I'm new - any suggestions?

Options
I am new to this; I just started about a week before thanksgiving. Tracking everything I eat and what I do for exercise is really an eye-opener! WOW! If I had done this years ago i would have never gained this weight. I am having a slow start and Thanksgiving eating blew away my weekend calories so I am back again today, trying to stay on course.

I do great all day eating, but when I get home I want a good meal. Then the snacks start as I do my nightly chores :(
I have set a rule for myself; no eating after 9PM. Hopefully all of this helps and I can be back to the weight I feel most comfortable at and fit into my clothes better.

Replies

• Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions that I've learned from others members:

log everything you eat, even if it's a few grapes or a Big Mac. Be accountable.
    log your cleaning house time as cardio. You'd be surprised at how many calories you burn picking up after the kiddos.
    Read other members blogs and forum topics. I find them extremely helpful.

This is definitely the right place to find the encouragement you need when you're having a bad day and cheering you on when you're doing good. Everyone on here is here for the same reason. Lose weight, get healthy, feel good in your skin. :flowerforyou:
  • rachel_fritz
    Options
    Yes its hard isnt it!! I have found myself paying more attention to what I am putting on the plate as I am preparing. I have also started working out with the p90x, but kinda got off track with thanksgiving - back on track this week though. You just have to really pay attention to what you are putting in your mouth, if you are like me I never used to have to worry - but do now and realize it isnt going to correct itself. Time to take action.,
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    First of all WELCOME!!!

I agree the biggest part is accountability, make yourself log every single item that goes in your mouth! Even better if you log it BEFORE eating it. Keep track of your exercise and always underestimate rather than overestimate. Be realistic with your goals and accept that it may take a while to start losing, keep losing, reach a goal, etc!
  • katrina1025
    katrina1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to log what I WILL be eating for dinner. That way I know how many calories I can have throughout the rest of the day without going over my daily recommended. Hope this helps!
  • lagreentn
    lagreentn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Welcome to FP! I am not new, but have restarted as of today :O) Like many, I am not new to the Weight Loss journey just stalled out a bit. I previously lost 60 lbs. following Weight Watchers but then couldn't break the barrier I was at. Long story short, I gained back 15 lbs. and have decided to jump back on the weight loss pony. I would love any support that you may be able to offer.

A few suggestions I've learned along my journey:
    **Once you are finished eating for the evening, brush your teeth. The fresh, clean feeling discourages you from eating anything further.
    **Plan, plan, plan! I agree with Katrina1025, if you know what you are going to have for dinner log it so you know what you have to work with for the rest of the day.
    **Drink lots of water; if you feel like you are hungry drink a glass of water and wait 20 minutes. Often times our body gives us hunger signals when it is simply just thirsty.

Best of Luck to you all! I look forward to seeing the weight loss progress that each of you make in the future.