Potassium content

Options
HI
I'm trying to up my dialy intake of potassium but, the app doesn't seem to recognise it in some foods.
i.e Lemon contains about 138mg oer 100g but, it shows zero in my daily intake.
I only add a slice to warm water with some honey... is that because one slice is not enough?
Surely it should adjust it self to whatever amount I'm using
Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    The FDA has not made it a requirement for food manufacturers to include potassium on their food labels. It is optional. I think that's why we don't always have potassium included here; it's simply not on the labels to begin with.
  • cardiothief
    Options
    Ah ok.
    Thanks
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Any reason why you want to increase potassium? A lot of people make the mistake of thinking their low just because their micros are reading under. I suggest getting your blood work done at the Doctor before making changes to sodium, potassium, or any other macros and micros. It's a time saver and easier on your wallet as I made the mistake of buying a bunch of supplements only to find out my numbers were fine.
  • Shelle58704
    Shelle58704 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It might be that one slice is too small to recognize, or it could just be the listing. I had to increase my potassium as well. I know that spinach has a high content. The frozen spinach I normally eat doesn't have any listed, on the package or on MFP. I searched through a few more listings and found it with the potassium content.

If someone is low in potassium, one can generally tell. My first sign was that I was getting muscle cramps. I looked at my past intake and realized that I was not getting enough. Ever since I brought it up I am feeling loads better. Not just muscle cramps, but fatigue as well. I thought I was training too hard, adding too many miles too soon, so I just ate more calories. Now looking back, I just needed more potassium! Eating fewer calories, no more muscle cramps, and no more fatigue.