Freaking out about gaining weight while taking Seroquel

Options
I've recently been started on Seroquel XR 100mg at night for anxiety and panic issues and I know from previous experience years ago that this type of drug can contribute to weight gain due to the "munchies" that inevitably occur. If anyone has any tips/ tricks/ or just some general advice on how to avoid the weight gain/ ignore the munchies would be greatly appreciated. Freaking out!

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, Seroquel has many side effects. Just a bandaid for the underlying issue. get to a shrink. Get off that crap.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Seroquel is great for anxiety, you'll just never be awake to experience it.
  • sperlifts
    Options
  • eirish
    Options
    The responses to your posts are very unsupportive, I'm sorry that you have to hear people telling you not to take your prescription. Seroquel can have these side effects, but listen: you have choices you can control. You can commit to self-care and logging your food choices, you can get your vitamin D every day with 30 minutes of fresh air and talk to your doctor if you notice significant weight gain. Keep in mind, not everyone has the same drug side effects. Good luck, you're not alone. I take a weight gain drug as well and after the initial gain, things levelled off and i am working to reduce.
  • dawnee68
    dawnee68 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I take 300mg Seroquel a day amongst other things. The weight gain is brutal but losing it can be done, although it is slow and frustrating. I now take Metformin to stop the munchies and it has really helped with cravings etc.

Good luck!
  • emmullins55
    Options
    Hello Friend:

I don't know if you are posting from the US, or another country. I think it is not fair of these OP to tell you to "get off that stuff," if they do not know your full history. I have suffered from both panic and anxiety, and these feelings are extremely devastating. Of course with all the possible side effects that medications can have, it would be ideal to not need to take any, but neuro pharmacology is not something that one should take themselves off and on. As far as the side effect of increased appetite, behavior may also play a part because if you are calmer and relaxed, so you may eat more, or enjoy eating more. Since you seem very aware of the potential to overeat from this medication, choose healthier food to "get the munchies,: with. You can enjoy the taste of any food if you allow yourself to.
  • emmullins55
    Options
    Eirish.............You are so right!
  • prissymissliss
    prissymissliss Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been prescribed Seroquel at night also. I've been able to prevent weight gain by setting a time to stop eating since the cravings are a monster at night in the hours after taking the meds. I don't eat anything after 9pm since I know that anything after that is just the effects of the medication and I'm not really hungry. It's extremely tough sometimes but you can fight it by training your mind to stick to a food schedule. I hope this helps and wish you the best. I know how difficult it can be to reach out for help while dealing with the stigma that taking meds for mental health often come with.
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I take Seroquel, too. I do have the hunger issue, but so far, I haven't experienced any weight gain (I started taking it after I'd already joined MFP). I track very religiously which helps. One thing I did that helped was raise my calorie allowance to somewhere around 1lb loss a week, and I gave myself permission to eat up to that point. My loss has slowed down, sure, but I AM still losing. And I no longer feel like gnawing off my own arm, so that's good. ;)

I get the tiredness issue that many do, too. I have to take it before bed and plan on sleeping for the next 8.5-9 hrs. (I learned pretty quickly that even if I didn't plan on it, I was sleeping that long whether I liked it or not. :laugh: ) I had some drowsiness during the day as well, but I've been taking it two hours before bedtime, and that seems to help. I usually try to keep busy like taking a walk or something during that time, and also plan a low calorie snack, because that's when the munchies get really bad.

Also, don't listen to the people saying to "get off your meds" and "just go to a shrink," please. They don't know your situation and are giving incredibly irresponsible advice. ;;;
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hello dear friend!
    Many things were already told, for example that you should not listen to people who say irresponsible stuff like "Get off your meds". You get them for a REASON and you should always discuss with your doctor, whether they are necessary or not (and in your situation, without knowing you, I'm suspecting you DO need them)

I have not taken Seroquel myself, but in the psychiatry where I worked, many patients had to take it in. And yes, weight gain is possible. It's not possible to control it 100%.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1198789-how-to-stay-motivated-while-being-depressed-after-a-relapse

I posted some advice here, which may be helpful in general. Please keep in mind, that meds can slow your metabolism down, so even if you are eating healthy and enough, it's possible that you are not getting the results you want to see.
    I know that can be frustrating, but it is something you have no control over. All you can do is trying to keep the things in mind I mention in that thread (drinking enough, eating regularly, not skipping breakfast, being active (if you are too tired for a workout, that's a common problem, still try to go out for a walk or something. Activity helps a lot, not only with weight loss but it makes you happier ;) )

I'm wishing you so much luck! try not to freak out too much about it. Your health is the most important thing and it's more important than a possible weight gain, really. Just try to take care of yourself and treat yourself nice :)
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I took Seroquel for anxiety, and all it did was make sleepy and lethargic with anxiety. It's a good sleeping pill though.

It's a non-narcotic solution to anxiety, yet I don't know how effective it is in treating anxiety and panic disorders - for me it didn't help any. I'd take Klonopin any day over Seroquel, but good luck trying to procure that!
  • sportygirl_1972
    Options
    @nenchall, working in psychiatry should make you aware that gaining weight is not just something to ignore. For many people, it is much more. I have gained weight on Seroquel. I have tried dieting, exercising, but I feel so sleepy, it is difficult. The weight gain has caused me to be depressed. My colleague has experienced the same thing. He has gained weight as well and feels the same way. I know that sleeping is essential, but I would not recommend this drug for anyone who is self-conscious about their weight. I have spent the last few years avoiding social situations because of my weight. I stayed on the Seroquel because I was sleeping and functioning at work, but it's just not worth the self-loathing I feel looking in the mirror, even after a solid night's sleep.
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    Maybe try giving yourself permission to eat a little more provided you are eating nutrient rich foods and not a bunch of processed crap? And drink lots of water. Lots of water.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Although weight gain is a common side effect, it isn't a given. I take 400-500mg and it hasn't caused me to gain weight. It caused horrendous acne, but not weight gain.

I don't know what it's like in your country, but the 'get thee to a shrink' are comments no use, I already see one. Only a psychiatrist would start you on this type of medication in my country.

You may feel like excersing less for a while until the dose is right for you, it makes me absolutely exhausted when the dose is too high.

If it does give you the muchies, my Dr recommended plain popcorn or sugar free sweets.