Shakeology vs. Vega One - Unbiased opinion

Options
hww51
hww51 Posts: 17 Member
Hi. I don't work for either company that makes Shakeology or Vega One. I tried Shakeology based on a referral from a friend - for a month (vanilla flavour) and really found it great. Mixed with fruit, almond or coconut milk or Greek yogurt it made a really great satisfying breakfast that kept me going. In conjunction with counting calories and 3-4 dates with the elliptical each week I lost 8 lbs over the month which I was very happy with. The downside is that this is am American product available only on-line, and it's costly to buy it, particularly now with the exchange rate. So, I tried a sample pack of Vega One - a Canadian product which has good reviews. I can't say that I was impressed, I found the taste quite cloying and it didn't seem to satisfy me the same as Shakeology, although the price is less and its easy to find in Toronto at the grocery or health food store. I've decided to make my own version of shakes and juices for a month and see how it goes, but if I return to a meal replacement it will be Shakeology. If your decision is on price alone - Vega One is the way to go, but Shakeology tastes better and keeps you fuller longer.

Replies

• peebeebs
    Options
    A friend of mine uses Shakeology and absolutely loves it. I have tried Body By Vi as well as Whey Isolate; both of which I really enjoy, but I don't know a lot about this stuff, the only thing I know is that I am extremely picky when it comes to taste and I liked both of these a lot.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    There isn't a need for shakes or anything, and there is nothing magical about any of those shakes... I'd rather spend the $100+ on an actual cart of groceries. You only need to eat at a deficit to lose the weight...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    my unbiased opinion - ditch the shakes, eat real food, and stay in a calorie deficit....

the only thing these "meal replacement shakes" lighten is your wallet.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    my unbiased opinion - ditch the shakes, eat real food, and stay in a calorie deficit....

THIS ^^^^
  • sparkellet
    Options
    I agree. I hate reading the ingredients list. I want to eat as pure and clean as possible but I am in need of some serious protein in the AM when I am on the go (leaving the gym and rushing to work). Any suggestions? A bar or shake would be great and convenient but I really don't want to put chemicals and crap in my body.
  • cinderoosky
    cinderoosky Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delayed response...

Sparkellet:

I started with just a regular protein powder that was called "Slimming Smoothie" from Bulu Box to mix with a cup of frozen berries and almond milk in the morning. I recently started using Shakeology just to see if I could tell the difference. They have the same amount of protein but Shakeology has more vitamins than my normal shake.

In any case, I didn't take the shake way just to "lose weight". It's a good meal alternative when I'm in a rush and can't make something if I lose track of time in the gym in the morning. You should check both out. The one from Bulu Box is only $49 usually-- you can catch a sale with it also that usually saves you $10ish.

Good luck! :)
  • funmaof2
    funmaof2 Posts: 4
    Options
    sparkellet,
    There are some great, wholesome recipes on SkinnyMs.com and allrecipes.com. Both sites have breakfast ideas that you can prepare ahead of time for grab and go.
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you are using it for a protein boost ... ditch the vega one and move on to Vega-One Sport. It is very good tasting and has double the protein of vega-one for the same price. It is equally as clean (no allergens) and way more satisfying.

I have never tried shakeology but I have used a ton of different protein shakes for a pre/post workout protein boost and vega sport is by far one of my favourites!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Yup, this, epic quantities of this. Shakes are for those days when you need the extra protein but cant bring yourself to eat anything, and even then it's pushing it.

Rigger
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've been using Shakeology for 3 years and love it. If you read the ingredients, you'll see why it costs more than others. (Plus the ingredients are all around the world so they need to be shipped, etc.) With all of the nutrients in it, it keeps me from craving bad stuff, and it keeps me full, so I actually end up breaking even because I no longer have the urge to buy that bag of chips or snack when I don't really need it. As a bonus, it's also improved my hair and nails, obviously not the main reason to get it, but a nice side effect. ;)

Whatever you do, just make sure you compare the ingredient list on both. These can be great additions to a healthy diet because of the dense nutrients, just compare the nutrition labels to see the differences, and then weigh whether the pros/cons are worth the additional/lower price for each one.
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just eat food.
  • Gabbysmom23
    Gabbysmom23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree eat food. But when you are a busy full time working single mom on the go, when you are hungry when out and about, I think grabbing a healthy protein shake is a better option than grabbing mc Donald's, dontcha think?

