Ketosis This is my best way of describing it

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Srsly though, is there something my employee can do to stop stinking up the joint?
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you can suggest it but Smart Mouth is a fantastic mouthwash that when used 2x daily really helps with the dragon breath.

I can't answer the cross fit/insulin question but see more knowledgeable people chimed in.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This is interesting to me because I am a veterinarian and if I see an animal in ketosis, they are critically ill although the ketosis I am referring to is secondary to uncontrolled diabetes. They are animals that have burned a significant amount fat for fuel since they have not been able to appropriately utilize the food they eat. 90% of the time I can diagnose them by smelling their breath.

That sounds more like diabetic ketoacidosis, which is different from nutritional ketosis. And no worries, even a lot of doctors get confused by this (which is why you'll see so many articles that say ketosis is bad). In reality, everyone goes into a state of mild ketosis from time to time, usually while they're sleeping, but also in cases where you're sick and can't hold food down (I had this happen to me, once, morning sickness is a b*tch).

Ketone production is balanced by insulin production. This is why you go into ketosis when you drop your carbs way down and keep protein moderated, and why even too much protein will push you out of ketosis. It's actually not possible for a person who can produce adequate amounts of insulin to get into a state of ketoacidosis (hence the term diabetic ketoacidosis, the only people who can enter that state are diabetics, usually only Type 1, but some Type 2 diabetics can as well), because ketones themselves will produce an insulin response when they start getting too plentiful.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Srsly though, is there something my employee can do to stop stinking up the joint?

eat in a regular deficit and lose weight that way, or just get him like a case of scope?
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    ketosis means you can't drink alcohol....and that's no way to live
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Can't be farther from the truth. In fact, it seems that strawberries and blackberries, at least, actually have their antioxidant activity increased by alcohol.

No, you can't drink beer until you're so smashed you don't know what happened come the next morning, but that's no way to live.

http://www.nobunplease.com/alcohol-on-a-low-carb-keto-diet/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-alcohol
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/alcbev.htm
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've had vodka clubs and remained in ketosis. THe affect of alcohol is magnified when I'm in ketosis though, one is enough.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    To put thing into perspective, the Inuit people traditionally survived and were healthy on a diet of protein and fat, and virtually no carbs.

and of course the race adapted over a few thousand years to do this with most of the population dying off because the diet killed them with a few survivors to pass on their genes.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. You can drink. You just need to be more aware of what you drink. Rum and Vodka are okay on keto, if mixed with something like diet coke/pepsi/rootbeer. Also, I found that keto actually lowered my alcohol tolerance, thus I can get buzzed off less drinking. So that's a plus!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

No, you can't drink beer until you're so smashed you don't know what happened come the next morning, but that's no way to live.

8dd7aa46d497c98a2bd21cfa44724aa6a34f19876a54028e94097424baa41f2c.jpg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    So I have a question for the ketosis folks since I have ya here. Yeah, I am lazy but there is so much craze around it that it is hard to find the answer to simple questions sometimes without a whole lot of funk and fluff.

So from what I understand, in order to get into ketosis don't you have to strict low to no carb/high fat and protein diet? If so, doesn't this wreck havoc on your insulin levels? Doesn't that severely retard muscle development? The reason I am asking is I usually see crossfit people toting the ketosis diet and I can see how it would be beneficial for fat loss but confused as I believe low insulin levels really have an impact on muscle growth which is what crossfitters are really aiming to do.

Anyone care to explain what I am missing.

(and no, I am not being rude or judgmental, I am honestly curious on what I am missing)
    Protein is insulinogenic....basically aminos are still shuttled to muscle regardless of carbs, plus when glucose levels drop drastically in the blood, glucagon a hormone that's released from Alpha cells in the pancreas effect liver cells to increase glucose, which also effect insulin, only to a lesser degree and glucagon also helps regulate glucose from amino acids and/or fatty acids.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    To put thing into perspective, the Inuit people traditionally survived and were healthy on a diet of protein and fat, and virtually no carbs.

and of course the race adapted over a few thousand years to do this with most of the population dying off because the diet killed them with a few survivors to pass on their genes.

I really hope you're being a troll.

Otherwise, cite your source. The Inuit are far more likely to die of about a hundred other things (not the least of which being injuries sustained while hunting, and suicide) than the diet itself.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

8dd7aa46d497c98a2bd21cfa44724aa6a34f19876a54028e94097424baa41f2c.jpg

Right back at ya.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    whats he point of drinking if you aren't gonna get drunk? that's the fun of it all....
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    whats he point of drinking if you aren't gonna get drunk? that's the fun of it all....

