HRM Caloires are they accurate?

Options
Hi there, just quick question are HRM monitors calorie burning features accurate...I go to bootcamp classes and zumba classes and my HRM indicates i burn between 60 - 80 calories for 1 hour I work hard and sweat at the classes Also means I have been way over on calorie intake when I have inputted exercise from database. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound right to me. Check your settings and check the battery. I burn that many calories in an hour just being alive!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Yea...it either is the battery. You should be burning a ton of calories with Zumba and any bootcamp style workout.
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I also burn that many calories in an hour just sitting and doing nothing (80) There is something up with that HRM :)
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    There's no way that is true. You might want to go back through the manual and make sure everything is set up right. Even on a slow Zumba day, people are burning 300+ cals in a 60 min class.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Everyone here seems to indicate they feel their heartrate monitors are MORE accurate, but 60-80 calories for bootcamp or zumba doesn't sound right at all. It sounds more like a leisurely walk! I realize I have a lot more to lose than you, but it still doesn't sound right. What does it say if you wear it while resting, or while cooking dinner? I have a hunch it is not picking up all of your heartbeats. There are some gels and creams out there that are supposed to help your HRM get a better "connection" (for lack of a better word). Perhaps something like this would help?
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    no that can't be accurate. does your HRM have a chest strap? Is your information entered correctly? (height/weight)
    if it has a chest strap, my polar needs me wet the sides touching my chest before i start it. I made the mistake of not wetting it one time last week and it didn't calculate my workout correctly.
  • RippaRita54
    RippaRita54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree that does not sound right...... Are you hitting the start exercise button cos you may just be looking at your actual heart rate??
    I would definitly check your settings. However i have found that the actual real calories burnt using a HRM is far less than the calories burnt indicated on the MFP cardio exercise for that particular activity, especially if you are relatively fit it is not a true indication of the calories you have actually burnt..... I wish it was!!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    no that can't be accurate. does your HRM have a chest strap? Is your information entered correctly? (height/weight)
    if it has a chest strap, my polar needs me wet the sides touching my chest before i start it. I made the mistake of not wetting it one time last week and it didn't calculate my workout correctly.

Thats just what I was going to say, if i don't put water on the chest strap it doesn't work properly.
  • Candice73
    Candice73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, that is a really big help, I will check the settings and wet the chest strap and see what happens from there...I have had problems using as it is not really isnt that straight forward and instructions are a bit naff, so was wondering if it was me or the HRM, sounds like it is me being daft!

thanks for all your quick responses I am feeling a bit better now and thinking all this exercise will be worth it!