Sugar Cravings

Options
I am in need of some advice. I get super intense cravings for sugar that I honestly feel like I am powerless over, once they start it seems like the only solution is to go to the convenience store and buy candy or get a McFlurry from McDonalds. **It's really hard for me to admit this** I have tried drinking water when these cravings come but it's really hard, I'm starting to feel really discouraged. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated!!

Replies

• vmatare
    Options
    Have you tried eating fruit? Melons or berries or a small apple or yogurt might be helpful. Another possibility might be smoothies with fruit & vegetables (like those green smoothies). I know that some brands like special K, Fiber One & others have low fat & low calorie options like brownies that are 90 calories. However, in those prepackaged items there is probably a lot of sodium & weird ingredients for preservatives. I think if as much as possible you eat real food then it is better for you. You can still have some sweet things, but be careful to do so in moderation.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest mistake people make is restrticting their diet and avoiding foods... I say, if you like those things, make room for it in your macros and calories for the day.

Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition, cutting out sugar or sodium or "other weird ingredients" isn't necessary.

Is your diary open? How much are you eating? What is your activity level? Age, Height?
  • cashaden
    cashaden Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My only advice would be to try to avoid sugar for a week or two. If you are able to make it through those two weeks you may find that your cravings are much less intense and easier to ignore. Then if you do decide to have a sugary treat you may be able to stop yourself after 1 serving. I personally have noticed that after I have a beer I will get more sugar cravings. Good luck.
  • peebeebs
    Options
    Have you tried eating fruit? Melons or berries or a small apple or yogurt might be helpful. Another possibility might be smoothies with fruit & vegetables (like those green smoothies). I know that some brands like special K, Fiber One & others have low fat & low calorie options like brownies that are 90 calories. However, in those prepackaged items there is probably a lot of sodium & weird ingredients for preservatives. I think if as much as possible you eat real food then it is better for you. You can still have some sweet things, but be careful to do so in moderation.

That's a good idea actually. I will try this next time they come up and let you know how it goes. Thanks :)
  • charlychops
    Options
    Maybe try finding something sweet that isn't as bad... What about fruit like strawberries and rasberries with meringue? Or dark chocolate? Do you have these cravings every day?
  • peebeebs
    Options
    Maybe try finding something sweet that isn't as bad... What about fruit like strawberries and rasberries with meringue? Or dark chocolate? Do you have these cravings every day?

Yea I have them daily, usually late at night. Do you think it would be ok if I ate canned peaches? I know those are sweet and I really like peaches, but if they're canned are they not very good for you? I guess anything is better than what I have been eating.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Well that depends. Are you the type that can handle eating some simple sugars or treats in moderation? If so, make those things you enjoy part of your day. Fit it into your macros. It's what most people call IIFYM. If-It-Fits-Your-Macros. So, if after you have filled your daily requirements for say protein and you've ate a good balanced days food. You know, Got your micronutrients for the day. With some fruit and leafy vegetables. You have about 30 to 45 grams of carbs left and say 10-15 grams of fat left. Fit in a good tasting whatever you want to have in those macros. Ice cream, cake, candy, you name it. When you get good at this you will be able to do it with different foods that you may have a craving for and still hit your macros and be in a caloric deficit. You will still lose weight while doing so. Notice I did not say you can eat however much you want and still lose weight which is what most non IIFYM people get butt hurt about. You will have to learn how to stop at a serving size of ice cream or cookies or whatever. It will make dropping fat so much more enjoyable. If you can't handle this yet and food like that will cause you to completely fall of the wagon and binge for days and weeks then IIFYM isn't for you. You will have to limit your treats to once or twice a week. Hope this helps.
  • ef21178
    ef21178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem...sugar is my Achilles heel. I've learned that in order to combat them sometimes you just have to give in. Make room for them in your day, plan it out from the beginning. That way, you can have sweets and still lose weight. That's honestly the best way that I know to deal with them. Good luck!
  • peebeebs
    Options
    I think the biggest mistake people make is restrticting their diet and avoiding foods... I say, if you like those things, make room for it in your macros and calories for the day.

Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition, cutting out sugar or sodium or "other weird ingredients" isn't necessary.

Is your diary open? How much are you eating? What is your activity level? Age, Height?

I just changed the settings on my diary to public. I am 22, 5'3", 103lbs, low activity level (I am not currently going to the gym, but I take my dog for walks and I am currently doing a 30 day squat challenge and a 30 day ab challenge). I am usually under my calorie goal, which isn't on purpose; I am not trying to lose weight, I am just trying to get into better shape. My diet is starting to really bother me and makes me feel really depressed some days. It's been tough but I feel like I have hit my bottom and I am ready to turn things around.

I am new to MFP and I haven't had great success in logging my food intake, but now that it is public maybe that will motivate me to be more disciplined with it.
  • lowfatveg
    lowfatveg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like sweet things to really love home baked cake ,cookies and puddings and refuse to give up what I enjoy ,I enjoy cooking and baking and eating what I have made so I do try to make room for them
  • peebeebs
    Options
    My only advice would be to try to avoid sugar for a week or two. If you are able to make it through those two weeks you may find that your cravings are much less intense and easier to ignore. Then if you do decide to have a sugary treat you may be able to stop yourself after 1 serving. I personally have noticed that after I have a beer I will get more sugar cravings. Good luck.

