Motivation to exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    How do you find the motivation? What do you tell yourself when you don't feel like working out? Any tips?

Nike advice: Just do it.
    My weekday miles are part of my schedule. There's no motivation required because when I leave work, it's time to walk.
    Same deal with my weight lifting. It's 7:00PM, my *kitten* has to be in the gym.

This.... If you want it bad enough you stop making excuses and just do it.....

^^this^^ Once you realize the options, the decision is easy.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that tomorrow is another day, but by the sounds of thing, this happens to you every day. Why dread exercise? On the other hand, do you not dread being obese and idle?
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You just have to get off yer *kitten* and do it.

You make apt for the doctor, your car, etc....make it an apt for yourself to get healthier.:noway:
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    How do you find the motivation? What do you tell yourself when you don't feel like working out? Any tips?

This. My ticker says it and my phone wallpaper is it too. Also, I use to be like you. I use to be super, super lazy and I still can be but once you fall in love or start falling in love with a form of exercise or exercise in general you'll be overexcited to do you next session or goal! :D
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options

That pretty much sums it up.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Like some of the other people have said, I schedule it like an appointment. After moving to another country for work and becoming a full time single parent, I lost ALL motivation to go to the gym. I just recently defined a goal and started scheduling my workouts. I wouldn't miss a medical appointment and now I won't miss my gym "appointment."
  • Polda2010
    Polda2010 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I motivate my self by wanting to finish the movie I was watching the day before while I was on my Treadmill, also I have 2 pairs of jeans in my workout room hanging on the wall, one is a size that I used to be and one is the smaller size I'm now. That helps me. Good luck :-)
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Like others have said- you just do it. And once you push yourself to do it, and do it regularly, you get into a routine. And then you start looking forward to it, because it feels good.

I used to hate working out- I particularly hated cardio. I only liked activities such as skiing(downhill), swimming or hiking, because it didn't really feel like a workout. I wasn't doing it to work out.

Things changed when I started going to the gym during my 2nd pregnancy. I did it mostly because I didn't want to gain 60lbs like I did with my first pregnancy. Despite being pregnant and taking it relatively easy, I could feel myself getting stronger and in better shape. Now, 7 months post-partum, I really look forward to working out. I'm still very heavy, but for the first time in my life, I ENJOY cardio. I enjoy strength training. I love the energy boost, I love how strong I feel, I love the "runners high" I get from it. At this juncture, I work out not so much to lose weight, but because I love how I feel during and after. Just start doing it, keep doing it, and you'll get there.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i have been working out for so long now that it is a part of my daily routine and I find reasons to NOT skip my workouts..so if we have to have company dinner I try to bump it back as late as possible or have it on wednesday when I do not lift..

You just need to make it a part of your day and go..no excuses, no BS reasons why you can't go, just get your *kitten* in there on the days that you are supposed to and then it will become second nature.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Find a goal....work towards that goal.

2011, I just wanted to lose weight, I was 225lbs....so I ran, and worked out and I lost weight and ran a half-marathon in 6-7 months time, and dropped to 190

2012, Major Major life changes were happening, but still, I ran to keep up, and dropped to 175

2013, Major Major life changes were still happening, but I wanted to run a marathon, so I trained for one...and I did in September.

2014, I gained 15lbs back after the marathon and a surgery. I didn't want to buy new clothes, so I set a goal to do Insanity....I've got two weeks left and am down to 184, and lost about 5% body fat so far....I know this will end, but I've set goals to finish Insanity: Asylum with a start date of around April 1st

These goals have cut all the excuses, had me push through some pain and injuries, and watch my food.....even when I don't want to, knowing what's ahead keeps me going.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Try to fit any kind of exercise into your daily routine if you don't feel like going to the gym. It shouldn't feel like a chore, but just more as a part of your daily routine. Walk whenever you go on a short journey instead of driving. Lower any amounts of sugar you're consuming because sugar has a horrible tendency to make you feel lousy and out of energy when the insulin sets in and your blood sugar spike lowers.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    I'm an incredibly lazy person, like, really really lazy and I usually dread working out and find an excuse not to do it. How do you find the motivation? What do you tell yourself when you don't feel like working out? Any tips?

I go to a gym, this helps because it's like the gym is there, waiting for me. I almost *never* want to go. But I'm *always* glad I went. This makes me keep going. I don't find the motivation, sometimes I think the idea of "motivation" is actually detrimental because it gives you the idea that you have to 'want' to do something first, or have the energy to do something first. You don't! You'll never begin if you wait until conditions are perfect, because they never will be. To get the ball rolling, well, you have to start rolling the ball. :wink:

Remember that showing up is half the battle. Just manage to get yourself there (or outside, in workout clothes, or start the video, etc). Once that is done, the rest will be easier. I used to be an incredibly lazy person. I am not an incredibly lazy person now. It took a couple years to really start enjoying working out. I used to make a lot of excuses and they worked, but eventually I stopped listening to myself -- it takes awhile but it's so very, very worth it. Plus I avoid that guilty/negative self-talk of "you totally could have gone to the gym today but you didn't because you're lazy."

If you say you want to do something, want to commit to something, and then don't do it, you create this negative reinforcement for yourself to just keep doing nothing even though you say you want to do something. Stop that! :smile:

Having an accountability partner made a big difference for me. Sometimes I really disliked this person for calling me out on my laziness, but they were right! After a while I realized I don't need calling out by someone else because I do it myself. It *is* hard work, but it's totally worth it. Good luck. :happy:
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I make my exercise part of my every day life - and I dont mean that i set gym time etc - I mean that my exercise is not done at a gym.

I do my exercise as part of my every day tasks - such as walk 6 miles to work rather than bus it, walk home - I have to get to work, and its 3 busses so im saving money too :-) I walk the dogs a little more than usual - dogs walked and calories burnt :-)

I find this means i dont find excuses as i have to get to work and the animals have to be walked - after a while you get addicted :-)
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I motivate my self by wanting to finish the movie I was watching the day before while I was on my Treadmill, also I have 2 pairs of jeans in my workout room hanging on the wall, one is a size that I used to be and one is the smaller size I'm now. That helps me. Good luck :-)

This is cool!
  • MarlaVSings
    MarlaVSings Posts: 66 Member
    Options

This.... If you want it bad enough you stop making excuses and just do it.....

I think I just found my new mantra. Thanks! :glasses:
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    boy, some days I have quite the argument with myself before I get my *kitten* in gear and get my walking done. right now I go to the school to do my walking. it's either 5:30 in the morning before the kids get there or 3:00 in the afternoon after school. I prefer the morning, but some days, I just can't get up. But I DO win everyday and go. I can't wait until the weather gets decent and I can take the dog and go outside again. but my motivation is: I set my goal at 10% of current body weight as my goal. and as I lose a pound or two at a time, I get closer to that goal and it's easier all the time to get going. so far I've made 3 goals and have 3 to go. and each is less and less. that feels pretty darn good.