Ideas to change from bacon and eggs?

Options
Showmm
Showmm Posts: 406 Member
I'm not asking so much for myself as for my husband. He likes a protein-heavy, carb light breakfast in the morning. This usually means 2 slices of back bacon (aka Canadian bacon) and a fried egg. Occasionally a piece of toast with it.

My concern is, even though we buy quite high-quality, often organic bacon, I'm a bit concerned about him eating a preserved meat product every day. I also think that he really could do with some servings of fruit or veg, as I know the rest of the day can sometimes be a bit light on them.

Can anyone suggest some things he could perhaps try to change up this routine a little? I thought about a side serving of sautéed spinach or maybe some minute steaks, but I'm hoping the power of the MFP will have more suggestions than just this!

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    2 ingredient banana/egg pancakes?

tbh there's not really anything wrong with that quantity of bacon and eggs.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs is my idea of a perfect breakfast! :D However, I do like sautéed vegetables in my scrambled eggs or made into an omelet. Will he eat it that way? Or he could just eat a piece of fruit on the side or something.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fish? Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, kedgeree, smoked mackerel with tomatoes.

Make an omelette or frittata with more veg in it- add ham or prawns or chicken for the protein.

Greek yoghurt.

Cottage cheese.
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is egg whites omelet with spinach and baby bella mushrooms, low fat mozzarella cheese, 2 strips of low fat/low sodium turkey bacon. Half of multi-grain english muffin. Cup of coffee. Banana afterwards. Yummy, healthy and very filling. I don't like peppers or onions, but you can add those to the omelet as well.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm not asking so much for myself as for my husband. He likes a protein-heavy, carb light breakfast in the morning. This usually means 2 slices of back bacon (aka Canadian bacon) and a fried egg. Occasionally a piece of toast with it.

My concern is, even though we buy quite high-quality, often organic bacon, I'm a bit concerned about him eating a preserved meat product every day. I also think that he really could do with some servings of fruit or veg, as I know the rest of the day can sometimes be a bit light on them.

Can anyone suggest some things he could perhaps try to change up this routine a little? I thought about a side serving of sautéed spinach or maybe some minute steaks, but I'm hoping the power of the MFP will have more suggestions than just this!

Bacon, eggs with some veg in them, and some fruit on the side?
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Mmm we love fritattas! Also try different kinds of meat (ham steak, chicken, etc) in the mornings. Maybe he'd go for some breakfast burritos with veggies? I'm a big oatmeal person, but it's a little more difficult to put meat in that lol.
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I tried to make these but they always stick to the pan , but are soo delicious
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I make 2 eggs, turkey bacon , spinach, onions almonds and avocado all in the frying pan , soo good
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Steak or breakfast chops.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    What about making your own breakfast sausage? Its just a matter of mixing in seasonings to ground meat. You could form the patties and cook them on the weekend and then freeze them. Since they will be pre cooked, you could easily heat up a couple fast. if you are trying to reduce fat, you could mix in turkey breast.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

only problem with it is there is just one egg and only two pieces of bacon.

whats up with that!

moar eggs! MOAR BACON
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the omellete. Other similar forms could be an egg bake with cheese, other meats, and lots of chopped veggies like bell peppers, spinach, or mushrooms; or a scramble of eggs and other ingredients.

Try variations of egg florentine such as replacing the english muffin with a thick slice of tomato or using an alfredo sauce or yoghurt based sauce instead hollandaise sauce. I prefer fresh spinach lightly steamed over the typical frozen spinach recipes use. Eggs florentine on a tomato slice looks fancy too.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    How about egg whites and low sodium turkey bacon. My family loves the bacon, very meaty and not greasy at all.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Never try to take bacon away from a man.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone!