Tall Women with 80+ lbs to Lose

Options

Replies

• bg192905
    bg192905 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was able to get my workout clothes at Lane Bryant online. They had a 50% sale. I love the bra and the yoga pants. I dont feel like Huck Finn in the gym. My knees hurt as I gain and as I lose but then seem to stop until the next stage. I am trying to strenthen the rest of my leg muscles to help my knees.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    I'm only 5'9" with 30lbs to lose total so I might not fit in here, but I wanted to say that my friend who is 6'2" swears by her Buckle Jeans. She was a hoops player in college and her legs are SO LONG. They're kind of expensive as jeans go, but they last a long time and have all sorts of different washes!

Good luck to y'all! :drinker:
  • Gshort78
    Gshort78 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love tall women. This is the greatest thread ever...:love:
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses!! Glad to see I am no tth eonly amazonite out there struggling with these issues! :)

@BG - I jsut hit up that sale actually haha. B1G1! I do love the new sports bras..as a larger chested lady its super hard to find a comfortable sports bra that actually covers everything! They are pricey but worth it. :)

All of you ladies rock!! Feel free to add me as well and thanks to the ladies who posted pics! :)

Im starting back up monday after moving out of my exes place..its going to be all about me..my routine..my meals..my schedule. hoping i can finally get on track with this. And its always so much easier to relate to people who have similar shapes and issues as you do!

Ive actually decided to NOT buy anymore clothes until i get into an 18. Torrid,LB and Sports Authority have been the only places ive tried for clothes/workout gear. i feel frumpy in LB stuff and too old in some of Torrids stuff..plus Torrid has gotten super cheap with their fabrics and qualities :/
  • MaryEllen0331
    Options
    Count me in! I am 6' tall and understand completely. I started on here at 267, am at 257 now...want to get to 180.

I currently take a size 20 pants (tall, of course!) and a 24 shirt. Apple shaped. size 12 shoe also! (big woman, big feet).

48 yrs old
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3, so I definitely feel some of your problems! Feel free to add me :)

At this point I've got about 35 lbs left to lose.

Anyone have knee problems? I've had several, mostly with my patella tendon, but I was wondering if that was just all the sports, or a common tall-girl problem.

I have knee pain and Plantar Fasciitis (foot/heel pain) so I know where you're coming from. Mine is probably from being overweight the whole 23 years of my life so far but I find as I lose and work out to strengthen the problem areas it gets easier to manage. You could always try getting a brace too, knees aren't something to ignore, from my personal experience.
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    HI, I am 6'2", and started out with 80 lbs to lose, about half way there. Been a long journey.

Feel free to add me!
  • kelseypalmer1614
    kelseypalmer1614 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'9" with 30lbs to lose total so I might not fit in here, but I wanted to say that my friend who is 6'2" swears by her Buckle Jeans. She was a hoops player in college and her legs are SO LONG. They're kind of expensive as jeans go, but they last a long time and have all sorts of different washes!

Good luck to y'all! :drinker:

The only thing with Buckle, is that they are SO dang expensive! Before I discovered Alloy.com, that was the only place I could buy pants, but could only get 1-2 a year, due to the price. I do love them though lol.
  • kelseypalmer1614
    kelseypalmer1614 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3, so I definitely feel some of your problems! Feel free to add me :)

At this point I've got about 35 lbs left to lose.

Anyone have knee problems? I've had several, mostly with my patella tendon, but I was wondering if that was just all the sports, or a common tall-girl problem.

I have knee pain and Plantar Fasciitis (foot/heel pain) so I know where you're coming from. Mine is probably from being overweight the whole 23 years of my life so far but I find as I lose and work out to strengthen the problem areas it gets easier to manage. You could always try getting a brace too, knees aren't something to ignore, from my personal experience.

I played volleyball in college and had a whole mess of stuff for my knees. Straps, special ways to tape them, sleeves, etc. As I haven't torn anything yet (knock on wood), I don't have a brace. But I've got just about everything else lol. Right before my senior year of college I ended up with holes in my patella tendon. The doc pretty much said it looked like swiss cheese . . . not good. So I definitely am with you on knee problems being a big deal. I put on weight after college (no mandatory workouts anymore, and i gain weight . . . imagine that lol), and my knees got worse. Been trying ever since to lose weight and take some of the added stress off of them.

Luckily, I work at a physical therapy clinic, so whenever they hurt a lot, I just do some treatment on myself, or have one of the therapists check it out when they're not busy. lol
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

I'm 5'11, lost 80 lbs in 2012 and have been maintaining with ease for almost one year. I tackled my weight loss a little differently than most people...I did not focus on what I weighed, but I concentrated on getting fitter and stronger and the weight and inches eventually came off. It did take a while for others to notice and it it seems like it too forever to lose a dress size which was both very frustrating, but I knew good things were happening so I kept pushing forward.

I can relate to a lot of your struggles. Here's what I did to overcome them:

Emotional Eating:
    I think this is more of a mental thing, at least for me it was. I used to use food to celebrate, or whenever I was sad, angry, bored, but especially while watching tv or sports at night. I had to deprogram myself to use food as fuel and not as a tool to make me feel better. It took a while but I eventually got use to not eating all of the time.

Eating out of Boredom:
    This was a big problem for me, especially at night. It wasn't until I started writing down everything I ate I saw a pattern that eating 6 times per day was making me hungry since I was rarely satisfied.