That is a good idea too. I have heard before that the longer you stay away from sugar the less intense your cravings are. I think another reason that I have sugar cravings is because I quit drinking, I used to drink a lot and I have been told that when you quit one addiction sometimes another can sprout up...
  • peebeebs
    Options
    Well that depends. Are you the type that can handle eating some simple sugars or treats in moderation? If so, make those things you enjoy part of your day. Fit it into your macros. It's what most people call IIFYM. If-It-Fits-Your-Macros. So, if after you have filled your daily requirements for say protein and you've ate a good balanced days food. You know, Got your micronutrients for the day. With some fruit and leafy vegetables. You have about 30 to 45 grams of carbs left and say 10-15 grams of fat left. Fit in a good tasting whatever you want to have in those macros. Ice cream, cake, candy, you name it. When you get good at this you will be able to do it with different foods that you may have a craving for and still hit your macros and be in a caloric deficit. You will still lose weight while doing so. Notice I did not say you can eat however much you want and still lose weight which is what most non IIFYM people get butt hurt about. You will have to learn how to stop at a serving size of ice cream or cookies or whatever. It will make dropping fat so much more enjoyable. If you can't handle this yet and food like that will cause you to completely fall of the wagon and binge for days and weeks then IIFYM isn't for you. You will have to limit your treats to once or twice a week. Hope this helps.

I actually don't know anything really about macros so this sounds really interesting. I am going to look into this, thank you!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem...sugar is my Achilles heel. I've learned that in order to combat them sometimes you just have to give in. Make room for them in your day, plan it out from the beginning. That way, you can have sweets and still lose weight. That's honestly the best way that I know to deal with them. Good luck!

This really is good advice. Give it a try.

I have a sugar issue too. I did find that I could conquer it if I could will my way through two weeks without it. After that the cravings went away. But if you can just work it into your diet, there's no reason you can't include it.

(edit) Especially if you don't need to lose weight.
  • peebeebs
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for all of the advice, I am feeling really motivated, ready, and able to turn things around.
  • Smileygirl20
    Options
    Ooooh me god! I absolutely do the Mcflurry thing (double choc fudge) - so delicious but actually disgusting! LETS STOP!!

I find that if I feel bored/sad or some other rubbishy emotion I like to comfort myself with sugary treats.. BUT it's no comfort at all. Not really. Water is a poor assistance - but some flavoured cocnut waters are quite good/nice and are excellent hydration (better than plain old water apparently) anyway... That is my flatmates trick and I'm going to try it too....

Good luck. Sugar is evil!!!
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    One thing I like is peanut butter protein balls for a sugar-fix. A scoop of protein powder, a drizzle of honey, add enough PB to make it peanut butter ball consistency and store them in the fridge. I add just a few chocolate chips to it too. :)
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I looked at your calorie goal... you're on the MFP standard of 1200, which even though you're shorter and small, may be too little for you. I did some quick and dirty calculations.

Your TDEE (I based it on 12 hours of rest and 12 hours of very light activity): 1614
    Your BMR is 1291

Since it seems you have SO little to lose, a 1/2 pound a week goal should be sufficient, and any more than that is too aggressive. I calculated a 10% deficit, and you could eat roughly 1400-1450 calories every day. I'd suggest setting your macro nutrient levels (carbs/fats/protein) top 40/20/40. So, 40% of your calories come from carbs and protein, and 20% from fats.

Stick with any changes you make for at least a month.... and work your favorite foods in to your goal. IIFYM, there are no restrictions. Use your self control and get your booty in gear.

There, that's my adopt a newb love for the month. If you need more help, PM me, or add me as a friend.

Peace out! :flowerforyou:
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options

I actually don't know anything really about macros so this sounds really interesting. I am going to look into this, thank you!

I didn't either when I started. I knew protein cause every man know protein from the bodybuilding magazines. Macros are carbs, protein, and fat. Start with playing with your protein. You don't need anything crazy in the amount of protein. I would suggest more than MFP suggest in the default macros though. Maybe start with 20-25% of your calories from protein. not sure how many calories your are trying to consume a day. 25-30% from fat and the rest from carbs. Don't be afraid of carbs. They are great and will help. Let me know if you want to know anything else about macros or calories. You can add me as a friend. We all need help at times with this journey. I've dropped 75 pounds the incorrect way and gained 45 of it back. Now I've droped that the correct way and know how to keep if off. Good luck.
  • fluteplay
    Options
    Don't wait too long to eat... have little snacks between meals....a little handful of nuts, a half apple and some peanut butter, a cup of V8, a cracker pack, a cup of 2% milk to name a few...this will help keep blood sugars level and reduce cravings. That s for the physical... mental is another matter also yikes on chocolate... a little is good. especially the darker kinds. :)
    :wink:
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options
    I looked at your calorie goal... you're on the MFP standard of 1200, which even though you're shorter and small, may be too little for you. I did some quick and dirty calculations.

Your TDEE (I based it on 12 hours of rest and 12 hours of very light activity): 1614
    Your BMR is 1291

Since it seems you have SO little to lose, a 1/2 pound a week goal should be sufficient, and any more than that is too aggressive. I calculated a 10% deficit, and you could eat roughly 1400-1450 calories every day. I'd suggest setting your macro nutrient levels (carbs/fats/protein) top 40/20/40. So, 40% of your calories come from carbs and protein, and 20% from fats.

Stick with any changes you make for at least a month.... and work your favorite foods in to your goal. IIFYM, there are no restrictions. Use your self control and get your booty in gear.

There, that's my adopt a newb love for the month. If you need more help, PM me, or add me as a friend.

Peace out! :flowerforyou:

This seems about right. I was doing the same thing on your calories and weight. The only thing I would say different is to have a little more fat. I don't suggest having fat below 25% of calories. In small cases and even then 20% is the lowest. Try this or try a 40/30/30 split. Gives you some more fat to play with and learn IIFYM. Thats 40 carbs, 30 protein, and 30 fat. Also remember fat doesn't make you fat. Eating in a caloric surpluc does.