Long plateau - 2.5 months and counting ...

Options
My plan was to get down to 190 (which at 5'7" is still somewhat heavy), then not really worry too much about weight and focus more on body composition and "feel" of clothes more than the pounds. However, I hit a plateau about two and a half months ago at around 213 where I haven't lost any weight but I'm definitely firming up in areas and my clothes are fitting much better.

Not sure if it matters or not, but the beginning of the plateau was the beginning of a few changes. MFP dropped the calories per day on me by about 80 cals (down to 1560 per day), and I was suddenly very hungry every day. I also started working out more - instead of 3 days a week of 30 min cardio sessions, I started working out 6 days week, alternating days with 30 mins cardio and 30-40 mins weight training, plus an hour of some intense Karate once a week. I also started taking post-workout protein shakes. I've since upped my calorie intake (to 1770), thinking that I was doing too much for the calories. At first this seemed to work, dropped 2 lbs in a week, but it was back again the next week. I've always ate all my exercise calories as well, nothing has changed on that front.

My friends are saying not to worry about it and just keep going as I'm going, but I'm not so sure. It seems like I'm still to heavy for that, I still have some very large chunks of fat that I want to get rid of. Seems a bit weird to be asking advice from complete strangers rather than taking the advice of friends, but I think that maybe they're just comparing me to how I was about 50 lbs heavier rather than how I really am now - anything is an improvement! So, am I just worrying over nothing, or should I change things up a bit again to lose some more weight to get back on to my original plan?

Replies

• Britters1283
    Options
    I have the same problem but as long as you are toning up and feeling better that's all that matters. As you build muscle it's hard to keep dropping pounds. Try taking your measurements. I know when I get frustrated because I haven't lost pounds I feel a lot better when I realize I've lost inches. Just stay positive and don't give up!! :)
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think its normal, that as you do more weights and body toning you will gain muscle which weighs more than fat.

Do you have a nutritionist? they can be helpful in that they weight you on a scale that tells you how much of your weight is muscle and how much is fat. That way you can see your progress, rather than get discouraged from not seeing any weight loss.

Also you should try eating large salads or lots of vegeatbles to fill you up. That way you can eat more for less calories.

I'm also not too sure about the protein shakes. I would imagine that will help build muscles (again that weighs more than fat)

I am definitely not an expert, so take what you want from my advice :) good luck!!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Try changing up and not eating all of your exercise calories. Try to leave 400 to 600 and let us know how it works in a couple weeks.
  • Mommamoose
    Mommamoose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, people plateau due to not taking in enough calories. Honestly, I am taking in about 2000 calories at least, because if you starve your body while working out, it will store what you eat. So it makes it way harder to loose it. When your working out, try to up cardio to about 45 minutes with 5 minutes cool down. I am doing p90x and it works great. Studies also show, if you stay with the same routine, your more likely to plateau as well. Switch it up after the first month. Then continue to switch it up after two weeks. In your diet you want a 50, 30, 20. And by that I mean, 50% of total cals protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat. This will help rebuild that lean muscle. More fish, chicken, turkey, beans. Lean meats are let fattening. Make on day meatless. Feel free to message for questions. My sources are P90x nutrition guide and completion of college nutrition class
    Best of luck
  • bigchick
    Options
    hello! you're doing great so far.congrats! I think it is good to switch up what you do at the gym, I have read that when you do the same workouts all the time, your body gets more efficient at doing those exercises and therefore, your body does not work as hard which equals less calories burned. Also switching up what foods you eat is good as well!

You must also remember that muscles weighs like 3X more than fat, so if your clothes are continuing to fit better and better, you may stay the same on scale but your body composition is changing still.. I don;t know much about protein shakes but they can often be packed with hidden calories, so unless a professional is telling you that you should drink them, then maybe you should not? but as I said, I do not know too much about them.. my friend got one after the gym and it was approx 350 calories.. and unless that is going to be all your "snacks" for one day, then that is a lot of calories in such a small amount.

Hope that helps some :)
  • freedivr
    Options
    Well, under the heading of, "since you asked..."

I've found the daily calorie recommendations from MFP accurate and effective. They seem most effective when accompanied by extended periods of aerobic exercise. I'd consider going back to whatever MFP recommends for daily calorie intake, and eat only half of your exercise calories. I'd also try to exercise aerobically for at least an hour, five days per week, at a level that puts your heart rate close to the top of your training zone. Combine that with three sets of pushups and leg raises a day for some toning. That's a pretty large weekly time commitment, but you're worth it! I've found that a decent heart rate monitor is an invaluable tool in the quest to not only drop pounds, but drop those large chunks of fat you were talking about.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and I think you have a good eating and exercising plan. You are not eating junk, you are eating enough and you have a varied exercise plan that includes strength training. What works for me in this situation is to vary my eating so that for a few days I go 'under' my MFP recommended allotment then go back up to eating at a higher rate (but still a deficit of course) and all my exercise calories. Every time I have tried this I have lost about 2 pounds and didn't regain it. Good Luck! Keep trying different things until you find something that works.
  • cl2k4
    cl2k4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! this is something I have battled for about five years. I realized the problem is I let myself stop when I get to a 'comfortable' weight instead of keeping on with the weight loss and pushing through the plateau.