I tried eating a big meal later part of the morning, a small snack in the middle of the afternoon and a small/medium dinner and I'm done eating for the day. Eating this way helped me to stop eating all day and it really helped me to stop snacking after dinner too.

Finding work out clothes:
    I have no choice but to shop around and try on things. I haven't found a store or a brand that has workout pants that fit me off the rack.

I tend to buy workout pants that fit at a large size and have my tailor fit it to my body. This works well for me because my waist and hips has an 11 inch difference which adds another issue for finding things that fit properly. I do wish some workout bottoms come with an inseam size like they do in jeans.

It can be tough out here for clothing options for a tall girl, but I wouldn't have it any other way. :)
  • ketotallette
    Options
    Hi! I'm 32, 5'11.5". SW 247 CW 232 GW 180.

I'd love some fellow tall lady friends on MFP! Feel free to add me.

I was stick thin until I was about 14, I've been overweight to varying degrees ever since. Haven't seen below 200 in over 10 years (ouch). I avoided scales at my highest weight but I'd estimate it at 260-270, about 7 years ago. Lost ~60 and gained back about 30, I tend to hover around 220 and a size 14. I got down to around 210 before my wedding 2.5 years ago, then the weight crept back on. My problem areas are upper arms, back, and lower abdomen, I'm a kind of hourglass/apple mix. I've always been naturally strong, I've had my bone density tested and it's nearly off the charts. From some calculations I'm at about 160 lb of lean body mass.

I've had success in the past with simple calorie counting, but I've switched to a low-carb high-fat diet and it's working out really well so far. I am able to stay at 1400-1700 calories/day without feeling weak, cold, slow, or *****y. :) I have a rowing machine I love to use and I try to go out for a quick walk as often as weather allows, which right now isn't often.
  • gerri312
    Options
    Hello,

I joined a long time ago but this is my first go and being active. I am 6'1 and 250lbs. I want to loose 50-60 lbs. I am a nurse so on my feet a lot. My knees don't bother me but my back does. I really want to loose some of my arms and thighs.

I hate calorie counting and probably suck at it. I am working on it though.

I shop at avenue.torrib.oldnavy tall
  • catchtheislands
    catchtheislands Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have frozen veggies on my knees and shins every time I do HIT which is everyday now since I am discovering how fast it melts the fat off my butt.
  • catchtheislands
    catchtheislands Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I joined a long time ago but this is my first go and being active. I am 6'1 and 250lbs. I want to loose 50-60 lbs. I am a nurse so on my feet a lot. My knees don't bother me but my back does. I really want to loose some of my arms and thighs.

I hate calorie counting and probably suck at it. I am working on it though.

I shop at avenue.torrib.oldnavy tall

My back was killing me until I bought a gawd what was it called. sleep innovations mattress on Amazon. Freaking amazing. Also stretching for at least 10 count in the am really made a difference. I am sure you already know how important good shoes are.
  • gobigred5898
    gobigred5898 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Re - meal planning.

I got a Groupon for Emeals and choose the Low Cal Family plan. Some of the meals are a little strange, but I'm trying to be open minded and trying new things. My son is a different story. :-)

The plan I chose includes 7 dinners and a grocery list, which they send on Wednesday. I go to the store before Monday and pick up what I need for that week. As a working mom I have constantly struggled with planning, so this has really helped. I have noticed that they try to use all of what you buy for the week, like, if you need fresh pineapple, there are 2 times that you'll use it, so there's no waste once you figure in breakfast and lunch (which I'm doing on my own). With the Groupon, the plan only cost $29 for a year - regular price $58.

I hope that this is helpful.
  • bonnyibee
    bonnyibee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 32, 5'11.5". SW 247 CW 232 GW 180.

I've had success in the past with simple calorie counting, but I've switched to a low-carb high-fat diet and it's working out really well so far. I am able to stay at 1400-1700 calories/day without feeling weak, cold, slow, or *****y. :)

Um, are you me? I (re)started weight loss in January at 248 and weighed in today at 232. I would love to get down to 180. I'm almost 6'2" though. I did calorie counting when I lost weight before, but I'm totally digging keto now!
  • Penchant4Words
    Options
    I'm 6'1" and started out at 285. My husband found out about a month ago that he was going to have to go on insulin and since then, our lifestyle has done a complete 180! I'm currently 270 and am working my way down to 180. I totally get what you mean about the emotional eating and eating out of boredom!

For workout clothes, I've been getting my pants at Old Navy. Online they have a tall section that is longer then the longs they carry instore. With all the sales ON runs, they're pretty inexpensive to replace as the weight comes off.

I've been working out for 6 days a week, usually 45 minutes on the treadmill with steep inclines. My husband has been rocking the elliptical but I tried it once and it really hurt my knees. This past week I've started using the weight machines at our gym and think the leg press has been helping with knee aches.

Keep up the good fight ladies! You are all AMAZING!
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Tagging this for future reference. :) 6' with 92 to lose.
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hi, can completely relate to pretty much everything you said! I am 36F married sahm to 3 kiddos. I am 5'11 and sw was 330 am currently 277. My goal is to lose 150 and go from there. I am exhausted right now but will check back in with more later :)
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Can I join? Please. I've 160-lbs to lose. Thanks