Type 2 Diabetes

Options
Hi, has anyone else got type 2 diabetes? I am finding that logging all food on here helps me control my blood sugar as I am choosing foods with less sugar/carbs. What works for you? :laugh:

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hello pippapopper!

It's wonderful you've found by using this program to log and track your food choices to be helpful in managing your diabetes.

By using these tools offered to pre-plan my carb choices at mealtimes, along with applying them honestly as intended and sticking to a plan that works for me like glue, I've not only met and exceeded my weight loss goals since signing up, I've also gained tighter blood sugar control.

As an insulin dependent T2 diabetic since 1982, this program has been, and will continue to be paramount to my continued success.

If your interested, there's a very informative and knowledgeable myfitnesspal Type 2 Diabetes Support Group, eager to share their support, encouragement and experiences on what works for them and what doesn't work.

:drinker:
  • pippapopper
    pippapopper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi that's great, I am new to this, where can I find the support group?
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Welcome. :)

T2 here, and luckily completely under control with diet and exercise, though it took a long time to get here. At diagnosis I was 343 pounds at 5'3" and had an A1C of 10.1. That was pretty much make-or-break time for me - it was either get it together, or die. (Yes, my doctor actually was this blunt. Thankfully.) I was first placed on Levemir, Metformin and they were talking about Victoza down the line, but I was DETERMINED not to inject myself for the rest of my life. That was seriously what made me stop EVERYTHING I was doing and revamp my entire dietary habits. Every time I had to stick that needle in my belly, I cried. (Although, oddly, by the last injection, it no longer bothered me - go figure.)

Nearly a year and a half later, my A1C is 5.5, and I've lost 111 pounds, with 89 more to go (for now!). I've dumped all the medication (I was taken off Metformin last month, yay!!!) and I'm under tight control. Very happy with my progress!!

I find that tracking my carbs is easy with MFP, though I do think that it's a little on the low side in general - but maybe that's a good thing! I mainly try to choose meat, cheese and lots of veggies for snacks.

Thanks for the heads-up about the diabetes support group here, as well.
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have Type 2 Diabetes, and this program has really helped me to control my carb and sugar intake, and in turn, lower my blood sugars as well as lose weight.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed type 2 in December and was given 2 months to give diet and exercise a chance when I went back this Monday my doctor said I am now considered pre diabetic based on the numbers
    I'm going to keep at it and see if I can get my numbers into the non diabetic state
    In the process of watching my sugars and salt intake I got my blood pressure under control and lost 35lbs
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the group. You can copy and paste it , in to your web browzer.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group.

Or

Go to community>Groups>to find the "Type 2 Diabetes Support Group"
  • lexcoulstring
    lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Type 2 here. I been off meds for over 8 months and with an average reading of 5.4 mmol/l = 97.2 mg/dl
    My food diary is open which outlines the exact foods I eat to maintain those levels.

Good Luck!!! :)
  • jabec105
    jabec105 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Type 2 here also. 2 Years ago I found out and lost weight and had it under control, enough to stop all meds. 9 months in I quit MFP and lost control again. January A1C over 11 has me on Insulin and Meds. Now I'm back at it with much more determination not to let it happen again. Good luck to everyone here fighting this!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi, has anyone else got type 2 diabetes? I am finding that logging all food on here helps me control my blood sugar as I am choosing foods with less sugar/carbs. What works for you? :laugh:

I spent a year getting mine under control with a LCHF Paleo diet. My Jan A1C was 5.5% and as far as my doctor is concerned I'm "cured"..

Now I'm more concerned with my caloric intake, so there is not room for me to eat a lot of steak and bacon as I did the last year.

Never had any medication.
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fellow Type 2 here too! I have managed to bring down my sugars by just diet and exercise. Anyone can add me. I would like to get examples of what you guys are eating and how you are handling this. I have been doing well but more support is always great!
  • GinNJuice75
    GinNJuice75 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetes here as well. I was on 3 pills at one point but lost weight and i am now diet controlled. I follow the low carb high fat diet. Feel free to add me as a friend and you can view my diary. The diet may not be right for you but i believe the first step in controlling your diabetes is cutting back on carbs/sugar!
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Type 2 - currently taking Januvia and on Lantus Solostar. The good news is that so far I've been able to reduce my Lantus injections from 48-50 units down to 35 currently.