I have discovered PICKLES!!

Options
I've just found out that my favorite Claussen kosher dill pickles are 5 clories per spear. An ENTIRE JAR of them is 65 calories total! This means that I can eat pickles ANYTIME I WANT, as many as I want, and this makes me insanely happy (and my girlfriend a little nervous; she hates pickles and won't kiss me after I eat them till I brush my teeth. But I can do that.)

It's such a relief to have *something* I really like which I can snack on whenever I please, as much as I please. The only issue I have to worry about with the pickles is to make sure I don't eat so many at once that they upset my stomach... and mine doesn't seem to do that very easily, fortunately.

I have discovered my perfect diet snack food. I have discovered PICKLES. Whee!!

-Naomi, a bit pickle-drunk right now

Replies

• sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Check out the sodium. :wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Check out the sodium. :wink:
    yup, I love me a pickle too...but unfortunately that sodium adds up as much as the joy of a pickle. Only an occasional pickle eater now..:cry:
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I eat pickles a lot but the sodium is extremely high.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Careful of the sodium, it's a free food. But...
  • rewdy
    rewdy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sodium causes your body to retain water which can, in turn, make you feel bloated. Just a caution.

More about salt's affect on health here: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_salt.php

Just so you're aware...

In the mean time, enjoy those pickles in moderation. :smile:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I eat pickles almost everyday- usually just as I walk in the door from work. Like everyone has said the sodium is high tho- so its the first thing to go when I get to a plateau. But as long as you're losing, enjoy! (I also enjoy the sanwich chips- more flexibility)
  • bobball
    Options
    Me TOO! I love pickles and did the dance of joy when I looked them up. I am going to look for a lower sodium variety.
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love pickles too and was eating them for my snack. My trainer got onto me for having them at night. She said they are loaded with sodium and cause you to retain water so not to eat them right before bed. She also said not to eat more than on whole pickle a day...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    FYI - there are some low sodium varieties out there. Not sure if they sell them at grocery stores, since I don't buy pickles myself (not too fond of them). Here's some web links...

http://rickspicksnyc.com/low-sodium-pickles

http://www.heartwisefood.com/sbgunkocrdi.html

You can also make your own pickles, pretty easily. Just google "homemade pickles" (perhaps with "low-sodium" added to your search phrase) and you'll get a ton of results. Here are a few:

Here's a low-sodium recipe (but it seems a big high in sugar to me...)
    http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/RefrigeratorPickles.htm

This one doesn't have added sugar: http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-dill-pickles-3273
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I love em too! Just drink extra H2O if you're worried about water retention. I discovered sweet potatoes. But I love to eat them with Tony's spicy creole seasoning. SO MUCH sodium. I make sure not to weigh in the day after cuz I retain a ton of water!!!!! :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    As others have said... pickles are GREAT but do watch out for the sodium!
  • LaraMonk
    Options
    I love pickles too! I also try snacking on baby carrots
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pickles are great!! Just be aware of that sodium. You might not have a personal problem with things like high blood pressure, but the amount of sodium in pickles is ASTOUNDING and it could cause you to gain some water weight. That being said, if blood pressure is not an issue, and you are aware that any weight gain is just water and will soon go away, I say GO FOR IT!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Pickles are the best!! :heart:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    ....pssst- I think pickles have a lot of sodium. :noway:

It's a dirty hidden secret that the government is trying to hide from you! Tell everyone who likes them. Several times, so it will sink in. :laugh:
  • PocketNaomi
    Options
    Thanks for warning me about the sodium, guys. I don't have a blood pressure problem at all, so i don't think it will be bad for my health, but I definitely agree with the person who says don't weigh myself the day after I've eaten them, or I'll be aghast at the number on the scale, even though it's only water weight. I'm not really worried about the water weight -- it comes off in a few days without effort -- but I wouldn't have known to account for it. I've already figured out the hard way that if I eat popcorn I'm going to weigh high for two or three days, because I put so much salt on it.

I'll keep eating my pickles, and my popcorn... but I'm glad I know what to expect now! Thanks, all!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, a person doesn't have to have high blood pressure to be sodium cautious, it's good for all of us to watch our level. It's not only water weight it can add, it' simply not healthy for our bodies to take in anything more than is healthy for our bodies.

Same as if someone eats sugar, one doesn't have to be a diabetic to need to watch that intake.:wink:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, a person doesn't have to have high blood pressure to be sodium cautious, it's good for all of us to watch our level. It's not only water weight it can add, it' simply not healthy for our bodies to take in anything more than is healthy for our bodies.

Same as if someone eats sugar, one doesn't have to be a diabetic to need to watch that intake.:wink:

I totally agree! I find that I feel better when I keep my sodium low - not only do I not gain water weight, but my weight loss in general is easier. Really, everyone would be better off keeping sodium intake between 1000 and 1500 a day. I set my limit at 2000 mg, rather than the 2500 MFP sets it at (which is pretty high).