Fruit and calories

Options
My fiance and I can't seem to agree. I think I need to use the food guidelines provided here and count the calories if I eat a piece of fruit or a vegetable. He seems to think that they are negative calories and I shouldn't be documenting them in my daily calorie count. What do you do??

Replies

• random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I track everything.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LOLZ really?

there are no "negative calorie foods"

A half cup of green beans has - I believe - 25 calories...

so ignore your fiancé and go with the counts on here..

wow...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    count them. the reason being they do have calories in them, and your calorie goal (maintenance calories, to which a deficit is taken from) already accounts for the calories out due to digestions among other things.
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    You are right - the idea with MFP is to log everything you eat and drink, along with your exercise. Fruits are a great, healthy addition to your overall diet, but you need to log to account for the calories in your daily total.

Maybe your fiancee has done weight watchers before, and that is where he is coming from? The weight watchers points system did not count most fruits and veggies towards daily points totals when I last checked the program out. So, that might be what he's thinking of with not logging fruits.
  • docdick9120
    docdick9120 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Continue to track. He may be on crack.:laugh:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    There are some extremely calorie dense fruits and vegetables out there. Avocados are 250 calories a piece, and bananas are usually 105-110 each. So yes, you need to count them.
  • OperationSwimsuit86
    Options
    Continue to track. He may be on crack.:laugh:

Your a poet and you don't know it!
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Fruit and Veg still have calories, they still add up...Continue to track... My 33 grapes at lunch are 113Cal.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    You should count your fruits on MFP. If you use a program like Weight Watchers, they already account for your daily recommended servings and they are freebies points-wise. MFP doesn't work like that.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your fiancee has heard of other plans that don't count fruits and veggies in their points. If you are using the MFP model, it is set-up to count all calories regardless of source. So I vote with you - track everything you eat, including the fruits and veggies.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any reason not to include fruit and vegetables. If you don't, you won't have a good gauge on your macros. Even if something has negligible calories, it has other things that could matter. I love pickles. Five calories for a Claussen pickle spear. But if I don't add it, I don't see how it impacts my sodium. I have BP issues, so that's important to me. That's kind of a negative example, but the other side is seeing how you got all those great vitamins and stuff without a load of calories.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I always track them, fruit and all. LOL! I can't see not! A banana is around 100 calories and should "count".
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I count them, but I deduct calories for prep (peeling, cracking, slicing, etc) because every little bit matters.
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I AGREE NO DO NOT COUNT THEM.. THEY ARE NEGATIVES !!

... Just kidding, I felt bad for the guy cause man is he going to hear it when he gets home LOL LOL, But seriously I agree you should count them, They add up really fast.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I want magical negative calorie fruits!!

Your man is seriously misguided - count them.