Help!! Leg cramps!

time2wrk
time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I woke up with a low grade headache, so I took a couple Excedrin before spinning class. After spinning class, we had circuit training and in the middle of class, my right calf cramped up something AWFUL. It is still sore and feels like it's threatening to cramp again. Other than a banana, any other suggestions? I am wondering if the headache and this combined means I am dehydrated??? (I don't feel thirsty, but???)

Replies

• time2wrk
    I woke up with a low grade headache, so I took a couple Excedrin before spinning class. After spinning class, we had circuit training and in the middle of class, my right calf cramped up something AWFUL. It is still sore and feels like it's threatening to cramp again. Other than a banana, any other suggestions? I am wondering if the headache and this combined means I am dehydrated??? (I don't feel thirsty, but???)
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559

Cramps are usually a pretty good indicator of dehydration. Drink some water or some gatorade G2 low calorie and actually really good) and see if that helps.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    I always heard one should drink water even when not thirsty, because thirst can be a sign of dehydration...
  • time2wrk
    Ok, is the G2 really fruity tasting (I have a hard time with the regular Gatorade...)? I am willing to try anything, it is really tweaked all the way down through my foot.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Ok, is the G2 really fruity tasting (I have a hard time with the regular Gatorade...)? I am willing to try anything, it is really tweaked all the way down through my foot.

Yep, it's actually much better tasting than the regular salty-orade
  • time2wrk
    Ok, thanks guys, I will drink G2 and water and not stray far from a bathroom today. :laugh:
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    take some midol and eat a banana or some brocoli...... you may be low on potassium
  • Jezika
    Jezika Posts: 82 Member
    Bananas!!!! Cramps and spasms are a sign of not enough potassium.Either eat bananas or a multi-vitamin. You should be taking a multi-vitamin if you are dieting anyway. That way you're getting enough vitamins and minerals. And drink a lot of water, better to be hydrated than not.
  • time2wrk
    Bananas!!!! Cramps and spasms are a sign of not enough potassium.Either eat bananas or a multi-vitamin. You should be taking a multi-vitamin if you are dieting anyway. That way you're getting enough vitamins and minerals. And drink a lot of water, better to be hydrated than not.

OK, I ate a banana, but I do take a multi every day, so hopefully this is just an odd thing.
  • time2wrk
    take some midol and eat a banana or some brocoli...... you may be low on potassium

A midol, eh? Never occurred to me. Thanks. I will give it a try too.
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    It could be lack of water, potassium, or even magnesium causing the cramp. My husband started taking magnesium tablets and the cramp problem he was having in his calf went away.
  • cjlinn
    cjlinn Posts: 2
    Vitamin E is good for leg cramps also! My husband recently had a problem with leg cramps - so I searched the web and along with gatorade, water & banana it also mentioned Vitamin E! It worked fast!
  • EllaBella
    EllaBella Posts: 140
    Ok call me crazy, but my father-in-law wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes with terrible leg cramps and he right away goes and gets......pickle juice!! :ohwell: I've never tried it--I would probably puke!! On the other hand my dad also wakes up with terrible leg cramps in the night and his remedy is rubbing lots of mineral ice or icy hot on the leg and massaging it in. Also my dad has taken potassium pills for a very long time and still gets cramps:indifferent:
  • time2wrk
    Ok call me crazy, but my father-in-law wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes with terrible leg cramps and he right away goes and gets......pickle juice!! :ohwell: I've never tried it--I would probably puke!! On the other hand my dad also wakes up with terrible leg cramps in the night and his remedy is rubbing lots of mineral ice or icy hot on the leg and massaging it in. Also my dad has taken potassium pills for a very long time and still gets cramps:indifferent:

There is a lot of sodium in pickle juice, so if he's dehydrated that may help. Um, however, I think I will pass on this remedy because then I might wind up with severe nausea or some stomach problem! :laugh: Thanks, though!
This discussion has been closed.