Having the "talk" with your child

Options
13»

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Answer her truthfully and only give information that she is asking for.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My personal feeling on this was . . . .I would rather my kids hear about what sex is from me, rather then their friends. So, with my daughter, I asked her . . . Are kids in school talking about sex. She said yes, but she didn't really know what it meant. So I told her.

I started by saying, "You are going to hear kids talk about this a lot over the years, and most of the time, they are not going to know what the heck they are saying. It will be stuff they heard somewhere or even made up. So, I want you to know, you can always ask me anything, and I will always tell you the truth. I promise." That was about 4 years ago (when she was 9), and I have kept my promise. My daughter, does come to me to talk about this stuff. No subject is off the table.

One tip I can give you is, we had the initial conversation in the car, while she was sitting in the back seat behind me. She didn't have to look at me, and I think it made her feel less embarrassed. Probably me a little bit too. She did ask questions and I answered them honestly. My daughter happens to be pretty bright (high IQ), so her questions were more detailed then some other the kids might be. Give her/him the basics and let them ask what they want to know. But tell the truth. Eventually they will find out if you were lying or not. I don't lie to my kids. It's just the way it's been with me and them all along.

Good luck!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    This was the talk my parents had with me:

f30fac3953d8a301ef3e9054ffe3b267.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I had Prodigy and Compuserve by the time I was about 12 or 13. I figured it all out pretty quick.

ETA: That is not in any way helpful of course. And I don't have kids, so anything I say is no doubt completely useless. However, I think it's important for kids to understand that sex is not "bad," but to understand that sex can have serious lifelong consequences and that it must be done responsibly and safely.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Had three girls. Never had to have "the Talk". Wife's responsibility.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    We have the book It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families by Robie Harris & basically read through the book with our kids little by little. It's also just floating around the house in case they want to read it on their own. I think 9 is old enough to be fully informed. Our church also gives classes called Our Whole Lives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Whole_Lives . It doesn't have any religious stuff in it as it is. Just check with the organization hosting it to be sure if that is not up your alley, because there is a section that does have to do with faith if they choose to give it. I highly recommend it if you can find it in your area. My 2 oldest have gone & it really does cover everything.
  • luvinlife2012
    luvinlife2012 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I never had "the talk" but opted instead to answer every question honestly, with an age appropriate answer. And sometimes, it isn't even a question, but a comment, and that comment is an open door for honesty and truth (age appropriate). I have a 24 year old who is married 5 years (yeah i know-young) but no kids, no unplanned pregnancies. I have a 16 1/2 year old. Both are girls.

The question of "what is sex" would have a different answer for a 5 year old, than an 8 year old. How you handle those questions and comments at an early age sets the tone for communication in the teen years. Both my kids are very open with me. And they always "ran things past me" that they heard from peers....it's CRAZY what kids tell each other.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    My parents never had the talk with me and I kept from having sex until I was in college.

I guess that approach doesn't always work out so well though.

Why is that a bad thing?:huh:
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    mom of 10 yo here, my daughter knew basically how babies were made and how the come out of a mommy in kindergarten (as she instructed her classmates on how the baby will come out of their teacher who was expecting that year.....)

It is more than one talk, and I think it really helps to grab some age appropriate books from the library. I have books around and talk to my daughter now then about sex just whenever things come up. I had a hard time with explaining rape in 4th grade since she heard that word at school. My goals are that by 11 or 12 she will be aware of all the facts and issues about sex including emotional issues, STDs prevalance in teens, etc.

So far so good here. Once you start talking the parental discomfort goes away.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I never had "the talk" with either of my kids. Honest, open, age-appropriate discussion all the time. There was never a sit down, birds and the bees talk.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    THere's never been a one time "talk"....always situational and always at their inquiry. When I was pregnant with my last child, the older ones were 14, 12, 8 & 6. The 14 & 12 year olds knew how that happened, but the 8 & 6 year olds were curious. I explained that dads and moms have different body parts that they use to make a baby. And as needed, I expounded on the concept. My son thought that you pooped babies out....had to correct that one a bit. But, I never tried to give them TOO much information. Now, the 8 year old is almost 16 and we've had talks about self gratification and such. Why me and not my husband with that talk, I don't know. But we had that talk. Know your values, and how you want your kids to understand and appreciate the bodies they have and the wonderful things we get to do with them as we get to appropriate ages. (You get to define appropriate for your family.)

:-)
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    [I have a general recommendation: Don't tell the kid too much. By that I mean more than they want to know.

When they seem satisfied with your answer you can stop talking till they have another question. (at least pre puberty, there's stuff that needs to be covered around then whether they ask or not)

Sorta extreme example if a three year old asks where babies come from the answer is "They grow inside their mothers." They will be perfectly happy with this answer. Launching into a discussion of coitus and relationships, sexual pleasure and the responsibilities of reproduction would just baffle them.

For a 9 year old "What is sex?" You probably don't need to get into the precise mechanics. He probably just wants to know what kind of thing it is like...category wise. So the answer could be as simple as saying it's something couples do that can make babies.

"The Talk" goes a lot better if you don't try to have it all at once. Just talk to your kid as they grow up. Answer questions.

I like this post a lot. With that said, my kids still think babies come out of belly buttons, and I have no current plans to change that viewpoint.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I've always kept an open dialogue with my daughter (11) about sex. It's easier than having some weird sit-down discussion one day. It's the same with drugs, alcohol, food, body image, celebrities, criminals, politics, etc.

Just this morning we talked about how marijuana is legal here now and how it's been drilled into her brain by school and other sources that it's bad mmkay. I had to tell her that it's just a plant and that it benefits sick people, is safer than alcohol, but is still for only adults.

I don't want my daughter to be shocked by the world. Ever.

ETA: We also the words penis, vagina and sex gratuitously around the house. It embarrasses the hell out of her but at least she won't end up calling it a hoo hoo or some stupid crap like that.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    My parents were always open about it; None of this "stork" nonsense... I was six years old when my mom had me watch a show on PBS and we had a talk about it afterward. Then my school required a class series in sixth grade which cleared up some misconceptions (no pun intended), and then again one final series during health class my freshman year in high school. I didn't learn anything new there except for STD dangers and how to put a condom on a banana. They also ran the video I had seen when I was six.

I don't see why this is considered a big deal, but denial of knowledge is never an answer to a fundamental question.
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have kids aged 7, 12, and 15 so all at very different stages. Each one has had a difference in how much they want to know at what age. Having livestock our kids knew the mechanics at a young age. One of our children is adopted and had teenage birth parents so that brought up some issues too about the consequences of sex. All three feel comfortable asking us questions for the most part. With the older two, I talk a lot about how sex is portrayed in media (i.e. something to joke about) vs. our own morality. It's sort of something that is an ongoing conversation as they get older because while a 7 year old might want to just know the basics, a teenager needs to know about not being pressured, not pressuring, prevention of STD's and birth control. So it gets more complicated as they get older, better to get an ease with talking about things while they are younger. They hear all kinds of things at school (and mine go to a private Christian school but the kids there talk about it too) so I 'd rather they clarify things at home. Just my opinion of course.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ETA: We also the words penis, vagina and sex gratuitously around the house. It embarrasses the hell out of her but at least she won't end up calling it a hoo hoo or some stupid crap like that.

^^^ Me too! It's hilarious to me that people make up stupid names. It's a body part, just like an arm or a leg.