I haven't lost anything??

Options
Ok so around summer time I was desperate for a job and I couldn't find any except for one.........a bakery ( I know, terrible idea for someone whos trying to lose weight but I needed a job). My problem might sound dumb and insignificant compared to a lot of other people, but I was at about 62kg when I started the job in September, and I just quit and stopped working Feb 2nd. I'm at 67kg and I haven't been able to lose anything since then... I used to eat about 2500-3000 calories when I was working there, and since I stopped I only eat about 1400 max with some minor exercise. I know some people might say it's not enough to eat but I've always stayed around 1300-1400 my whole life.

I also might mention I started the 30 day shred yesterday and gained a pound??? Can someone tell me whats up

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    What's up?

You're being impatient. That's what's up.

This isn't about what's happening over the course of a week. Think longer term.

Put differently, we can't gauge the efficacy of a plan using a 7 day test. Set your expectations to a monthly check up. If things aren't heading in the right direction after 3-4 weeks, you know that something needs modifying.

Oh, and 1400 calories for someone your weight, without knowing more, is likely a decent ballpark to find yourself in for fat loss.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what stroutman81 said. Be patient - the weight didn't come on overnight and it sure as heck won't come off that quickly either. Just keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure you'll see some changes soon enough.

Considering you don't have much to lose, I'd suggest measuring success in ways other than just the scale. Take body measurements, pay attention to how your clothes are fitting, take progress pictures.

As far as that 1 pound? That's just water weight. It's very common to gain when you start a new workout program or increase the intensity of your workouts. The muscles suffer microtrauma and retain water and glycogen as part of the healing process. Kind of like when you sprain your ankle and it swells only not as visible as it's spread out over a larger area.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Wow you haven't worked in a bakery for eight days..

PATIENCE
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Lol I know I'm not going to get dramatic results in a week I just mean it;s weird how I haven't done anything except gain more even though I started working out and eating over 1500 calories less
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water weight and not fat.

Like the others have said, relax. Sometimes it can take 6-8 weeks before the scale moves, just keep with it!
  • coreyna
    coreyna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've experienced the same thing before. I read this page http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing for newbies today and it helped me understand there might be rebalancing time for your body before weight loss happens.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your body stores water weight when you start working the muscles. It is normal and natural as your muscles need that to repair. Put the scale away for awhile, just keep to the process.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Lol I know I'm not going to get dramatic results in a week I just mean it;s weird how I haven't done anything except gain more even though I started working out and eating over 1500 calories less

Ayup. Water. Stress hormones, which get all jacked up when you first start exercising and dieting, can do crazy things to water storage. Which is why it's really silly to put so much emphasis on the reading on the scale. Especially after only a short while. In 7 day's time you could lose a pound of fat and gain 4 pounds of water leaving a net change on the scale of +3.

Should you really be upset with this though?
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

I gained 3 lbs after my first week of getting back on MFP and doing Insanity. So I stopped weighing myself and all of a sudden after a month the lbs just kind of dropped off. I've lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks...because a lot of it was just my body adjusting to it's new lifestyle.

You got this. Just breathe and keep at it :)
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, explains a lot. especially when I got on the scale this morning and gained another pound... Guess I won't be weighing myself for a few weeks :)