Wanting to Surprise Husband Returning from Rehab

Options
Hello. I am asking for advice, help, suggestions from any and all -- My husband has stepped up to the plate and has gone to rehab for his issues with alcoholism. While he has taken steps to better himself, I want to really step up to the plate and better myself. In fact, for a "quick start" -- I would like to shed 15 pounds in the next three weeks so he comes home to a healthier wife and I have a sober husband. Please pass on any tips to help me shed what I can while he is away. I'll go back to a normal healthy diet after. Just trying to get a quick start here. Thank you.

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    No quick starts. Just start healthy. 5 pounds a week is completely unrealistic. That's my opinion, anyway.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Fifteen pounds in three weeks doesn't sound reasonable to me, but your goal of surprising him is laudable, as is his commitment to rehab. I don't suggest crash dieting to get it off quickly, as it will probably come back just as fast. I'd say aim for 1-2 pounds a week, buy something super sexy, and know that he's gonna love it anyway!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    How about trying to find something you can do exercise wise that will help you continue to get into shape, but will also help you look like you've lost a bit of weight. I've found that running makes everything firmer on me and when I do it regularly, I can definitely see the difference.

Good luck friend. I am so happy for you and your husband!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    work out but eat a lot when u do.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest rather than 5 lbs. a week (which you would have to KILL yourself to achieve and which you are totally unlikely to keep off) that you choose an event to train for, one which you think maybe the hubby will be interested in, too, and work on how far and/or how fast you can go for the next three weeks. Look for those things to improve, and weight loss is a serendipity of that. Good for him & good luck to you! :smile:
  • Grace619
    Grace619 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies. Perhaps five pounds a week was a bit overzealous. I'm known for that. :wink: I will give thought to all of the ideas mentioned. This is such an exciting, but stressful time. It doesn't help that all I want to do is snack on crunchy/salty.
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi Grace. We are the same age. Low carb has worked for me so far. 7 LBS in 3 days. I understand that a lot of it is probably water wait, but my body does respond to limiting carbs AND staying under my calories just a bit. Good luck.

Every time I allow myself to even think about getting out of line, I hit the stairs!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    2lbs per week is generally considered max weight loss for optimal fat loss. Once you start losing more than this, you're losing a lot of muscle mass too. Don't try and lose your weight too fast, I know you want to surprise your husband, but don't do it in an unhealthy way...
  • Grace619
    Options
    Thanks -- some great suggestions, and some great reminders. Much appreciated!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thanks -- some great suggestions, and some great reminders. Much appreciated!

:flowerforyou: And I didn't say this before. I wish you both the very best.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of people shake their head and say not possible or healthy. Anyway, low-carb it under 21 grams and you could realistically shed 15lbs in three weeks.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help that all I want to do is snack on crunchy/salty.

Suggestions for satisfying the crunchy/salty craving with lower-calorie snacks:
    Roasted seaweed (nori) - comes in a variety of flavors. I like sesame, but there are hot and spicy ones, too. Plus some important vitamins and minerals.
    Coco Lite multigrain pop cakes - also come in a variety of flavors. I like Maui onion. Only about 15 calories for a piece the size of a small (taco-size) tortilla, but thicker.
    Air-popped popcorn. It's a whole grain.
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of people shake their head and say not possible or healthy. Anyway, low-carb it under 21 grams and you could realistically shed 15lbs in three weeks.

I agree! I started low carb Monday. I have been between 10-15 carbs per day with NO GRAINS at all.Believe it or not I am down 10 pounds. I know a lot of that is water, but still! Next week I plan to take it to 30 and start walking. I will do that 2 weeks then bump it to 40 and continue to walk and the add some small weights and see how it goes.

Good luck, I have to go fix my 2 egg, steak, onion, green pepper omlet now :laugh:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It is certainly possible.

Let's go on the basis that 3,500 calories = 1lb of fat. You want to lose 5lb per week, so you need to create a deficit of 17,500 calories a week, which is 2500 cals per day.

Let’s say that your maintenance calories are 2000 per day. If you ate 500 calories a day, and then burnt off 1000 through exercise, there’s your 5lb a week loss.

However:
    so he comes home to a healthier wife

Doing that will not achieve that goal. ^
  • dlecorchick
    dlecorchick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Grace! I post this in the spirit of love and service. Please purchase an Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book and read the section "For the Wives". Also, attend an Al-Anon meeting in your area. If you have any questions regarding these two suggestions please ask...

:)
  • Grace619
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for all for the great tips and suggestions. I haven't lost the 15, but I did lost some and tightened all over through more spot exercise and cardio. He comes home on Friday, so I'll continue through his arrival. More importantly, I'll continue after to improve me while he continues to improve him (if he chooses - I understand it's his decision). At least I'll feel better for whatever lies ahead. Anyway, been eating healthier and moving more and feel confident in many ways.

Thank you for the suggestion of the AA Big Book. I've never seen this book yet. Planning my first Al-Anon meeting this week, too.