sugar question

Options
Hi. I'm new to mfp and just started looking at my food stats. Every thing seems to be in line except I am exceeding my sugar allowance. I usually have 2-3 fruits a day and that seems to be what is shoving it up so high.
Should I cut back on the fruit?
Thanks so much.
Laura

Replies

• xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I used to snack on lots of fruit thinking it was a healthy option, it wasnt til I recently started to look at my marcos that I realised how high my sugar intake was, Ive switched to snacking on celery and pepper sticks now.
    I'd plateaued since August 2013, but over the past couple of weeks of switching up my diet I've lost 2lb.
    If youre not loosing it might be worth cutting back a bit to see if it helps, I eat 1-2 portions of fruit a day now.

Good luck.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will give that a try.
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Stick to low sugar fruits too, a banana has significantly higher sugar than an apple or mixed berries.
  • sonyapowell
    sonyapowell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There are fruits that have a lower glycemic index than others. Melons, berries, Asian pears are all pretty low. eating the fruit whole is better than processing it. For me fruit takes away my sweet tooth and decreases my chances for failure. Best wishes!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic it doesn't matter. fruit is healthy and has fiber, vitamins and minerals that your body needs. I suggest you don't track sugar if you are not diabetic, as sugar is just a carb, and you already track those.

That said, the MFP suggested sugar limit is for added sugar, but the database does not distinguish between natural and added, so tracking sugar, unless for medical reasons is required, shouldn't be tracked.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sugars from whole fruits at all if I were you. Unless you're diabetic or have some other health restriction ... it won't hurt your weight loss. The sudden losses and gains around sugar consumption are typically water and give a false sense of causation. As long as you're within your calories, sugars from whole fruits are very healthy. I personally believe it's best (for health reasons not necessarily connected directly to fat loss) to have the fiber and the fat and natural 'context' of the fruit when you eat it. If you fear sugar spikes, balance it out with some protein at the same sitting (nuts, nut butter, yogurt, cheese) and that helps maintain even sugar levels.

Best wishes!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Should I cut back on the fruit?

No. You shouldnt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't matter as long as you're not diabetic. Eat your fruit (just eat enough protein too).
  • mariskaS86
    Options
    I don't count natural sugars, like the ones in fruit and dairy... I just watch the added ones...
  • deadyankee
    Options
    I try to just eat gravel washed down with rainwater. It works fairly well but I find there's too much protein from the bird droppings in the rain water.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic it doesn't matter. fruit is healthy and has fiber, vitamins and minerals that your body needs. I suggest you don't track sugar if you are not diabetic, as sugar is just a carb, and you already track those.

That said, the MFP suggested sugar limit is for added sugar, but the database does not distinguish between natural and added, so tracking sugar, unless for medical reasons is required, shouldn't be tracked.
    ^This exactly.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice!