Taking Before Pics?

Options
So- I have a question.... Who thinks it is a good idea to take 'before' photos of yourself? I've just gotten started, and I can't decide. In some ways, I think it would be motivating to take pics once a wekk so that I could see results as they happen. However, another part of me thinks that I might feel worse by taking unflattering pics now when this is just a temporary place in my life. I'd love to hear opinions/ advice.

Replies

• amstein18
    Options
    i would definitely recommend it. i wouldn't take them as often as once a week though... you might get discouraged not seeing a big difference every week. personally, i take mine once a month. even if you take 1 before picture & never look at it again until you reach your goal weight & take a pic then to put them side by side, it's AMAZING to see the physical changes in places you didn't even notice in the mirror as it was happening.
  • msstonediva
    msstonediva Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hi, welcome.

i think taking before pics are great... however once a week maybe too much. try once a month to track your progress. good luck.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of unflattering BEFORE photos (which I'll post up here soon). I think its great because you look back at them feeling disgusted and it pushes you in the right direction because you never want to be that way again!! You only have weight to lose from there :)

I would take them once a month or once every two months. You want to see something gradual, but not too gradual that you don't even notice!
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    Do it! You will want to see how far you have come later, and how far you don't want to go back! :happy:
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you don't take before pics (even though it's mortifying) you'll regret it later. Seriously. So put on a bathing suit and go for it. You don't have to post them if you don't want to, but DO take them! Take your measurements too!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    take them even if you never look at them....you will always have the "where you were" to keep you in line in the future if need be....
  • grlaurie
    grlaurie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I did not take any before pics and had a hard time seeing the progress I have made. I sure wish now that I had something to compare to.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm taking them after every stone ( 14lb ) I lose.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I really wish I'd taken before pics to compare and see the changes. But theres hadrly any pics of me before because I used to hide from the camera.
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm afraid of! I never let anyone take my pics anymore, and I kind of want to so that I will be able to see my results!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    They are definitely a good motivator especially when you feel you stalled on the scale the photo reveals a more toned body so you realized you are losing fat but gaining muscle.

If you find it distracting how "gross" you look in your before pic, just cut your head off. IT will allow you to focus on your goal and not the bad face you were making, the bad hair day or the lack of make-up.

Take them once a month b/c the hope is that you loose at least 4 lbs a month which can be noticeable, at least to yourself.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm afraid of! I never let anyone take my pics anymore, and I kind of want to so that I will be able to see my results!

Do it! Turn the flash off and take them in the bathroom in the mirror. No one has to see them but you. Make sure you take the photo in the same place everymonth. Using the self timer I find is not as accurate b/c how far away from the camera I was standing is not as easy to remember.
  • fitchick75
    fitchick75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it. I took front, back, and side. The scale is just a number, but when you can actually see a side by side comparison, you will see a huge change. :)
  • mjmartin
    Options
    Def take photos. Like everyone has said you don't have to post them to the public but for you it's a great motivator to get going and keep you going when you can compare 2 photos side by side with results. I'm new too. I was mortified at the thought of taking a before photo of myself in a bathing suit, but I did it. I don't have results to show yet, but can't wait til I do!
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Do it! Trust me! There were so many times I looked in the mirror and didn't see a change even though i lost inches and weight..When i looked at pictures in when I saw a HUGE difference.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've never taken any pictures purposely as "before" or "during" (or "after") pics... regular pics work for me. I'm sure you have some pictures of you from before you started losing weight; and you will take pictures during too I'm sure, at social events and whatnot. Most before/after pics I've seen have been regular old pics, not specifically taken for that purpose.