Polar ft4 heart rate monitor users...

Options
I got my polar ft4 and LOVE it. I know there are a lot of topics about this, but I read through and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

So, I have it all set up. Does it only record info in training mode? I bought it at the gym and the woman said (while wearing the same model) that she uses it to track all day burn, which is what I am interested in. Do I have to have it on training to do that? That's what I am doing right now so that I can see the calories.

Any help? Am I missing something obvious?

Replies

• ittybittykittyy
    ittybittykittyy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to this too! :) I recently bought an FT4 as well!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    HRMs are only accurate for steady state cardio (as that's what the algorithm is designed for). So even though she thinks she's tracking all day activity the calorie count will not be accurate. If you want to track all day activity you need something like a fitbit or body media

Oh if you see her and mention it and she doesn't believe you tell her to look at the Polar website
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I don't use it for that, and don't think it was made for that. A fitbit would probably be better. Polar HRM tracks cardio ONLY. I believe. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.
  • cadillacblues87
    Options
    Thank you, fatdoob. I looked into those but based on what I read, fitbit is not accurate because it DOESN'T incorporate a hrm.

I'm so confused! lol
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    HRMs are only accurate for steady state cardio (as that's what the algorithm is designed for). So even though she thinks she's tracking all day activity the calorie count will not be accurate. If you want to track all day activity you need something like a fitbit or body media

This^^
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I own the FT4 and it is not accurate once your heart rate drops into the 90's. It is meant for training use only not for all day use.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thank you, fatdoob. I looked into those but based on what I read, fitbit is not accurate because it DOESN'T incorporate a hrm.

I'm so confused! lol

Both things you heard are true. HRMs are best for steady state cardio - we're talking about walking, running, biking, etc, even circuit training but not strength training and not all day use. Fitbits and the like are for tracking general activity (not necessarily including workouts) and sleep.
  • cadillacblues87
    Options

I'm so confused! lol

Both things you heard are true. HRMs are best for steady state cardio - we're talking about walking, running, biking, etc, even circuit training but not strength training and not all day use. Fitbits and the like are for tracking general activity (not necessarily including workouts) and sleep.

Okay, this makes sense. So do people tend to use both? Sorry, I am new at all this.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    The FT4 was not designed for that.. in fact not many of their HRM are unless we are talking about the new PolarLoop (I think thats what its called)

The model you have is not a favourite of mine for even tracking steady state cardio but if you must stick with that model, only use it for its purpose: tracking calories from steady state cardio.

If you can afford to and depending on what you are really looking for - upgrade to the FT40 or any models that aren't the FT4 and FT7. If you really want to see your all day burn, get a FitBit. Personally I don't think people need to know that much but that's just me. I've lost weight and improved health significantly without something telling me my daily burn
  • cadillacblues87
    Options
    Thanks. I am also still losing, but I am very interested in it. Is there a reason why you don't like the ft4?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    The FT4 only has two menu options and the settings are pretty much just for putting height sex weight and nothing else. FT40 offers more IMO e.g. Fitness Test, more menu options, etc. I couldn't find the FT40 in Jan so I bought the FT4 and was really disappointed. I looked really hard for the FT40 watch, found it and returned the FT4. Very happy to have be my old watch again. :)
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use the FT4 for P90X and for jogging, it gives me everything I want, except for distance. But, I've measured out my course, so, I know what the distance is ahead of time. I also have the Wearlink+/Bluetooth that I use with RunKeeper on my smartphone which does give me distance, course on a map, etc, Comes in handy if I'm jogging a new course, or for hiking.