Working out close to 2 hours a day ok?

skyley
skyley Posts: 60 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I am doing the turbo fire workout but last week started to do two days of workouts in one day which is usually pretty close to two hours is that ok or am I just overdoing it? I have seen pretty good results but I don't want to hurt myself either and end up not loosing weight I do feel pretty good after though like I'm accomplishing something lol

Replies

• Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    As long as your not hurting yourself theres no too much. My answer is always listen to your body. Also keep in mind exercise can only do so much. Diet is 90 percent of how we look. I am not just talking weight loss, even toning and building lean tissue involves the right foods.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    I think you really need to listen to your body to detemine if that's okay. It's different for everyone really. If you feel worn out instead of energized, or feel dizzy, nauseated, light-headed etc. those are ways to tell if you're overdoing it. Make sure you keep hydrated during your workouts and you'll be fine. I know some people who workout 4-5 hours a day. Listen to your body, if it needs to stop, don't push! Take a break, hydrate and do what you're able to.
  • Like everyone else said.. If you feel you can do it, go for it. The P90X doubles calls for people to workout (lift) in the a.m and do an hour of cardio a night. Besides the time commitment, I don't think I could do it. After one hour of P90X i'm spent. And I am in fairly good shape and only 20.

Also remember, you NEED to put in 150% at you're workouts. You don't want to workout for two hours, at only 80% an hour. You are better off doing one hour at 100%.
  • Once you hit your target weight, do you intend to maintain that workout schedule? If not, I wouldn't even bother doing it now. What would be the point if you're not going to keep doing it? You may lose the weight faster, then struggle to keep it off because you're not as active. Only do as much as you're prepared to continue doing after the weight's gone.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Well, actually you can do to much cardio. Cardio over 30 minutes starts to burn muscle and muscle is your metabolism. The P90X doubles call for an extra Cardio on the days you do resistance but not one the days you do Plyo, Yoga or Kenpo.
    I would suggest you add some resistance workouts 3 days a week to build some muscle. Muscle burns fat.
    If you do a split do 1 workout in the morning and 1 in the evening. If doing them both at the same time do resistance 1st then cardio. Resistance 1st depletes glycogen stores and when you do cardio you'll be burning fat.
  • I'm with you there. I'm on week 6 of my first round of P90X. It's been suggested to me that i start doing the P90X doubles, I've also thought of just incorporatinng some jogging three times a week...but it's just so time consuming. Maybe on round two! I don't know if my body could handle that. I'm dead by the time I finish my daily P90x workout. Let alone running or doing cardio X with it.
  • Well, actually you can do to much cardio. Cardio over 30 minutes starts to burn muscle and muscle is your metabolism. The P90X doubles call for an extra Cardio on the days you do resistance but not one the days you do Plyo, Yoga or Kenpo.
    I would suggest you add some resistance workouts 3 days a week to build some muscle. Muscle burns fat.
    If you do a split do 1 workout in the morning and 1 in the evening. If doing them both at the same time do resistance 1st then cardio. Resistance 1st depletes glycogen stores and when you do cardio you'll be burning fat.

uh oh. I've started doing an hour on the elliptical, sometimes with a short stationary bike ride in between. On the elliptical I usually keep the resistance at 8 for 4-8 minute intervals. I know it's cardio but does that qualify as resistance training? Hmm. Hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    No, that is not resistance training. You need to use weights or band and even your own body weight in some exercises.
This discussion has been closed.