Here's something I've realized in this process: when going from obese to healthy, your body has to adjust. your body cannot remain in a constant state of transformation, it needs time to recuperate. Considering the large amount of weight you're interested in losing, the slower you go the more likely you are to keep it off. Now that you've let your body have a little equilibrium time though, if you want to push past it here's my advice:

protein shakes after workout: this is a great way to build muscle, but a terrible way to lose weight. The more protein in your diet, the easier it is for your body to convert your existing fat to muscle, but that makes it impossible to burn that energy (and pounds) off of you. I'd suggest it only once you find a weight you're interested in maintaining. For now, during or after your workout try using an energy drink like the low calorie version of gatorade.

Unfortunately to loose a good deal of weight you have to shed muscle as well. In the course of any weight loss regimen, you lose fat, water, muscle, even bone. everything. For example my goal weight currently is lower than my non-fat body content weight at the present. But, when you eat without balance, it affects the type of weight you lose. Too little water would cause you to lose all your water weight but no fat, and you'd regain weight near-instantly when you stop the diet. or Too little protein and you're not going to have enough energy and you may end up overindulging on intstant-high-energy, eventual crash inducing foods like sugars and carbs and be unable to maximize your workouts (my biggest problem as a vegetarian!). Too much protein and you'll loose fat, absolutely, but the cost is that your body will instantaneously transform that lost fat into muscle, which is denser (you'll weigh the same or more but will see some difference in your clothes).

So, balance and patience is the secret!

Also, a vacation from exercising for a week or two can allow your body to find further equilibrium. you may find that you gain a few pounds, but again, sometimes you have to take a step back to go forward. A great amount of weight loss is a major life transformation, and much like a religious conversion, the quicker it's done the less likely it is to stick.
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! With everyone's help and some additional reading I did, I think I've figured out what to do to hopefully kick-start things:

1) Drop the protein shakes for now, but probably pick them up again once I hit goal.
    2) Continue doing the strength training as-is - I lost a LOT of strength losing the last 50 lbs, I don't want that to continue. If I can just maintain current strength for now I'll be happy.
    3) Amp up the intensity of my cardio sessions. I'll increase time when I can, but right now I'm pretty much maxing available time on weekdays (I have a 1 hr commute each way to work, and typically have work to do when I get home as well - doesn't exactly leave much time for family or other activities).
    4) Don't be quite as religious about eating exercise calories, OK to ignore them or only do half sometimes, 2-3 times a week perhaps.
    5) Switch up foods a bit, try to eat more raw veggies.
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the good results, keep up the good work. I noticed a couple of things when I was looking at your diary, there seems to be a lot of processed foods, these are high in sodium and sodium makes our bodies retain water, I would suggest watching the sodium intake. Also try more fruit and vegie as snacks. Try drinking more water, I know everyone and their dog says 8 glasses is the magic number but I like the calculation method as we are all a bit different, this method would have your drink 98 ounces of water or 12 glasses, this method takes your weight and divides it in half and equals the total ounces you should consume; keep the bathroom close.

Also try to make sure that you are getting to that 30 minute mark with the exercise and try more weights than cardio. Cardio is great for the heart and lungs doesn't do much for moving the scale.

Just remember don't get discouraged, it was a long journey to get to the size we started at and it is a long journey to lose it too.

:flowerforyou:
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I had hit a 5 week long plateau when I enlisted the advice of my brother (who had lost about 120 pounds and kept it off for 2 years). He suggested the following:

I've noticed, with me anyways, if I stay too strict for too
    long my body simply adapts to the reduced calories and I slow or stop
    losing. I find that once every week or two I have to eat significantly
    more calories for a day, and then get right back on it the next day
    and my body will reset itself.

So if I were you first I'd try "cheating" for a day to help you
    recalibrate. Your weight will pop up for a day or two while that food
    works its way through your system, and you don't have to go crazy,
    just get 2500+ calories that day if you've been getting 1200-1500
    lately. If a few days after that it just levels right back off to
    where you were before, I'd start working out twice a day on as many
    days as you can. The body is definitely very strange when it comes to
    losing weight, and it's actually different for girls than it is for
    guys.

Another thing you might try is cycling your calorie intake. Like, eat
    slightly more calories for a day or two, then eat slightly fewer for a
    few days and repeating that. All that is in an effort to keep your
    body from simply adjusting to whatever it is your taking in daily.

I started cycling my calories and I've now lost about 7 pounds in the past 5 weeks. So, it works. You can google "zig zagging calories" and find more people who write about it. It was the only thing I changed and i started losing again. I wasn't exercising at all because I had hurt my back. I thought I would be stuck until I started exercising again, but it wasn't so.
  • angelo74
    angelo74 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I was feeling so depressed because I didn't know what else to do about my weight.