Leptin Diet

Options
Is anyone doing the above diet? It makes a lot of sense though I don't think I personally am leptin resistant. However, I am constantly over the sugar limit according to myfitness nutrition stats. Today the only sweet thing I have eaten is a small banana. The rest of the sugar must have come from skimmed milk or vegetables. There is so much contrary advice out there!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    What is it and whats it suppose to do?
  • walbro
    walbro Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It suggests through research that many people are Leptin resistant. There are five rules:

1. Never eat after dinner which should be consumed at least 3 hours before going to bed
    2. Eat three meals a day - no snacking and leave 5-6 hours between meals
    3. Do not eat large meals
    4. Eat breakfast containing protein
    5. Reduce the amount of carbohydrates you consume

Leptin levels are highest in the evening hours. This is because leptin, like the conductor in the orchestra, sets the timing for nighttime repair. It coordinates the timing and release of melatonin, thyroid hormone, growth hormone, sex hormones, and immune system function to carry out rejuvenating sleep. It does this while burning fat at the maximum rate compared to any other time of the day. And it does this only if you will allow it, by not eating after dinner.

The Leptin Diet is the secret to getting more energy from less food. The scientific principles upon which it is based are unlikely to ever change. This is not a fad diet, a calorie manipulation scheme, or a starvation routine masquerading as a diet. It does not involve deprivation of pleasure. The underlying principles of The Leptin Diet apply to everyone, whether you need to lose weight or not. It is a lifestyle for eating properly grounded in the science of leptin.

I have lifted this from the internet - I don't know how true it is or not. Just wondered if anyone out there is on it and if they are finding a change in energy etc.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It sounds like someone in marketing found a way to cash in on getting a part of the millions of dollars spent everyday on dieting. Something you can do for free. If you avoid going into a starvation mode your body will not become Leptin Resistant. If you stay in a starvation mode and take Leptin Supplements you could compound the problem. The jury is still out on Leptin. There are a lot of studies out there claiming it is not a magic pill.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    More energy from less food? I'm not sure I want to invest the time it takes to see scientifically if leptin does this. I know a little about leptin, but I'm sure not nearly enough to make an informed answer. Anyway, people that are obese have much higher levels of circulating leptin ( 2 or 3 times as much) and because of that are thought to have leptin resistance. Considering increased leptin should signal a full signal, but it doesn't makes me believe it something else tht drive appetite. Basically does fat drive higher leptin levels or does leptin drive fat accumulation? Those diet recommendations don't really address anything other than a different way to diet, so I'm not sure what it's suppose to do in regards to extracting more energy from the food we eat. Skeptical come to mind.
  • walbro
    walbro Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for input guys. You can still eat 500 to 600 calories per meal and it certainly isn't leaving me hungry. I have lost two pounds in 5 days but that may just be down to water as it says reducing carbs can have that effect. I'm not taking any supplements just trying the 3 meals a day. It has curbed by snacking which has to be good. My energy levels are a bit low though and that was the main reason I wanted to try it.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The only way to tell if a diet is and will work for you is time. Log it and weigh in every two weeks and measure your body parts. Sounds interesting and good luck to you.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Doesn't a high carbohydrate diet increase Leptin levels ?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You've already lost 23 pounds doing what your doing so why not continue doing what has already worked for you?