Spinning Class...will it hurt me?!?!?!

Options
I'm 80 lbs overweight and have only been exercising for a couple of weeks. Is a spin class at the gym a terrible idea??
I read online that it's 'for everyone' and u can go at your own pace and resistance...but wanted some insight. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Gabagail
    Options
    Chat to the instructor before the class, let them know it's your first time, and they should give you some advice. They will also help you with bike set up so that you have the correct posture/position.

Spinning is a low resistance workout, so it should be fine - it's very unlikely to hurt or injure you. Just take it at your own pace and don't turn the resistance up too much. If you have a good instructor, they should leave the resistance up to you. Once you get used to it you'll be able to go harder - and then I bet you love it! I do.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Cycling is great exercise and a lot of fun. You should totally do it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It'll hurt you so good. A nice burn deep in those legs.

Feel the burn, deep inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn5mzEAMAkY
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    There are people of all ages and sizes that I spin with. Get to class early, have the instructor help you with your bike setup and go over the basics and do as much as you can. Look into whether your gym has a begin to spin class. My y has one every Saturday. Our classes are dark-ish and everybody is busy with their own ride. Bring water and a towel and have fun! We've all decided that it takes three classes to really get it and each instructor is different in terms of their music and how they teach.
  • Christine_120
    Options
    It will hurt your butt more than anything you know so if the class offers larger seats to swap out grab one and you won't be in pain so much. Otherwise I took them and loved it- great burn.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Do it!! You'll love it. Just make sure your bike is adjusted correctly and if you stand up don't let your knees go over your toes.

It is a great class for all levels since you can go at your own pace, adjust the tension to what you like and if you don't want to stand then you don't have to.

Bring water and a towel because you will get a workout. And be prepared to get hooked on spinning : )
  • sammcneil
    sammcneil Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i know some people who have lost mad weight from spinning.

I prefer actually riding around, but I think youll enjoy it. You could burn 80 lbs in no time if you regularly attend spin class.
  • Jess102979
    Jess102979 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!!!! Its a great work out and highly effective. I have a spin bike at home for when I cant get to the gym. When its nice outside I ride my bike almost every day. never knew I would enjoy it so much. Spin away!!
  • A70sgirl
    A70sgirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Size does not matter. As long as you adjust your bike height, seat positions and handlebars correctly you will do fine. You may have a sore rear end the first few times but it will get better. Get your SPIN ON! :)
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    no because you can adjust the resistance for yourself you will get the motivation from the loud music and "the team" but the instructor also says do how you can and will have an eye on you.

I had 2 knee surgerys and still cant do everything at the spinning class and I cant go full power like some others in the class but I love it and I do what I can :) def makes you sweat and burns tons of calories and you feel great afterwards!!

First time will be really really hard for you. But you will get better from time to time.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Do not be discouraged! I was (still am) overweight when I started spinning, and I'm so glad I kept up on it!
    Not going to lie, my first class, not even ten minutes in all I thought was "I'm not doing this again". I was out of breath, constantly going in the saddle and felt like I bit more off than I can chew.

However, the next day, my body FELT it. My core, legs, even arms (from doing in the saddle push ups), my knees didn't hurt, and I felt that it takes time to get into a new workout. The class I take is at my work, they turn the lights off, so all it feels like is you're on your own with some rocking tunes!
    Just take your time, anything you do out of the saddle, you can do in the saddle. Talk to the instructor before class to help set up your bike, which is kind of important so you don't injure yourself. But really, it's an awesome way to break up cardio boredom.
    All you need is a water bottle, a towel, and tighter pants (to move around easier on the bike)
    Actually, this is the EXACT response I received when I emailed the wellness coordinator:
    You will love it! I suggest bringing with you a towel and water bottle. I usually recommend either wearing spandex under your shorts or tight fitting pants. This will allow your legs to move more freely on the bike. Be sure to arrive about 10 minutes early so you can get your bike fitted properly.

So, let us know how it went! Good luck!
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I started doing spinning when I was 80lbs overweight (I'm down 50lbs now!) and I loved it. It did hurt though ... my butt was killing me!! After 2 classes I got padded biking pants and that helped a great deal. I had a great instructor who kicked our *kitten* and motivated me, so I kept coming back even though it hurt. After a few classes the pain went away.

After a few months though I developed an injury (not spinning related) and my doctor said to avoid spinning. I want to get back to it again though now that I'm healed. It's a great calorie burner!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Sorry I swear I typed a whole message along with this. Dont know where it went. LOL

Anyways I posted this because it looks like it would the most fun class in the world but also to point out the people in the back rows are not keeping up. The are going at their own pace or resting when they need it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a spin 101 class? They can be very helpful in that they will get you properly fitted for your bike and aquaint you with what is going on. If not, arrive early and talk to the instructor before hand and have them get you set up and properly fitted on the bike and let them know it's your first time...you can absolutely go at your own pace and stop when you need to stop, etc. They can't make you do anything.

I love spinning...lots of fun and a great workout. It's done wonders for my cardiovascular fitness level and endurance.
  • lizziefoster0128
    Options
    I'm 80 lbs overweight and have only been exercising for a couple of weeks. Is a spin class at the gym a terrible idea??
    I read online that it's 'for everyone' and u can go at your own pace and resistance...but wanted some insight. Thanks!!!

Two words : GEL SEAT. or Biker Shorts. Just for your first time or two.

Also someone suggested talking to the instructor, definitely do that. Have them help you adjust your seat and show you how to get in and out if you have the shoes that lock in because that can be intimidating!

Also, see if any in your area do them "in the dark" we have a place here called Loop that does this! You get ready and everything in the light then strap in and she turns the lights off minus some led candles in front so NO ONE sees what goofy face you make or how much you are sweating. It was really nice because you focus on your ride and not what anyone else could think. Really clears the head! So it is mental and physical exercise.

But, I did one a couple weeks ago and fell in love! ...I am also now addicted. It will hurt your butt the first time, more like you sat on something than an "OMG I'M DYING", but if you stand in your bike when it starts to hurt that alleviates that.