Afraid of the scale

Options
I've just moved into a new flat and I'm going to buy a scale today. I'm hoping I've lost some weight as I've been eating only 1300 cals a day for the past couple of weeks. Any loss will be a progress.

I know some people say that one shouldn't focus on the scale, but I don't only want to tone up, I want to lose fat, and I know that the extra lbs which added on Christmas and the months before is pure fat - and I'm heavier.

The thing is I'm so terribly afraid that I haven't lost anything or worse - have gained. I get so easily demotivated and upset by such things, when you've tried and failed. The reason I'm worried is that I do'nt feel slimmer. In the past 1300 cals have always forced me to go to bed somewhat hungry, and I've also lost. But now I'm doing low carb (with more meat, eggs and vegetables, no pasta/rice/potatoes). I suppose it's a good thing that I feel full before bed but I don't feel slim the same way I have in the past.

Sorry for the rant..just wondering if anyone else has scale fear and/or are the type to get really down if it isn't working.

Replies

• meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel... and it is for that very reason that I refuse to step on the scale until I am good and ready. I even puchased an ARIA scale that syncs with my Fitbit and MFP and it is neatly tucked under the bed for now. I faced the dreaded scale in Mid June 2013 at the doctor's office and was dismayed to see just how much I really weighed... Took me until July 1 to do something about it.... since then, I have weighed one time -- November 21, 2013. That came about only because I took a tumble down a flight of stairs and ended up breaking the right wrist and my left elbow (talk about being as helpless as a baby!!!) I had surgery on the wrist and had no choice -- had to step foot on the scale. However, at that time, I told the nurse that I didn't want to know what I weighed. I did not want to be disappointed in thinking I lost more weight than I actually did. After my surgery, however, I decided that it was time to know.... imagine my surprise when I was down 52 lbs in just under 4 months!!!! I've not stepped on the scale since -- am working on losing another 35 lbs or so and will step on the scale when I am good and ready --- perhaps April 1.... who knows??? Needless to say, my clothes have done all the talking and I could not be happier. I've been down this path way too many times and letting the scale determine the mood for the day.......
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am also afraid of the scale- I get anxious before I step on (and I usually do so once per week).

HOWEVER! Let me give you some good news! I weigh the exact same as last week, but I am definitely smaller as far as inches and my clothes are concerned. AND I feel better!

So don't give the number on the scale too much power- if you are doing what you think you should and feeling good? That's what matters!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's so funny cause I just posted a status similar to this on my newsfeed. So basically, as I'm talking to you, I'm lecturing myself.

The scale is just a tool in the process. You have to use it to know that what you are doing is working. If you don't use it, then you can't really be sure. You can't make adjustments where necessary. You can't get demotivated by the scale. You have to use it as a guide to improvement.

Best of luck. I'm sure when you finally do get on the scale, you will be happy with what you see. Me, on the other hand, will most likely be recording a gain, but alas, it's the price we pay for indulgence. It's time to moderate myself once again.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Whether you know the number or not, your weight is still a truth you face in other ways, everyday. And it is just a number. You can be 145lbs and look like a model, or 130lbs and still have a flabby belly. Weight is just a number, it's not a definition. Lose weight to get healthy. Looking good will be a by-product of getting healthy.

I go by how my clothes, shoes, and rings are fitting. Even with just the small amount of weight I've lost, I've noticed a big change in my work pants (now very loose, compared to just a few months ago) and my wedding ring barely stays on my finger.
  • Sheamousemom
    Options
    I understand completely-I feel the same way. so stay off it. weigh in once a month or not at all and use body measurements and how you feel and how your clothes fit. I started not weighing myself at all until my clothes felt looser, I started feeling good about myself and knew that no matter what the scale said I could do this. No need to rush into things. Besides I can tell you from working in medicine that scales vary and not all measure the same (usu the variance is 1-2 lbs either way) and your weight can vary dramatically from day to day depending all all sorts of factors.
    Kudos to you for starting the scale is a tool and you do not have to use it until you feel comfortable with it and if it turns out that you are never comfortable that is OK>
  • Sheamousemom
    Options
    Your high protien diet will also contribute to feelings of fullness. Protein digests slower than carbs.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I don't enjoy the scale either but it is one of your most critical tools to help keep you honest AND to let you know what is and isn't working. There will come a point when you will enjoy getting on the scale. Just keep that in mind and embrace it. Its really gonna be ok. Stay in touch. You are not alone :-)
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's so funny cause I just posted a status similar to this on my newsfeed. So basically, as I'm talking to you, I'm lecturing myself.

The scale is just a tool in the process. You have to use it to know that what you are doing is working. If you don't use it, then you can't really be sure. You can't make adjustments where necessary. You can't get demotivated by the scale. You have to use it as a guide to improvement.

Best of luck. I'm sure when you finally do get on the scale, you will be happy with what you see. Me, on the other hand, will most likely be recording a gain, but alas, it's the price we pay for indulgence. It's time to moderate myself once again.

This. I weigh each and every day and I am RARELY surprised by what I see. It has helped me learn and correlate my activities and their effect on my weight. The scale is not the enemy: my behavior is. And when I weigh myself it is reinforcement. It is just one more tool in the arsenal.