If you read the other comments, it takes less to get that far (seriously, like one). And frankly, I'll take mead, vodka, or whiskey over beer any day of the week. If you're looking to get drunk, you get more bang for your nutritional buck (and possibly monetary buck, when you account for the fact that you have to drink more by volume to get drunk with beer) with 151, anyway, so...if you're looking to get drunk, what's the point of beer, anyway?

Aside from that, getting smashed to the point that I'm no longer aware of my surroundings, thus putting myself in an extremely vulnerable position, both in terms of safety and dignity (as a bartender, you should be fully aware of how idiotic some people are when smashed, I know I've seen people do some pretty stupid stuff), isn't my idea of fun. If it's yours, though, far be it from me to stop you. As my mom once told me, you're an adult, it's your life, ruin it how you want. :ohwell:
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

If your actual goal is "getting drunk," you are going to LOVE ketosis! Much cheaper buzz in the end from the point you achieve ketosis! Just don't use beer as it will knock you back out.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I used to be almost no carb and experienced a lot of energy and a real bad taste in my mouth. But it just wasn't for me. My body fat percentage is very low so unless I eat high fats there is really no where left for my body to get the fat from. I don't want to sacrifice my muscles and I'm trying to grow them so... I do very limited carbs, aside from my vegetables that I snack on througout the day I only get the whole grain kind in the morning e.g., Josephs flax low carb lavash or Ezekial bread with a lot of fiber to reduce the carbs.

I did notice that without the carbs I developed an intense sweets craving which I had to battle through for a while.

I don't eat pasta, rice, any form of white bread or flour and I steer clear from most wheat products.

Overall since I introduced restricted carbs back into my diet I feel much better, even more so than I did when I had no carbs. I learned that carbs are not the enemy and depending on the workout and the time of the workout I certainly need a few to push through.

Now I stick to very low carb, moderate healthy fats and high protein. I find that my particular body / stats / activities and level of activity respond really well to that combination. I also restrict my calories for the most part and shoot for a good size deficit on a daily basis.

Sorry... I know this post wasn't really about carbs but I guess it's kind of related. Hope someone can find this useful.

Thanks! :smile:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Low carb is better than no carb (that's just my opinion and own personal experience - everyone is different)

That being said I dip in and out of ketosis from time to time when I IF.

I generally eat about 100g of carbs which helps me manipulate my insulin levels and keep them low.

Ketosis for a short period of time (couple of days) will do no harm what so ever. A prolonged period can lead to insulin resistance.

This does depend on a lot of factors though (age, metabolism, lifestyle, activity levels). Your body does need glycogen to operate efficiently.

However if you've adapted yourself to burn ketones as your main source of energy you can comfortably operate on the majority of the glycogen your body naturally produces.

Converting from being a sugar burner to a fat burner can be a difficult process for some (but it doesn't last for ever). Once your switched it makes following a calorie deficit so much easier.
  • 123Pari
    123Pari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So I have a question for the ketosis folks since I have ya here. Yeah, I am lazy but there is so much craze around it that it is hard to find the answer to simple questions sometimes without a whole lot of funk and fluff.

So from what I understand, in order to get into ketosis don't you have to strict low to no carb/high fat and protein diet? If so, doesn't this wreck havoc on your insulin levels? Doesn't that severely retard muscle development? The reason I am asking is I usually see crossfit people toting the ketosis diet and I can see how it would be beneficial for fat loss but confused as I believe low insulin levels really have an impact on muscle growth which is what crossfitters are really aiming to do.

Anyone care to explain what I am missing.

(and no, I am not being rude or judgmental, I am honestly curious on what I am missing)

I just wanted to say was that to be in ketosis you should have a low carb/moderate protein/ high fat diet. If you eat too much protein then your body will make glucose out of the protein through something called gluconeogenesis-thus spiking insulin level.

I personally wouldn't recommend it for building muscle or cross-fitters. Its best for people with sever metabolic issues and neurological disorders.

Go tell them cross-fitters to eat some sweet potatoes!!!!!
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I am doing a low carb diet. I will need some help along the way, so if any of you would friend me that would be great!! I know I am well under 20 carbs a day right now. Maybe around 10-12 It's This is my 4th day, and I kid you not when I report that I have lost 10 pounds. A little tired, but happy to have the boost. That said, as I approach next week I do want to start adding more carbs. I am panning to eat a variety of greens and adding a tiny bit of fruit. NEVER any grains of any kind. I think I feel better when I am off the grains. Any practical, simple tips for a guy with a busy life would be great!

Thanks,

RJ