Gave up the foods that I love so I could learn to eat right

Options
Hello. I was wondering if anyone out there that needed to lose weight gave up foods they loved and that caused them to pretty much gain weight? (I'm talking about planning to eat one slice of pizza but it was so good you ended up eating 8 slices so you ditched pizza in general)

I am trying to change my mindset when it comes to food. I use food as a crutch for emotions as well as other things, but I really want to train my body to enjoy the healthier foods, the ones that make me feel better and have more energy.

Anyone have success with this or has tried it?

I know they say not to deprive yourself b/c you will eventually binge, but not eating something for long enough will eventually kill the craving right??

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This doesn't have to do so much with weight loss but I have cut a food almost completely out of my diet. For me its pork, with the exceptions being bacon and pulled pork. My BF hates pork in almost every form, except bacon. So I stopped making pork chops, ham, tenderloin etc. Now I don't really like the taste and texture of it. So it is possible to completely cut something that you love.

Oh and soda, I stay away from soda. (Except Root Beer from this Brewery in town. OMG so good, but it's basically treated like dessert)

ETA: we've been dating for 8 years.
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    Eat "healthy" 80-90% of the time and for the other 10-20%, treat yourself. This helps you "learn to eat right," without restricting yourself from the food that you enjoy or that you may crave.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    It is not the type of food that makes a person gain weight, it is eating too much of it. (calorie surplus) By all means incorporate different foods into your intake, but you do not need to eliminate any items on a permanent basis. (unless you have a medical reason for doing so)

edit for clarity
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Eh. I'd say the better way to fight your tendency to binge is to fight your tendency to binge. Look for healthier versions of the foods you love the most and figure out how to work them into your macronutrient goals. Deprivation sucks.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Why would you need to do that? Can't you make room for it in your calories and macros, and have self control? If you cut things out that you love or restrict yourself too much... you're just going to binge anyways.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    There are foods I can't buy and have in my house because I have zero self control with them. I know this about myself so I don't buy cookies. I still eat them but have to make an effort to get one so I don't binge on them. I've also discovered that some foods just aren't worth the calorie bomb even though I really like them (bagels with cream cheese immediately coming to mind). Other than that though, I still eat everything but just make certain it fits my calories for the day or if it's a big event I plan for it throughout the week. I'm in this forever and have no plans to give up foods I love for the rest of my life.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I kind of did this for the first couple of weeks when I started trying to lose weight. It wasn't intentional. It just kind of happened along with the process. It worked for me, because it kept me from having the cravings. I still only have them very, very rarely, when before I craved cheese fries everyday. I find that first couple of weeks is key for me to just avoid the things I crave so much....kind of like a detox. After that, I can add them back in and enjoy them without going overboard.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Eh. I'd say the better way to fight your tendency to binge is to fight your tendency to binge. Look for healthier versions of the foods you love the most and figure out how to work them into your macronutrient goals. Deprivation sucks.

nailed it
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I think when you are just starting out it can be helpful to avoid the foods that are especially tempting. I wouldn't expect to avoid those foods forever, but once you've practiced portion control and calorie counting for a bit, you may find it easier to add in reasonable amounts of pizza etc. I do think it's dangerous to have an all or nothing attitude. Your week isn't shot because you ate a whole pizza... although your day probably is .. but one ridiculously huge dinner isn't going to ruin your weight loss efforts.
  • fat2fabulous29
    Options
    Why would you need to do that? Can't you make room for it in your calories and macros, and have self control? If you cut things out that you love or restrict yourself too much... you're just going to binge anyways.

Because I lack self control and on a more health conscious note, majority of the foods I Love eating actually make me sick such as headaches or digestion issues. Thanks for your kind words of inspiration!
  • fat2fabulous29
    Options
    I kind of did this for the first couple of weeks when I started trying to lose weight. It wasn't intentional. It just kind of happened along with the process. It worked for me, because it kept me from having the cravings. I still only have them very, very rarely, when before I craved cheese fries everyday. I find that first couple of weeks is key for me to just avoid the things I crave so much....kind of like a detox. After that, I can add them back in and enjoy them without going overboard.

That's inspiring. Thanks for sharing!
  • fat2fabulous29
    Options

Good thoughts. Thanks!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I've had no success with this because when I deprive myself I end up bingeing hardcore. Just learn balance and you should not have a problem.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You could also get scales to start weighing your food portions. I have one in my kitchen and one at my desk at work.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Because I lack self control and on a more health conscious note, majority of the foods I Love eating actually make me sick such as headaches or digestion issues. Thanks for your kind words of inspiration!

You're welcome.
    Honest is honest. If you restrict foods you love, you're going to binge. It's pretty simple. If you don't have the self control, you need to learn it. There is not magic cure if you can't control yourself. Good luck on your goals.:drinker:
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm in this forever and have no plans to give up foods I love for the rest of my life.

^^ This!

As someone else said.. Learn to control your tendency to binge. And don't beat yourself up if you do either! It is a process and it takes time. Personally for me.. cutting out foods makes me binge more than if I had just allowed myself to indulge a bit when I really wanted to. Try to stay in your calories for now.. work toward staying in your macros when you get the hang of it. Keep your triggers out of the house.

Also.. read this. It will really help get you on the right path!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I just need to give up the foods from the familiar places. I will still eat french fries, but I won't go into Wendy's, for example.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with binging, and it's a constant battle. I found I was more likely to binge when I was severely restricting my calories (I'd "be good" during the week when life was structured and eat probably 1100-1300 calories a day, but 3000-5000 calories on the weekend). I was so hungry I'd cram anything in sight down my throat. I would try to not buy trigger foods, but I'd still binge, which just lead the the strangest binges ever. Cans of corn, loaves of bread, etc.

Once I started eating more food every day, I was binging less. But, I still have trigger foods. For now, with foods I still can't control myself around, I buy a single serving or order one serving out at a restaurant. Over time, I've improved, and I can now have some things in my house, but still not super huge quantities.

And I will still binge. I acknowledge it, log it, and move on.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

perhaps eating yourself sick would be a thought on moderation not restriction?
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't give up the food you love :frown: Have it, but only occasionally. and when you do have it, you will probably find you can savour it and enjoy it way more than you did before :smile: I was given a box of fancy chocolates from Hotel Chocolat for Christmas and now and again I treat myself to one or two. And I eat them slowly, savouring every bite, rather than throwing them into my mouth and reaching for the next one a millisecond later like I used to :embarassed: I think the same will apply to your pizza, have it now and again, but choose a really nice one and ENJOY :happy: