Losing inches, but not weight

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    If you want more advise, you are going to want to start logging calories. If you continue to gain, it' s because you are eating more calories than your are burning. So while you might be seeing some moderate recomposition or you are not measuring exactly in the same spot, it' s possible your weight gain is either water weight increase from exercise or you truly are gaining new fat from eating too much.

Not trying to put you down, but if you want success in terms of weight loss, diet is by far more important than just exercise. With that said, I personally don't care about scale results but you do use it as a trend tool to allow you to understand how many calories you can eat a day.
    Not necessarily. A new maintenance level will occur followed by a deficit while maintaining the same caloric intake.

Sorry, but what are you implying. I am not trying to be rude, but I don't see which part my paragraph you are addressing.. Heck, maybe it's the drugs I am on for my sinus infection :laugh:

Are we talking a decrease in TDEE post weight loss or what?
    For some reason you said that the person could be adding water weight and fat, that would assume the person is eating over maintenance calories. I suspect that because she's losing inches that she's in a deficit. If she's in a deficit then some recomp is happening....which is adding new muscle fiber and it can be regional as well, not necessarily all over. To my point. If she's in a deficit and I see no reason why that isn't the case she will eventually hit a place where no weight loss occurs, that is maintenance.......and continuing to lift heavy can and will eventually create a deficit caused by increased metabolism and strength in exercise. Newbie gains should be taken advantage of.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want more advise, you are going to want to start logging calories. If you continue to gain, it' s because you are eating more calories than your are burning. So while you might be seeing some moderate recomposition or you are not measuring exactly in the same spot, it' s possible your weight gain is either water weight increase from exercise or you truly are gaining new fat from eating too much.

Not trying to put you down, but if you want success in terms of weight loss, diet is by far more important than just exercise. With that said, I personally don't care about scale results but you do use it as a trend tool to allow you to understand how many calories you can eat a day.
    Not necessarily. A new maintenance level will occur followed by a deficit while maintaining the same caloric intake.

Sorry, but what are you implying. I am not trying to be rude, but I don't see which part my paragraph you are addressing.. Heck, maybe it's the drugs I am on for my sinus infection :laugh:

For some reason you said that the person could be adding water weight and fat, that would assume the person is eating over maintenance calories. I suspect that because she's losing inches that she's in a deficit. If she's in a deficit then some recomp is happening....which is adding new muscle fiber and it can be regional as well, not necessarily all over. To my point. If she's in a deficit and I see no reason why that isn't the case she will eventually hit a place where no weight loss occurs, that is maintenance.......and continuing to lift heavy can and will eventually create a deficit caused by increased metabolism and strength in exercise. Newbie gains should be taken advantage of.

Since the OP is not logging calories, it's highly possible she is eating over her TDEE. It's also possible she is eating at her maintenance calories and doing recomp. I propose that it's possible her "inches lost" could fall into a category of wrong measurement. Lets face it, to measure the same exact spot consistently is not always feasible. So you have to leave some room for error. I guess we would need to clarify, how many inches have been lost? Looking the post, there is NO quantifiable amount of inches lost.

Realistically speaking, we need more than 3 weeks worth of data. But if she continues to gain weight, we know for a fact it is over consumption of calories and the inches lost were measuring inconsistency. I hope she just has water retention keep her weight up but it's hard to say without see any logged food.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Since the OP is not logging calories, it's highly possible she is eating over her TDEE. It's also possible she is eating at her maintenance calories and doing recomp. I propose that it's possible her "inches lost" could fall into a category of wrong measurement. Lets face it, to measure the same exact spot consistently is not always feasible. So you have to leave some room for error. I guess we would need to clarify, how many inches have been lost? Looking the post, there is NO quantifiable amount of inches lost.

