Cheat Days

Options

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Cheat days, non logging days, free meals...or whatever you call it, are fine if you sustain a long term caloric deficit. All that matters is you sustain that deficit.

- You can follow IIFYM and fit your favorite foods into your macros consistently
    - You can follow IIFYM and STILL have days where you go over calories or don't log (aka cheat days)
    - You can eat a restrictive diet and have free for all weekends
    - You can eat a restrictive diet and have a "free" meal
    - Etc...

Don't get lost in the arguing of semantics that comes up EVERY time a "cheat day" thread is made.

You can structure your diet in million different ways, but the goal should be doing it in a way that you can best sustain a long term caloric deficit.

Me for example..

I follow IIFYM. I eat what i want as long as I can hit my micros and macros (Similar to what SexyStef does I assume) YET I still on occasion go out and get my rockstar on, these days I do not log (GuitarJerry style) and I 100% for sure go over my calorie limits, and ignore macros (traditional cheat days).

"Honoring personal preference is one of the most powerful yet underrated tactics for achieving optimal health and body composition --Alan Aragon

Find what best helps you sustain that deficit, and hit your nutrient needs
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat within my calories, but if it's a speacil day then I eat the best I can of what I want. Saturday we are going to an event that offers in the price of a ticket complimentary desserts and coffee. I'll have some, but I'm not going to stuff myself. What I'm doing is changing my life not dieting. I have to live my life in a way that makes me happy. I've been at this for over a year and am happy with my results. I know why I gained weight and eating a dessert once in a while wasn't the reason. Good luck to you whatever you choose. :flowerforyou:

Another thing...GuitarJerry is it possible for you to post something without swearing? Jeez, some of us are somebody's mother.
  • jkregers
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to see what people thought of the idea of a 'Cheat Day', I've stayed away from them because I want to get used to my lifestyle change, but I'm thinking of adding one in. Currently, I have cheat meals where I have one treat then eat normally for the rest of the day.

What do cheat days actually involve? What can you eat on them? Is there a calorie limit? And do they hinder one's weight loss progress?

Any comments would be much appreciated :)

If you said cheat meal, I would think you might still be able to stay within your goal of caloric intake, but a cheat day implies you are not going to reach your goal.

So, to answer your last, and most important question...yes, they do hinder weight loss progress.
  • tedrickp
    Options
    So, to answer your last, and most important question...yes, they do hinder weight loss progress.

...or they are a powerful tool to help you to sustain a long term caloric deficit. Really depends how they are used and on personal preference.
  • PrincessWarior
    PrincessWarior Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree with cheat days. I cheat once a week name it I have it. Beer, Pizza, candy. Next day back to normal. I have a very active and healthy life and we do this as a family ( have kids). Did stop my six-pack evolution. Don't feel deprive.
  • jkregers
    Options

...or they are a powerful tool to help you to sustain a long term caloric deficit. Really depends how they are used and on personal preference.

Saying that it helps you sustain a long term caloric deficit is something that you cannot substantiate.

Hinder - to cause delay, interruption, or difficulty in; hamper; impede: The storm hindered our progress.

A cheat day does indeed delay, interrupt, and cause immediate difficulty in weight loss progress, simply by a function of calories in and calories out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    IIFYM

I dont really understand the cheat day concept. Im not cutting anything from my diet because I LOVE FOOD, ALL THE FOOD, ALL THE TIME.

Also, wine.

If I want a bingetastic weekend then I make sure I work my *kitten* off and earn those extra calories so I can enjoy them and not get miserable with myself because I ate a whole cake instead of a finger of frosting (this has happened and will probably happen again). But then a magical thing happens when you are sweating on the couch unable to move, you think "dude, I just worked so hard for that deficit, I dont wanna waste it on rubbish food".

The best thing to do is to stop thinking your on a diet, you can break diets. You are changing your lifestyle, your not cheating if you just fancy having a naughty day, but its good to know you have earned it.

You kinda miss the point. And, I get a little tired of people saying this. Some people want to eat MORE than their allotted calories. They don't want to earn them, they don't want ANY restriction. They just want a day to enjoy food. This site is filled with foodies. Some people really enjoy eating. They love it. They want it. It's easy for some people to talk like you, but others can't stand being restricted and they want a break from it.

I understand the idea of IIFYM, I practice it. But, some days, I say "*kitten* it. I just want to eat all the food". It happens. I used to have cheat days. Now I have non-logging days. No big deal, I hit my goals. So, pfffffttttt!

