My NSV belongs to someone else

Options
kickivale
kickivale Posts: 260 Member
Just wanted to share this…

My 58 year old mom has been my best friend, my soul mate, my favorite person for my whole life. She's the prototype!
I talk to her everyday, and today I shared with her how great I feel now that I'm paying attention to lowering carbs, getting more protein, being committed to my running…she was quiet for a minute then said "I'm gonna come to your apartment this weekend, will you cook for me how you eat? Can we go to your gym together? Can you write a list of stuff I should keep in my house to get more protein? I eat too much stuff that's doing no good for me at this age. I want to get off my hypertension meds. It's time"
My mom was always a RAIL while I was a kid, I mean like 120 lbs, 5'9. A few years back she was diagnosed with a very serious autoimmune issue just as she was going thru menopause and her whole body just started to suffer. Pain. New medications. Fatigue. Everything. She's now maybe a size 14 which is average of course, but just doesn't fit into how 'capable' she always was before.
Somehow just talking about how my health is changing for the better made her ready to step up too.
I'm so happy I could cry.
Feeling blessed as hell.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things about MFP is seeing how my good choices help others be healthier. However, helping your mom like that...that is amazing.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wow what a great story! brought tears to my eyes! Let us know part 2 and how your mom is doing after a month or so!:smile:
  • bradXdale
    Options
    That's amazing!
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    That is aweome. I LOVE this NSV on so many levels. <3
  • AreUjoking2
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, and I hope your mom starts to feel better real soon.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share this…

My 58 year old mom has been my best friend, my soul mate, my favorite person for my whole life. She's the prototype!
    I talk to her everyday, and today I shared with her how great I feel now that I'm paying attention to lowering carbs, getting more protein, being committed to my running…she was quiet for a minute then said "I'm gonna come to your apartment this weekend, will you cook for me how you eat? Can we go to your gym together? Can you write a list of stuff I should keep in my house to get more protein? I eat too much stuff that's doing no good for me at this age. I want to get off my hypertension meds. It's time"
    My mom was always a RAIL while I was a kid, I mean like 120 lbs, 5'9. A few years back she was diagnosed with a very serious autoimmune issue just as she was going thru menopause and her whole body just started to suffer. Pain. New medications. Fatigue. Everything. She's now maybe a size 14 which is average of course, but just doesn't fit into how 'capable' she always was before.
    Somehow just talking about how my health is changing for the better made her ready to step up too.
    I'm so happy I could cry.
    Feeling blessed as hell.

Yay! Now it's your turn to be here for her. This should be really fun and rewarding for you and her. Enjoy!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Good for you AND your mom. It's nice to hear about such a good familial support system. too often here I read threads with people talking about how everyone in their life is trying to sabotage their efforts. Keep doing what you're doing; being an awesome daughter and role model for your mom!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    That's a great NSV! Thank you for sharing.

I hope things go well. Good luck to you both!
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    So very happy for you and that your healthy changes inspired your Mom. Blessings to you and your Mom.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    That is awesome and heartfelt and I’m so glad you shared it with us! Take every opportunity to be there for your mom. Cook your heart out and dazzle her! I am so happy for you both!
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! So happy for your mother AND you!

Would it be too personal for me to ask what autoimmune disease your mother suffers from? I only ask because my mother was recently diagnosed with lupus and I know it is devastating :( She also has epilepsy. It has been really hard, but she is a trooper. Bravest, most capable woman I know... and I hate to see when she is struggling :(

Kudos to your mom :)
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What an amazing NSV. Many of us wish we would get that phone call - including me. You have many wonderful years together.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! So happy for your mother AND you!

Would it be too personal for me to ask what autoimmune disease your mother suffers from? I only ask because my mother was recently diagnosed with lupus and I know it is devastating :( She also has epilepsy. It has been really hard, but she is a trooper. Bravest, most capable woman I know... and I hate to see when she is struggling :(

Kudos to your mom :)

No, not too personal at all! She has scleroderma, a form of fibrosis with no real treatment, and no cure. Pain in the butt to just LIVE with, I'm sure you see that with your mom too, what a tough thing do be stuck with diseases that are still so f*ucking mysterious.
    Thinking positive thoughts in your direction too :wink:
  • NattieRose80
    NattieRose80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That is amazing.... They deserve it don't they! Mothers are truly a blessing and we are a blessing to them as well. I also hope that my journey sparks something in my Mom to join along for a better quality of life... We all deserve to have this.... Great Topic :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you and your mom! I hope she feels better and can get off her meds.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is incredibly awesome!!!!

attraction rather than promotion ... she wanted what you have
  • Nancy33333
    Nancy33333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a great story. You should feel honored. And being able to help your mom is truly great. It's really nice that she asked you to help her.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite NSVs! Probably because I'm close with my teen daughter and hope that we can continue that relationship into her adulthood and love to hear someone talk about their great relationship with their mom. Glad that your changes can help her out...thanks for sharing!
  • Patti6359
    Patti6359 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is the sweetest NSV I have ever heard! Blessed beyond measure!! Way to go Mom!
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite NSVs! Probably because I'm close with my teen daughter and hope that we can continue that relationship into her adulthood and love to hear someone talk about their great relationship with their mom. Glad that your changes can help her out...thanks for sharing!

Ditto that! Great NSV!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!