I've been known to skip the gym because It's a choice between the gym and cooking. I've become hypoglycemic while running around because I didn't want to eat something unhealthy, but couldn't get to food.

So, before we bash protein shakes, it's a healthy lifestyle option for is really trying hard to maintain a healthy like while barely having time to pee most days.
  • BradWI
    BradWI Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Less than 20 grams of protein AND $4 per serving? NO THANKS!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see an MLM product and the words "unbiased opinion" I always think....that sounds legit.
  • Helpmegetaname
    Helpmegetaname Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hate it how people say, "just eat food" or "as long as you eat a calorie deficit then you will lose weight so eat food not protein shakes". This is one thing that is harder said then done. Yes, I agree that as long as your eating a calories deficit you will lose weight, but you also should combat that with healthy exercise. And while some people say "just eat food" it can be extremely hard for some people to contain the portion sizes or eat the right kinds of food. I bought Shakeology and I love it. Shakeology has helped me curve me food cravings so I won't break my diet plan. I combined Shakeology with a workout plan and diet that helps me figure out my serving sizes, and helps me figure out what types of foods I should be eating and in what quantity.

Another thing people complain about is how it tastes nasty. Umm, hello? It's a protein shake. I have never had a protein shake that tasted good on its own. But most of the time you can make smoothies or recipes with the powder and they actually taste really good! I hate how people just expect the shake to taste like a sugar loaded milkshake or smoothie. It doesn't work that way.

I am not promoting that everybody should drink Shakeology and have my same diet plan. What works for one person, may not work for another, but it is extremely negative for people to bash others for not following the diet plan that they believe is the best. As long as the person is making healthier life choices than they were before it should be supportive. :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I hate it how people say, "just eat food" or "as long as you eat a calorie deficit then you will lose weight so eat food not protein shakes". This is one thing that is harder said then done. Yes, I agree that as long as your eating a calories deficit you will lose weight, but you also should combat that with healthy exercise. And while some people say "just eat food" it can be extremely hard for some people to contain the portion sizes or eat the right kinds of food. I bought Shakeology and I love it. Shakeology has helped me curve me food cravings so I won't break my diet plan. I combined Shakeology with a workout plan and diet that helps me figure out my serving sizes, and helps me figure out what types of foods I should be eating and in what quantity.

Another thing people complain about is how it tastes nasty. Umm, hello? It's a protein shake. I have never had a protein shake that tasted good on its own. But most of the time you can make smoothies or recipes with the powder and they actually taste really good! I hate how people just expect the shake to taste like a sugar loaded milkshake or smoothie. It doesn't work that way.

I am not promoting that everybody should drink Shakeology and have my same diet plan. What works for one person, may not work for another, but it is extremely negative for people to bash others for not following the diet plan that they believe is the best. As long as the person is making healthier life choices than they were before it should be supportive. :smile:

I have had plenty of protein shakes that taste good on itself. Shakeology taste like chalk. So why would anyone want to spend $100 per bag on a supplement that you have to then spend more money to make it taste good?
  • Frazzle441
    Options
    I'm going to check out Vega Sport as a previous poster said. I tried Shakeology for a few months a couple years back and I do really like it but it's just not in my budget. I'd like something cheaper (but still good) that I can whip up in the morning for myself and my teen daughter. She's super picky but would enjoy a smoothie and this gets in some good protein and some vitamins. Otherwise, she'll go with nothing some mornings. For me, I need more protein so this is a fast and easy way to get it in. Not saying I'll do this everyday because I abhor routine but it's a great option. I do wish I could afford Shakeology as it tastes great but I can't.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I agree that as long as your eating a calories deficit you will lose weight, but you also should combat that with healthy exercise. And while some people say "just eat food" it can be extremely hard for some people to contain the portion sizes or eat the right kinds of food.
    Extremely hard to contain portion sizes?
    Put aside a tiny portion of the money required for a month of Shakeology and buy a food scale. Also, learning proper nutrition isn't difficult. It's not a secret, the information is free and accessible to everyone.

Eat real food + maintain a calorie deficit. Expensive shakes are not required.