Which workout dvds work the best?

Options
I can't afford a gym membership right now and would prefer to workout at home anyway. With Winter approaching and snow on its way to keep me at home, I was wondering what workout dvds you all use?

I've seen the threads on 30 Day Shred and just ordered it. I also am a HUGE fan of Biggest Loser, so I have a few of those dvds also (although I've only been brave enough to use one...and only the one time).

What are your thoughts......best motivational workout dvds, best calorie burn for the time spent, or most well-rounded workout?

Replies

• jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Best calories burnt for the time spent Insanity or Turbo Fire for sure! 30 Day Shred is a great one to start with though and cheap! I DON"'t Like the Biggest Loser workout series I don't think you burn as much as you should in the time time put in!
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    It depends on which ones you can stick to :) I personally like anything from Ellen Barrett, hip hop abs, turbo jam, bellydancing, hooping, & Zumba dvd's (I teach fitness classes that have dance steps so have to do my research lol)
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My vote is turbo fire!
  • PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a great one to start with. My plan is to finish up the Shred, then do Slim in 6, then maybe do Insanity if I feel ready..... Insanity is a big burn but you really should be at some kind of good fitness level to do it.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Remember you can make a good dvd great. 30 day shred, Banish fat boost metabolism, are good, Jackie warners new ones are too. I have the BL Scult max and cardio max like them both. I always make it hard if I have too. TO get that calorie burn.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I think 30 Day Shred is a great one to start with. I started with just walking, then moved to Slim in 6 (Beach Body videos) and then I bought Turbo Fire (another Beach Body product) did a round of that and LOVED it but probably wasn't as fit as I should have been when I started it because I had a few small injuries. I'm now switching between a day of Turbo Fire and a day of 30 Day Shred. 30 Day Shred is great because it helps build some upper body strength of which I'm lacking.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Do you have cable TV? check out On Demand under the sports & fitness section. They have LOTS of FREE workouts available, including 30-day shred, so you can try it out before you buy it. But then again, why buy anything when it's available for free? :)
  • goldilocks007
    Options
    I like the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's. I get a good workout with easy to follow steps. I also have the shred DVD, a great workout as well.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Personally I LOVE Turbo Jam!! I can burn about 800 calories in 45 minutes and I have seen great results!
  • kbooth
    kbooth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've heard of Turbo Fire and Turbo Jam....but I don't know what they are. Are they like kickboxing workouts?
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's. I get a good workout with easy to follow steps. I also have the shred DVD, a great workout as well.

I love Leslie's DVDs! They are so great and easy on the joints when I'm having a rough time. I have her "Walk away the pounds" DVD (4 fast miles), and it is currently the only one I use. I am so annoyed with my other ones. lol. But it is nice because you get your cardio and strength training if you have the stretchy band, and the moves are EASY (not to say you don't get a good workout, you just don't have to be coordinated at all to do it). I just recently bought the 30 day shred and am awaiting it in the mail so I can mix up my videos a bit. But seriously, get a Leslie Sansone dvd-they are great!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Slim Series (follow-up to Slim in 6). I just started another round today after taking three weeks off, and I am so jazzed to be doing it again! It's six different workouts on six different DVDs. Five of the six are cardio plus light resistance. The sixth is stretching and lower-back strengthening. Workouts range from 60 to 80 minutes long. (Only two are the longer end of the range.) It's such a well-rounded program, in my opinion, without being as "extreme" or "insane" as some others. Not that those are bad things, but they're not what I'm looking for in a workout program at this stage in my life. I want to be strong, flexible, fit and lean, and Slim Series is helping me stay that way, along with eating right and tracking my food here on MFP.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I've heard of Turbo Fire and Turbo Jam....but I don't know what they are. Are they like kickboxing workouts?

Turbo Jam is specifically a cardio kickboxing series but you also do other types of cardio-based moves. Turbo Fire (my personal favorite) combines high intensity interval training (HIIT) with other cardio based workouts that use kickboxing, plyometrics/jump training, and calisthenics to get your heart rate up to burn a lot of fat and calories. Both series also include strength training and stretching workouts so they're full body programs.

Sharon
  • ChanelCharlie
    Options
    Turbo Jam is my favorite right now!!! I asked for Turbo Fire for christmas and I'm soooo excited!!
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Netflix has a few too, including 30 Day Shred and Tae Bo (I like Tae Bo, just time consuming). Worth a look, if you have Netflix.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Personally I LOVE Turbo Jam!! I can burn about 800 calories in 45 minutes and I have seen great results!

BEST DVD EVER!! TJ lover for 4 years now but 800 cals? Ummm k, if you have a HRM I trust you. I burn 400 cals as per my HRM (523 as per MFP which is too high) in 50 min ( I’m 5'8/138lbs)

To answer the question below yours, yes its kickboxing but dancy'er, good beat and rhythm and you will really tone your upper body but its cardio for your entire body. You do not need to be super co-ordinated you can pick it up. The set comes with a sculpting DVD and ab workout so it really is full-body. The music was one of the biggest shockers when I tried 30 DS, its garbage music and doesn't go to the beat of what you are doing. Chalene is such a great trainer, motivating and inspiration unlike Jillian who’s lets be honest, a fugly grouch, lol! ;)
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options

BEST DVD EVER!! TJ lover for 4 years now but 800 cals? Ummm k, if you have a HRM I trust you. I burn 400 cals as per my HRM (523 as per MFP which is too high) in 50 min ( I’m 5'8/138lbs)

To answer the question below yours, yes its kickboxing but dancy'er, good beat and rhythm and you will really tone your upper body but its cardio for your entire body. You do not need to be super co-ordinated you can pick it up. The set comes with a sculpting DVD and ab workout so it really is full-body. The music was one of the biggest shockers when I tried 30 DS, its garbage music and doesn't go to the beat of what you are doing. Chalene is such a great trainer, motivating and inspiration unlike Jillian who’s lets be honest, a fugly grouch, lol! ;)

yeah I have checked it with an HRM before and it's pretty close to what MFP lists but I burn that much because of my current weight also it has gone down since I have lost the 46lbs. When I started out I was buring over 1000 in 50 minutes now I am at around 800 per 50 minutes.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Good for you Amber!