Actually I think you missed to point...a lot of us are foodies...and we enjoy our food everyday...not just "special days"

I don't "earn" calories as I am on TDEE so extra exercise doesn't matter.

I don't restrict myself from the food I enjoy and I eat as much as I can while still feeling comfortable..there is no point in eating so much you are in agony that is not a healthy relationship with food.

As for not logging...eh personal choice but you are not holding yourself accountable for those days...which is fine..some of us prefer to be accountable everyday.

I understand cheat days. That's the difference. IIFYM doesn't address this issue at all and actually has NOTHING to do with it.

You might prefer to be accountable everyday. But, I don't live that way. That's lame to me. I would never enslaven myself to something so incredibly ridiculous and crass. I do what I want bi don't have rules. If I want to eat, I eat.

If you read what I wrote above about cheat days, you might gain some perspective about them.

I don't necessarily have cheat days, nor do I agree with the concept per se, because it means your cheating. You're not cheating on anything, you're just eating food. IIFYM instill rules about macros with a calorie cap. Cheat days are not about calorie caps, so it's stupid to even bring it up, that was my main point. The two things have zero relationship.

If I want some Ben & Jerrys ice cream, I don't want a single serving that somehow fits into my overall plan fir the day, I want to eat the whole goddamn pint. I don't care about my goal or allotment or macro nutrient mix. I just want a giant serving of delicious ice cream. How would eating a tiny micro sized piece of ice cream make me happy and satisfied. It's just a ridiculous argument to bring into the cheat day theme. I totally get IIFYM and I practice it most of the time. So, I know what I'm talking about. What you, and others like you miss, is when some people say "*kitten* the calorie restriction". If you never ever ever ever ever do that, than you are a better human than I.

If you don't want to have planned cheat days, then don't. I lost 30 lbs having a cheat day every Sunday, about 5 years ago. It works really well, actually. So, while I don't do it anymore, I also don't fret if others do it. I just read that Christmas Abbot does a cheat day once a week. Lol. If it's good enough for her, I'm in.

I did read what you wrote. I don't need perspective...I can see both sides I just don't happen to agree with "cheat" meals or days...

I get what people want from "cheat" days and that's is up to them. But if you had read my first post and what I said I don't find them neccesary and find the premise of eating so much food that I am uncomfortable unhealthy. If I want Ice cream (more than a serving) I eat it but I don't eat so much that I hurt afterwards....

I have lost 44lbs without planned or unplanned cheat days. I work within my goals I don't exercise to get more food and I log everything...I have gone over my "deficet" goals on a few occassions such as my birthday but don't consider it a cheat, it is the normal course of living my life...and I say that too because "cheating" indicates you are on a short term diet and need a reward for being "good"...

As I said "cheat" indicates bad...eating food to a feeling of satisfaction is not bad...

And as I said to each their own....
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    IIFYM

I dont really understand the cheat day concept. Im not cutting anything from my diet because I LOVE FOOD, ALL THE FOOD, ALL THE TIME.

Also, wine.

If I want a bingetastic weekend then I make sure I work my *kitten* off and earn those extra calories so I can enjoy them and not get miserable with myself because I ate a whole cake instead of a finger of frosting (this has happened and will probably happen again). But then a magical thing happens when you are sweating on the couch unable to move, you think "dude, I just worked so hard for that deficit, I dont wanna waste it on rubbish food".

The best thing to do is to stop thinking your on a diet, you can break diets. You are changing your lifestyle, your not cheating if you just fancy having a naughty day, but its good to know you have earned it.

You kinda miss the point. And, I get a little tired of people saying this. Some people want to eat MORE than their allotted calories. They don't want to earn them, they don't want ANY restriction. They just want a day to enjoy food. This site is filled with foodies. Some people really enjoy eating. They love it. They want it. It's easy for some people to talk like you, but others can't stand being restricted and they want a break from it.

I understand the idea of IIFYM, I practice it. But, some days, I say "*kitten* it. I just want to eat all the food". It happens. I used to have cheat days. Now I have non-logging days. No big deal, I hit my goals. So, pfffffttttt!

No, I didnt miss the point at all. I just dont see the point in "cheat days".

I am a foodie, I live with a chef its hard not to be.

Alot of people are here to change their bodies and health, I dont see how a designated day for eating badly helps on the journey, unless you are logging it and making up for it the next couple of days or the run up to it.