Good luck and go for it. Weigh, weigh, weigh, away.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Well I bought a scale today. I could not resist stepping on it this evening. I KNOW I should weigh in the morning so that it might not be so low, but I weighed 1.7 lbs MORE than last time.

I am ridiculously upset right now. At the very least it should be slightly lower. I've done this stupid low carb thing, I've cut ALL alcohol even though I love wine and haven't had a taste of pasta or anything. I've recorded EVERYTHING and have never gone above 1300 a day.

I am so angry and have been crying for a half hour. i feel like a failure and as I don't have uni or work for January this is all I wanted to achieve. I don't want to have dinner now, just have water or tea before I go to bed but I don't know if that will work either...
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Stop. One day does not a diet make or a weigh in. You could have had a high sodium day yesterday, or it could be hormonal. You cannot let what happens in a single day determine your success or failure. This is a JOURNEY. And frankly, it can suck at times, but the alternative: giving up is worse.
    And if the low carb thing isn't working for you - stop it. There is no right or wrong way except for calories in and calories out. Low carb makes it easier for some of us, but it isn't for everyone.
    Think about what you ate, pat yourself on the back for taking care of yourself, and tomorrow is another day. Seriously. No tears, here. Pull up those big girl pants and carry on!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well I bought a scale today. I could not resist stepping on it this evening. I KNOW I should weigh in the morning so that it might not be so low, but I weighed 1.7 lbs MORE than last time.

I am ridiculously upset right now. At the very least it should be slightly lower. I've done this stupid low carb thing, I've cut ALL alcohol even though I love wine and haven't had a taste of pasta or anything. I've recorded EVERYTHING and have never gone above 1300 a day.

I am so angry and have been crying for a half hour. i feel like a failure and as I don't have uni or work for January this is all I wanted to achieve. I don't want to have dinner now, just have water or tea before I go to bed but I don't know if that will work either...

You got on the scale with food in your stomach. I have weighed as much as 2.5 lbs over my fasting weight.

Shake off all this BS insecurity, get a good night's rest, and get on the scale in the morning.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

You're seriously putting too much stock in the number on the scale. For one, it's a common and convenient way to measure progress, but it's far from the best way to measure progress (with progress meaning fat loss). However, weight fluctuates throughout the day and from day to day (especially when you weigh at night like you just did). I average about 5 lbs from the evenings until the next morning and I've seen as much as 10 lbs of fluctuation. You shouldn't read this much into any single data point.

Keep your focus on the long-term. Do you really think skipping dinner tonight, simply because your weight fluctuated upwards, is going to help you achieve long-term success in weight loss? That's akin to an eating disorder. I'm sure it's easy to say and hard to do, but you really should put those thoughts out of your mind.

If you don't see weight loss over several weeks, then you need to revisit your plan and make slight adjustments. But one single data point is relatively meaningless.
  • hmg90
    Options
    Stop. One day does not a diet make or a weigh in. You could have had a high sodium day yesterday, or it could be hormonal. You cannot let what happens in a single day determine your success or failure. This is a JOURNEY. And frankly, it can suck at times, but the alternative: giving up is worse.
    And if the low carb thing isn't working for you - stop it. There is no right or wrong way except for calories in and calories out. Low carb makes it easier for some of us, but it isn't for everyone.
    Think about what you ate, pat yourself on the back for taking care of yourself, and tomorrow is another day. Seriously. No tears, here. Pull up those big girl pants and carry on!

It could be PMS but my period is over two weeks late, so I have no idea.

I have had a lot of sodium lately - what is the best way to get rid of the water? I drink a lot of it, and tea, and I have caffeine in the morning.
  • hmg90
    Options

You're seriously putting too much stock in the number on the scale. For one, it's a common and convenient way to measure progress, but it's far from the best way to measure progress (with progress meaning fat loss). However, weight fluctuates throughout the day and from day to day (especially when you weigh at night like you just did). I average about 5 lbs from the evenings until the next morning and I've seen as much as 10 lbs of fluctuation. You shouldn't read this much into any single data point.

Keep your focus on the long-term. Do you really think skipping dinner tonight, simply because your weight fluctuated upwards, is going to help you achieve long-term success in weight loss? That's akin to an eating disorder. I'm sure it's easy to say and hard to do, but you really should put those thoughts out of your mind.

If you don't see weight loss over several weeks, then you need to revisit your plan and make slight adjustments. But one single data point is relatively meaningless.

The thing is, in the past I've always lost weight at 1300 calories. The only difference is that now I've been eating low carb and high fat so I haven't gone hungry to bed at 1300 cals. I'm worried the high fat have kept me from losing.
    I don't have a gym membership yet so I know it's not muscle gain..

Is there anything I can eat or not eat tonight to get some water out of my body?
  • hmg90
    Options
    How often do people in here get on the scale? Anyone only go once a month or so?
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Its just a number, do not put so much stress over it! Carefully measure and weigh your food, be strict about that! Eat well balanced diet and plan to reach your macro goal. Eventually it will show results(unless there is any other condition involved)
    Food intake, water weight, PMS everything can add to the number.

I weigh myself everyday, early morning after i pee, but i do not stress on the number so much.