I guess my main point here is that previously, if I stopped restricting it was because I knew it was "bad", but it was there was always a conflicting voice in my head that still wanted to keep restricting. After I started lifting heavy that voice has disappeared and been replaced with once that pushes me to eat in a way to improves my performance AND this has also improved my body. If I don't eat right, I can tell because my workouts suffer.

If you're interested in trying this route, there are some great forums here about strength training for women that you can browse or participate in. I am following a program that a personal trainer made for me, but it's in the same spirit as Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and the Starting Strength programs.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I know you do not want to hear it, but you need to seek professional help.
  • Hazelnut79
    Hazelnut79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know you do not want to hear it, but you need to seek professional help.

She says in some of her previous post that doctors have not taken her seriously because her BMI is not low enough to be classified as anorexic, even though her behaviours fits the bill. I was just like this when I was younger, and sadly I experienced the same thing. My family practitioner actually chided me when I gained weight (still within my healthy weight range) after upping my calories to 1700. Granted, she didn't know how many calories I had been eating, but I got a lecture on how obesity ran in my family and the gain was quick so I should work on keeping that in check.

Professional help can be great I'm sure if the doctor's know what to do, but sadly with eating disorders I think the professional help often ends up falling short.

eta - I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I just mean to say I can understand the OPs aversion to that recommendation.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Work on increasing your calories. You know it needs to be done. Calculate what you should be eating for maintenance and aim for it. It will be a lot compared to what you are used to and you will gain weight, but you need to gain weight, otherwise your ED will destroy you. Go for the calorie dense foods. Those foods like peanut butter you may have avoided in the past are now your friends. Best of luck. I know it is probably terrifying to gain weight, but you won't be healthy until you do. And you won't go on gaining forever. It will balance out.