Im never said you cant eat all the food if you want to, but take some responsibility, earn it and log it. Or else why be here?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Soooo you are all saying that you'll never cheat and eat above your TDEE on Holidays/birthdays/special occasions? That's nice. Good for you, I guess.

Some of us do need cheat days. I just don't recommend that they happen too much... but I think you're in denial if you're saying that you don't need cheat days as it's a lifestyle change and you can eat what you want within your calories.

I didn't have a cheat day for like 6 months (50 lbs or something?). Then I felt the need to have one (some things you just can't fit in your diary, unless you have a tiny piece, and some of us don't have the willpower for that). I survived. I've had a few more since (heck I've had 4 or 5 in the last two months).

The only thing is that you have to keep in mind that it will probably slow down your weight loss some, even if it's not very significant, so I think it's best to save them for really special occasions and on foods you really crave.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Soooo you are all saying that you'll never cheat and eat above your TDEE on Holidays/birthdays/special occasions? That's nice. Good for you, I guess.

Some of us do need cheat days. I just don't recommend that they happen too much... but I think you're in denial if you're saying that you don't need cheat days as it's a lifestyle change and you can eat what you want within your calories.

I didn't have a cheat day for like 6 months (50 lbs or something?). Then I felt the need to have one (some things you just can't fit in your diary, unless you have a tiny piece, and some of us don't have the willpower for that). I survived. I've had a few more since (heck I've had 4 or 5 in the last two months).

The only thing is that you have to keep in mind that it will probably slow down your weight loss some, even if it's not very significant, so I think it's best to save them for really special occasions and on foods you really crave.

I know I didn't say that I never eat over TDEE nor anyone else saying it, what we did say is to say it's a cheat indicates eating food we love/enjoy is bad.

How am I in denial? I eat what I want and until I feel satisfied not over indulged? I ate over TDEE over the holidays on a couple of occassions and didn't exercise to earn "extra" calories..I don't consider that cheating...as I said in my first post cheating indicates "bad"...I didn't do anything bad and it hasn't hindered my weight loss...I am about to go down south to an all inclusive and I will eat what I want, drink what I want log it when I can (not taking a computer so relying on my phone).

What I refuse to do is eat until I hurt and I refuse to not log what I eat...I prefer a healthy relationship with my food and to keep myself accountable...it would be too easy to not log everyday and then wonder why I am not losing still...

Interesting that the closer you get to goal the more you "cheat"....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    So once again you're arguing semantics.

For me my diary is a contract with myself. So if I go over, I cheat... end of the story. And that doesn't mean I don't have a healthy relationship with my food just because I use the word 'cheating'. Heck if anything... for ME, feeling that you can eat anything without feeling any guilt and that there's no such thing as cheating IS a sign of an unhealthy relationship with food, and maybe not a good way of sticking to a healthier way of eating long term.

Anyway, I'm quite sure the OP meant cheating as going over his calories. At least that's how I interpreted it and why I answered like I did.
  • tedrickp
    Options

Saying that it helps you sustain a long term caloric deficit is something that you cannot substantiate.

Hinder - to cause delay, interruption, or difficulty in; hamper; impede: The storm hindered our progress.

A cheat day does indeed delay, interrupt, and cause immediate difficulty in weight loss progress, simply by a function of calories in and calories out.

I don't have to substantiate anything when I am telling you exactly how they have helped me adhere to a long term caloric deficit. IThe psychological benefits of my cheat days contribute towards my long term success. For other people this won't be the case and these type of days will trigger bad relationships with food and/or binging. I am not out to argue the semantics like everyone else here anyways.

...Keep a sustained caloric deficit - lose weight. Choose the method that is most easy for you to adhere too...

If a cheat day in fact helps my long term diet adherence, then it is not a hindrance.
    Alot of people are here to change their bodies and health, I dont see how a designated day for eating badly helps on the journey, unless you are logging it and making up for it the next couple of days or the run up to it.

I actually think "making up for it" has the potential to lead to dangerous relationship with food.

It is also pretty clear that people can have cheat days and still change their bodies and health.

I don't "get" why people are so black and white on this issue.

Do what works for you.
  • jkregers
    Options

I don't have to substantiate anything when I am telling you exactly how they have helped me adhere to a long term caloric deficit. IThe psychological benefits of my cheat days contribute towards my long term success. For other people this won't be the case and these type of days will trigger bad relationships with food and/or binging. I am not out to argue the semantics like everyone else here anyways.

