Is my body in starvation mode? What can I do?

Options
Hi everyone,
If there is a thread that covers this well feel free to link me, have tried searching but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.
Just some back ground, I am 19, 5 ft 1, and 108 pounds.
I do cardio training for approximately 45 minutes 3 or 4 days a week and add in some weights once a week.
I have found that recently I am unable to burn fat.
I searched online how to get calorie deficit and my results came to 900 calories daily. Which I found I would become hungry on, so I upped it to 1000, I often go over it by 50 or so calories but not daily. Have been doing this for approximately 4 months. And I have not lost a pound in over a month.
Have read some threads stating my body may be in 'starvation mode' which is not what I am after at all!!
I am worried if I increase my calorie intake drastically I will increase weight and body fat?
So if anyone can help me at all it would be appreciated!
Regards

Replies

• tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Why exaclty are you unable to burn fat? Sounds like a bit of trolling going on......

And i want legit science behind this

What tests did you have done?
    What is it your body cannot do?
    I highly doubt you are unable to burn fat
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    No site will ever recommend 900 calories a day unless it's people with eating disorders. Eat at least 1200 calories or better yet work out your TDEE.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    At 5'1" and 108 lb you are at a healthy weight.

What exactly are your goals?

If it is to build muscle and.achieve a toned look then you will need to eat more and do strength/resistance training.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Rather than make assumptions about your motives I am going to assume that you are really talking about not being able to lose weight rather than body fat.

If this is the case then the answer is fairly simple in my view, you are not eating only 900 to 1000 calories per day.

How much weight were you losing per week before the weight loss stopped?

Plug your numbers into MFP, weigh/measure and log everything you eat/drink and see how you get on
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose weight?

This sounds like there is something more going on here. I would suggest you see a doctor, possibly a registered dietitian and counselor.

Just in case, I'll leave this here:

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    "Individuals experiencing starvation lose substantial fat (adipose) and muscle mass as the body breaks down these tissues for energy. Catabolysis is the process of a body breaking down its own muscles and other tissues in order to keep vital systems such as the nervous system and heart muscle (myocardium) functioning. Vitamin deficiency is a common result of starvation, often leading to anemia, beriberi, pellagra, and scurvy. These diseases collectively can also cause diarrhea, skin rashes, edema, and heart failure. Individuals are often irritable and lethargic as a result.

Early symptoms include impulsivity, irritability, hyperactivity, and other symptoms. Atrophy (wasting away) of the stomach weakens the perception of hunger, since the perception is controlled by the percentage of the stomach that is empty. Victims of starvation are often too weak to sense thirst, and therefore become dehydrated.

All movements become painful due to muscle atrophy and dry, cracked skin that is caused by severe dehydration. With a weakened body, diseases are commonplace. Fungi, for example, often grow under the esophagus, making swallowing painful.

The energy deficiency inherent in starvation causes fatigue and renders the victim more apathetic over time. As the starving person becomes too weak to move or even eat, their interaction with the surrounding world diminishes.

There is also an inability to fight diseases, and in females, irregular menstruation can occur."

Got any of that going on? No? Then you aren't starving.
  • minigirl99
    Options
    Uh, I'm new to this (not to weight loss, just this site) and I was wondering what if you're like 4,10 and not even 20 yet, and you're eating 800 calories some days and then 1400 other days, is that bad? Because for three days I ate like 700-800 calories and tomorrow I'm gonna go eat out and probably end up around 1500 for the day.

You're metabolism doesn't slow down in three days right?
  • amandajune1994
    Options
    Sorry not very educated in this stuff. But yes in saying I can't seem to burn fat I was referring to weight loss
  • amandajune1994
    Options
    Thanks for that information! Helps alot. Was worried cause in other threads I read they many replies to similar stories like mine where telling the poster that their body is in starvation mode!
  • toaster6
    Options
    Uh, I'm new to this (not to weight loss, just this site) and I was wondering what if you're like 4,10 and not even 20 yet, and you're eating 800 calories some days and then 1400 other days, is that bad? Because for three days I ate like 700-800 calories and tomorrow I'm gonna go eat out and probably end up around 1500 for the day.

No, metabolism isn't wrecked is such a short time. Actually, metabolism doesn't have much bearing on your weight.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/slow-metabolism/expert-answers/faq-20058480

As for how much you should be eating, that depends on your current weight. I'm not sure, but 700-800 calories is probably too little for you, even at your height. You can use a calculator to figure out what intake might work for you and adjust according to what results you get. You may be able to consume more than suggested.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=18&csex=f&cheightfeet=4&cheightinch=10&cpound=160&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.375&x=79&y=15
  • amandajune1994
    Options
    That's pretty much exactly my goals! Plus losing approx 4 lb. I will research some of that. Sincerely helping me a lot!
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sorry not very educated in this stuff. But yes in saying I can't seem to burn fat I was referring to weight loss

Okay so how much weight are you trying to lose?

ETA - sorry must have posted at the same time.
  • amandajune1994
    Options
    At 5'1" and 108 lb you are at a healthy weight.

What exactly are your goals?

If it is to build muscle and.achieve a toned look then you will need to eat more and do strength/resistance training.

Is it best to not follow the website that said to consume 900 calories and follow mfp and consume 1200? And if so whats foods should I consume more of in completing these goals? Thank you a lot !!
  • amandajune1994
    Options

Just 4 lb, and just what you said before, want to become more lean
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft and 110lbs, significantly older then you, lightly active, don't work out and I lose eating 1350
  • minigirl99
    Options
    oh thank god, I keep reading posts on forums here that made me think everyone is going to ruin their metabolism if they don't eat 1800 calories a day :( I wish I could do that but if I did I would be 40 pounds overweight :/

thank you! and what do you mean by metabolism doesn't make a difference? Does that mean if you "ruin" your metabolism and it becomes very slow but you're still eating like 1200 calories a day (which, by what everyone says, seems to be the lowest you should go) you'll still lose weight?
  • toaster6
    Options

It sounds like you're more concerned about looking toned up? If that's the case, don't worry too much about eating a deficit to lose weight and take up weight lifting to tone your body. And lift heavy weights-- no, you won't get bulky.
  • minigirl99
    Options

No, metabolism isn't wrecked is such a short time. Actually, metabolism doesn't have much bearing on your weight.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/slow-metabolism/expert-answers/faq-20058480

As for how much you should be eating, that depends on your current weight. I'm not sure, but 700-800 calories is probably too little for you, even at your height. You can use a calculator to figure out what intake might work for you and adjust according to what results you get. You may be able to consume more than suggested.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=18&csex=f&cheightfeet=4&cheightinch=10&cpound=160&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.375&x=79&y=15

oh thank god, I keep reading posts on forums here that made me think everyone is going to ruin their metabolism if they don't eat 1800 calories a day :( I wish I could do that but if I did I would be 40 pounds overweight :/

thank you! and what do you mean by metabolism doesn't make a difference? Does that mean if you "ruin" your metabolism and it becomes very slow but you're still eating like 1200 calories a day (which, by what everyone says, seems to be the lowest you should go) you'll still lose weight?

(sorry for reposting, still trying to figure out how to use this site...)
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    A healthy weight for your height is 100-127. Any reason for stressing over a few more pounds?
  • amandajune1994
    Options

It sounds like you're more concerned about looking toned up? If that's the case, don't worry too much about eating a deficit to lose weight and take up weight lifting to tone your body. And lift heavy weights-- no, you won't get bulky.

Thanks!! Will make sure to give this ago from now on