Obese to fat

Options
So the day comes when you run your BMI, and you realize you're no longer obese, you're just fat. Is this a good day or a bad day?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    good day
  • JMel86
    JMel86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! It was a good day for me! I was happy about my progress & to be getting healthy. :)
  • Tabbycat54
    Tabbycat54 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is a very good day in my book. If I were to run my BMI and it no longer said I was obese but just overweight, I'd be more than ecstatic. Great job!
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Both - Good day because you are getting healthier and your body is not struggling as much. But bad because its just that little bit harder to go from Fat to normal weight than it is to go from obese to fat.
  • sigridolsen
    sigridolsen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome day in my books!
  • beerey05
    beerey05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good! You're that much closer to being at a healthy weight! Way to go!
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm there now .... and it is most most awesome!
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    "Obese" / "Fat" / "Normal" / "Abnormal?" - these are just labels. You can choose to celebrate these societal landmarks and if you choose these as your targets absolutely celebrate them! If you choose other more modest or optimistic stretch goals - celebrate these as well. As with any goals make them SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely). eg. I want to lose 2.0 lbs per week on average over the next 4 weeks would be a SMART goal.
  • seever
    seever Posts: 30
    Options
    What a positive group of people you all are. I feel so cup-half-empty at the moment. haha
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    they are just labels - but unfortunately, they are also the standards that doctors still use and trainers and a variety of health professionals

Moving from one part of a scale that doesn't really have much relevance to my body type shouldn't be that big of a deal... but if you've been on the other end of the spectrum for so long, moving down is a good thing

I'm pretty sure most people are aware the the BMI scale isn't totally accurate, but again it does feel good going from "morbidly obese" to just plain "overweight"
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Totally looking forward to being 'overweight' again - it's another 10kg for me to reach that milestone.
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm there now .... and it is most most awesome!

Yes its not just a good day, its an awsome day. Fantastic weight loss by the way
  • Coastcatibi
    Options
    I will be over the moon when I reach that goal!!! Time for you to celebrate that achievement :) Be happy!!!
  • flame_retardant
    flame_retardant Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :-) its a great day
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Its a great day. I hit that day 3 weeks ago.. and I am still buzzing about it. My cholestrol is within the normal range. I am no longer insulin resistant and best of all. My waist measurement is now less than 100cm. (personal goal) so what a way to celebrate being just overweight. :D I look forward to my bloods looking better at 'healthy' range and my waist being smaller than my hips (am an apple) :) and weight coming off slower.. bring it!.. slow off ...means more chance of me keeping it off.

So CONGRATS!! Well done on your acheivement.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    So the day comes when you run your BMI, and you realize you're no longer obese, you're just fat. Is this a good day or a bad day?

I still remember the fantastic feeling I had on that day. Its a great day and a great starting point to move forward from
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It's an awesome day! Or at least, a better day than still being obese?

Out of curiosity I ran my BMI and it would appear that since I started MFP I have gone from "morbidly obese" to "obese level 2".

Um. Whoohoo? LOL sheesh I knew I felt pretty big but I had no idea I was "morbidly" obese. I guess it was pretty good to find that out after it was already over!

I can say for sure I very much look forward to just being overweight again!