...Keep a sustained caloric deficit - lose weight. Choose the method that is most easy for you to adhere too...

If a cheat day in fact helps my long term diet adherence, then it is not a hindrance.

I'm not arguing semantics. I answered his question, and your assumption/argument that cheat days help your long term goals is a logical fallacy. You are drawing conclusions from relationships that are meaningless. The whole "do whatever works for you" sentiment is cute, but it doesn't help the OP, nor answer his question. You are just trying to insert your own bias into your response instead of answering the question.

If a cheat day increases the difficulty of achieving your goal, it is a hindrance. Having to do more work to achieve your goal because of a cheat day is an added difficulty.

If you are arguing that a cheat day is not a hindrance, you are just being obstinate.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    So once again you're arguing semantics.

For me my diary is a contract with myself. So if I go over, I cheat... end of the story. And that doesn't mean I don't have a healthy relationship with my food just because I use the word 'cheating'. Heck if anything... for ME, feeling that you can eat anything without feeling any guilt and that there's no such thing as cheating IS a sign of an unhealthy relationship with food, and maybe not a good way of sticking to a healthier way of eating long term.

Anyway, I'm quite sure the OP meant cheating as going over his calories. At least that's how I interpreted it and why I answered like I did.

I am not arguing anything with you...I am stating my opinion. Which you said was not true....:laugh:

And no where did I say having "cheat days/meals" was unhealthy, I said over indulging to the point of being uncomfortable was unhealthy. I said for me "cheat" indicates bad and I don't see food that way.

Since you feeling cheating is fine and a word you see no negative conotation with fine...but how would you know if the other way is unhealthy or a good way of sticking to a healthier way if you haven't tried it???? I've tried lableing off days as "cheat" and it didn't work for me...I avoided my cravings, my favorite foods, my fast food for months and then had "cheat" days...well hello to wanting it more and more...hence the 30lbs i have lost over and over again.

For me not lableing my food and my choices as cheats means I can eat what I want when I want and not keep gaining and losing the same 30.

We have both been on this journey of ours for the same amount of time. You joined in January 2013 and have lots significant weight and I started January 2013 (joined here in June) and have lost a significant amount of weight. We are both close to goal.

So essentially you are doing what works for you and I am doing what works for me. Neither is wrong just different.

The sure sign of which one works long term wont be known for a while...but I am willing to place bets...

As for what the OP meant only they know...I answer the question as it is asked not what I think they mean.
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to see what people thought of the idea of a 'Cheat Day',

That is the question I answered.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have treat days rather than cheat days where I allow myself 2 snacks they must fit in with calories but I don't feel awful eating them I feel like im eating whatever I want and losing weight
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't like the word "cheat". It sounds so ugly. :smile: I call mine free days, and I have one weekly to keep me sane on this journey. :bigsmile: My free days happen every Saturday. Below is an outline of what my free days look like.

1. Eat a healthy breakfast as usual.
    2. Head to church to get my praise & worship on.
    3. Eat a healthy snack after church.
    4. Eat a delicious late lunch with family & friends.
    5.Stop eating when I feel satisfied.
    6. Remember to eat my fruits & veggies.
    7. Enjoy dessert if I want.
    8. Drink at least my minimum 10 glasses of water.
    9. Remember to enjoy the company more than the food.
    10. Log everything I eat.

I hope this helps.

I like this! Especially #9 :smile:
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    sorry I can't help with this as I pretty much eat what I want when I want it...I just make it fit.

For me Cheat days indicate food is bad...and I don't believe that.

For example if I want pizza for supper I make sure I have room for it. If I want ice cream after supper I make room for it.

If I want beans and cornbread I eat it. I just eat reasonable portions of it.

This. 100x this.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do have a cheat day but let me explain..

This works for me.

During the week I eat about 1100 calories (yes I know that's "bad"), but on Saturday I eat about 4000 calories (this is the day me and my boyfriend have a date night and we go out for dinner, we live together but he works a lot and we rarely see eachother, so this is our day...) If I equal out by average calories it works out to 1500 calories a day.

During the week, I still eat what I want, I make healthy choices most of the time, but if I'm craving ice cream or a cookie, I'll have one, as long as I stay under.

So yes I have a "cheat" but I like to call it a "re-feed" day.

You can't eat 1500 calories during the week and then go eat 4000 calories on a cheat day, you will gain if you do it that way.
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump