Weighted hula hooping

Options
I bought a weighted hula hoop and have been using it for a couple weeks now. I am wondering if anyone else here uses one? I am wanting to know how many minutes you do and how many days of the week. I was going to try and do at least 5 days but wonder if I should try to do 7. I know it said not to go over 10 mins at a time or you could get bruised. I haven't had that happen to me but I try to only do about 8 mins. Has anyone seen inches lost with this?

Replies

• 1fitnessplanner
    1fitnessplanner Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hiya :) just bought a weighted wave hoop first day i did 20minutes- bruised to hell next 4 days i did 3 minutes then had 2 days off to heal now doing 10-15 minutes depending how cooperative my body feels going clockwise lol once your body is used to the beating from the hoop you can do up to an hour at a time but you have to gradually get into it and it really depends how you feel as a 10 minute a day exercise it's a good one gives a good workout so 7 days would be fine but if it's your primary workout i'd aim to get to do more than 10 minutes a day but only 5 days
  • icha3x
    icha3x Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i also have one. had it over a year and afraid i have not been consistent with it. am trying to figure out how many calories are burned with 15 min. watch doesn't register the small movements and my heart rate only went up 20pts. think it is best in improving core strength.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Look for videos to start doing more things. Even if this is a heavy hoop, with the knobs around the waist, like you get from sporting shops, you can start learning to do things like moving your arms around and spinning in circles as you hoop.

I only have enough room in the house to body hoop, so I don't get fancy, and I don't use my weighted hoop very often, because of my back, but today I was marching and waving my arms around like a maniac.

You can also learn to do a lot of warm ups and stretches with the hoop. For example, just holding the hoop sides of the hoop at waist height, then lifting it above your head makes a pretty good warm up activity.
  • laurarich2014
    laurarich2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replys. I just saw a success story somewhere about a lady that does hulahooping for 30 mins each day? I don't think I could do 30 mins but I think I will try and do at least 15 mins while watching TV for about 5 days a week and see what happens. I really just want it to help with my core and eventually tummy area.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy one of those? It sounds like fun if you don't over do it the first few times.
  • laurarich2014
    laurarich2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at Amazon and it was pretty cheap. It comes in pieces in a box and you just click it together. I have the 4lb one but there are different weights. Read the reviews to decide which is better for you. I have not had any bruising or anything with mine. I love using it. You have to really concentrate on your core to keep it up.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I really prefer lighter ones: they don't cause bruising and if you get into it you can start learning to hoop dance. I would have given myself a concussion by now with a heavier one. Plus, my mother bought a heavier one: it was nearly impossible to take apart for travel, whereas the lighter hoops that come apart are real easy.

In addition to Amazon, hoopnotica has real nice hoops and if you are the "buy local" type, MFP member peace_frog21 makes and sells hoops.
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy one of those? It sounds like fun if you don't over do it the first few times.

I recently found a Danskin one at TJ Maxx for only $20. If there's one near you, it might be worth checking. It's 2 or 3 pounds, and clicks together. I haven't been able to use it yet (broken foot), but it looks a lot like the Hoopnotica ones.