Realistically speaking, we need more than 3 weeks worth of data. But if she continues to gain weight, we know for a fact it is over consumption of calories and the inches lost were measuring inconsistency. I hope she just has water retention keep her weight up but it's hard to say without see any logged food.
    How does someone lose inches and gain fat in excess of the EBE.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I will quote myself:
    Lets face it, to measure the same exact spot consistently is not always feasible. So you have to leave some room for error. I guess we would need to clarify, how many inches have been lost? Looking the post, there is NO quantifiable amount of inches lost.

ps- why don't we get more data from the OP before we start to deviate from the topic.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I will quote myself:
    Lets face it, to measure the same exact spot consistently is not always feasible. So you have to leave some room for error. I guess we would need to clarify, how many inches have been lost? Looking the post, there is NO quantifiable amount of inches lost.
    I hear you and that could be the case, but highly unlikely, speaking for myself mind you. I've always used the tape measure and mirror and never a scale. Normally when I was losing inches that's what was happening.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I will quote myself:
    I hear you and that could be the case, but highly unlikely, speaking for myself mind you. I've always used the tape measure and mirror and never a scale. Normally when I was losing inches that's what was happening.
    Considering how lean the OP already is, how many inches do you realistically thing one can lose over a span of 3 weeks? If you are lean, losing 1% body fat is extremely good. And considering the OP has gained 3 lbs since she has started, you still don't think there is room for incorrectly measuring?

since I don't want to hijack, i will wait for more information from the OP.
  • kimgriffinapparently
    Options
    Hello! Wow! So much information - my head is hurting!! Thanks though!

Okay, firstly that picture is my goal weight. That was me 2 years ago, I am around 21 pounds heavier than that now.

I will start logging my food diary. To be honest, I could be eating better and defo need to start drinking more water. Since reading the advice I have started drinking more water and watching what I'm eating more.

Today's food is a pretty standard day for me but should give you an indication of how I eat:

Breakfast - 3 rashers of bacon (lean mean grill machined!) with 1 cup of semi skimmed milk in tea.
    Lunch - 2 bags of low fat crisps, protein shake (low whey).
    Dinner - 1 nut cutlet, 1 chicken kiev, oven chips (approx 1 handful).

This hasn't been a set out diet for myself, it's just what I ate....I do have the odd drink which I need to stop but my personal trainer said that if I work out hard, I can eat what I want (within reason) and enjoy 1 or 2 glasses of wine a week.

Btw, I double checked. I haven't gained weight. I am just the same. It's what I get for breaking my 'only way in the morning' routine.

Off to see the personal trainer tomorrow. I just feel a but crap, because I'm always trying to lose weight but this year, I went 'bye cardio' and 'hello strength' . I feel great, but I have so long to go.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Consider picking up a food scale to ensure accuracy and work a calorie plan with either your training or we can help. With only 20 lbs, your goal should be around 1 lb per week. Protein and fat will help with satiety and protein/weight training help with muscle retention.
  • kimgriffinapparently
    Options
    Thanks, I'm defo a beginner in the world of strength training!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks, I'm defo a beginner in the world of strength training!
    Thats fine. I would find a good full body routine to start and go light enough to work on form. As form improves then increase weight to maintain reps to around 8 to 12. After you master the routine then switch routines or add different sets. Or if you want look into the new rules of lifting for women.... its supposed to be great and has a routine in it.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are eating too much. Yes you should lose weight eventually. Track your food. Btw 2 bags of chips does not qualify as lunch!!!
  • Aes37850
    Options
    That is great your losing inches..........!!!

Yes you could get smaller, change your body shape and lose inches... But could even weigh even more as you are building muscle now!!!

Sounds like your doing well - Keep it up : )

Get your body fat % done, or use a tape measure!

Definitely right here! I'm seeing my body fat% go down a bit with my scale and my weight go up and down a little. It's expensive, but getting a scale with body fat% recorded too is awesome! You see how much lean weight you have. Scary at first if you're really overweight, but it helps me put things into perspective!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

If the OP is losing inches, as stated, she is losing fat and is in a deficit. It is much more likely that either she is getting some newbie gains, retaining water to repair muscles and the like, or as someone stated, having water retained that will come out in a whoosh. If the inches are coming off, there is no reason to think that the OP is in a calorie surplus IMO.
  • kimgriffinapparently
    Options
    UPDATE

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say thank you for the advice. 7/8 weeks on since my first measurement, I can say that despite the scales only losing 1.5 lbs, I have lost almost 5/6 inches all over.

I'm pretty alright with that!