How often do you do strength training?

Options
I usually do 15-20 minutes once a week..should I try it more often?

Replies

• MrBuckeye
    Options
    I do it every other day.
  • keybelle
    Options
    I do it every other day. When you build muscle you burn more calories, even at rest. I was just walking before and not seeing any fitness improvement. I added the strength training and it made a tremendous difference.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    1 hour of strength training...1 hours of cardio every day...and supposedly 1 day of rest, but I usually do cardio on that day also.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I strength train almost more than I do cardio. I get in 90 minutes of cardio a week and when I lift, its 3x a week for as long as it takes me to finish my workout sets.. probably 30-45 minutes. I like weights better.. makes me feel stronger and I feel like it gives me more changes to my body shape and weight distribution than just cardio.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I do strength training almost every day for 30-45 minutes. The SECRET is to focus on just one body part each session and make sure to eat lots of protein (without going over your daily calorie intake, of course). Experts say to work the body 2-3 times a week but that is working the ENTIRE body. So if you split it up between different parts and you need to do each part 2x a week, then this way works out great.

For example, Monday I will work only arms/shoulders, Tuesday I will work abs, Weds I will work legs/glutes, and then Thursday back to upper body (and do it all over again!)

A high-protein diet has worked wonders for me. I have begun to show great toning in all the right places, and for the first time in my LIFE, my legs look great! I do rest one day a week for my body to repair and strengthen itself.

Good luck!
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I strength train 3 days a week
  • ms_april
    ms_april Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii fit to do basic strength training (push ups, lunges etc) for 20 minutes 3 times a week then do a few sets of bicep curls and tricep extensions with free weights. It doesn't sound like much but I have seen changes in my body. I can tell a huge difference in how difficult it is for me to complete my little 20 minute routine too; those lunges killed me at first and now I can knock out several sets without trouble.
  • Charlie001
    Options
    1 hour of strength training...1 hours of cardio every day...and supposedly 1 day of rest, but I usually do cardio on that day also.

Me too.:drinker:
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Hi WalkingGirl.

Generally you should do strength training at least 2-3x a week. That being said...it doesn't need to be an extensive workout. What's important is that you challenge yourself and try and do a little more with each workout.

Remember, it's not how long you're doing the training, it's what you do in the time you're there.

I am guessing you're a beginner, so on that I would recommend to simply do the three basic movements to start: Squat, Push and Pull...with a couple sets of each.

That will serve to get the blood pumping in your large muscle groups and give your metabolism a boost as well.

There are an infinite number of exercises you can do....you can even try something different each time.

Set a goal for a given workout, and try and beat it the next workout. It's a constant progression that leads to continued results.

Cheers,

Craig
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Me too.:drinker:
    That's why we got the guns! flex.gif
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do a ton of yoga, which strengthens and targets certain parts of your body. You don't have to lift weights to get in your strength training. I do it almost every day, but only because it's usually coupled with cardio. I might have one rest day because I don't usually target the same body parts. I just get cranky if I don't exercise.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I usually do 15-20 minutes once a week..should I try it more often?

Yes.

I strength train a hour 2-3 days a week.
  • k_eye
    k_eye Posts: 18
    Options
    I do a mix of cardio - wgt training. so in 20-30 mins I get my cardio going do a full body workout with mtpl muscles targetting..

ex - lunges w curls, squats w presses, toss in a ab and a 2-5 min bike session - wash rinse repeat the small circuit a few times. It keeps my HR up and I get a muscular workout out of it. And make sure to keep em fast paced so its kinda like a HIIT. :)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yes. You need to strength train more than that. You should look into a lifting program to help you, there are plenty out there for free.

I personally strength train 3 times a week for approximately an hour.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Strength training is my favorite part of exercise. I work with my kettlebell routine 4 days a week and do cardio four days a week. I run or do elliptical on my non weight days and on Saturday, I do both, easy weights and long run.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    My mom told me when I was born, i had no muscle tone..none..so now when im trying to work on strength its a lot more harder for me then it would be with everyone else. I'm so sloppy..I try to work on standing on one leg and do simple extensions..that only lasts a few seconds before i feel like im going to lose my balance.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My mom told me when I was born, i had no muscle tone..none..so now when im trying to work on strength its a lot more harder for me then it would be with everyone else. I'm so sloppy..I try to work on standing on one leg and do simple extensions..that only lasts a few seconds before i feel like im going to lose my balance.

I'm not trying to sound mean. I'm really really not, and granted it is very hard to put written word into context. But this ^^^^^ really just sounds like an excuse you've given yourself to not put much effort into strength training.

You've lost 50 lbs. That right there tells me you have had to have muscle to just carry around that extra weight.
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I try to do it 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I know I could probably do more, but I can't fit it into my schedule right now. I'm about to have foot surgery in January so I will do it 5 times a week. I know I won't be able to do much cardio so I figure I would increase my strength training.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options

I'm not trying to sound mean. I'm really really not, and granted it is very hard to put written word into context. But this ^^^^^ really just sounds like an excuse you've given yourself to not put much effort into strength training.

You've lost 50 lbs. That right there tells me you have had to have muscle to just carry around that extra weight.

I'm sorry..im not saying it like im trying to get out of it...i start slow and will get up there.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options

I'm sorry..im not saying it like im trying to get out of it...i start slow and will get up there.