how much do you need to eat to kick start your metabolism?

Options
I'm not much of a morning eater but have been trying to start each day with something small at the very least. Normally this is either 1 wholemeal crumpet with a teaspoon of Manuka honey, a slice of multigrain toast with vegemite or scrambled egg whites (3 large eggs) with a few cherry tomatoes and a tbsp of parmesan . This is normally followed by a cup of black coffee once I get to work. Is this enough food to get my metabolism started in the morning?

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The idea that you can jump start or boost your metabolism with breakfast (or any meal for that matter) is a myth. Your metabolism never stops, so it doesn't need to be jump started.

If you like breakfast, I wouldn't turn you away from eating it, it's just that there is no metabolic advantage to it.

The thing to aim for is getting the right total calories per day. It doesn't matter when you get them. Do whatever works for you.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The idea that you can jump start or boost your metabolism with breakfast (or any meal for that matter) is a myth. Your metabolism never stops, so it doesn't need to be jump started.

If you like breakfast, I wouldn't turn you away from eating it, it's just that there is no metabolic advantage to it.

The thing to aim for is getting the right total calories per day. It doesn't matter when you get them. Do whatever works for you.

^This times a million. I'm sure your entire life you've been hearing that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, you need to kick start your metabolism etc etc. That's all nonsense. Eat whenever you want. Make sure you don't exceed your calorie goal by the end of the day and try to hit your macros. Eat as many or as few meals as you want and eat them whenever you want and you're good to go
  • mauridaher
    mauridaher Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "kick starting" your metabolism.
  • lramshaw
    Options
    Thanks for the help!