How often should I be strength training?

Options
Hi, over the last 7 months I have lost 4 stone and reduced my body fat from 33% to 20% and I have achieved this through purely dieting and excercising (only cardio).
However now I am turning my attention to strength training with the goal of reducing my body fat by a few more percent and also building/maintaining the muscle I already have.
Bearing in mind I have never really had a serious attempt at strength training before how often should I be working these muscles?
Currently I am lifting using dumbbells (8 kg on each dumbbell) and mainly focusing on biceps, shoulders, triceps chest and abs ( I am also doing pressups and crunches)
The problem is that after every session I can't really feel any burning in my muscles so I am doing it twice a day now just to convince myself that I really am working the muscles.
Is this a mistake? If so can someone please offer some advice.
Thanks in advance
Dan

Replies

• scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For lifting I would recommend a program like stronglifts 5x5. pretty simple and time efficient. Its also more of an easy strength mentality. Personally I like to preach Kettlebell training like "Simple and Sinister". It works for my high mileage joints that dont like lifting anymore.