Where do you eat out when sticking to calorie goal?

Options
Hey guys! I am trying to come up with a list of restaurant entrees that won't push me way over my calorie goal! I've done a good job at A. just avoiding eating out altogether or B. going places that have skinny menus (i.e. Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory, Applebees, Chillis, etc.). However, tomorrow issss valentines, so I should probably think about branching out a bit ;) I have a 1200 goal on non-workout days, and 1500 goal when I do. So I will definitely make it to the gym in the morning to give me a little wiggle room!

Where do you go out to eat when trying to stick to your calorie goal, and what do you order?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I do exactly what you say you do. Avoid it, or go to places that have calories/nutrition info readily available.

It is Valentine's Day date, so my first advice is to not take the calorie counting so seriously on special food days like that. It's awesome you plan on working out. Try to have a light lunch, too.

I'm the type that's not afraid to order a bacon cheeseburger and fries, but I will try to plan ahead, budget calories, and usually only eat half of it (save the other half for lunch at work or something). The other day, I went to Chili's with my husband, and I ordered the 6 ounce steak, steamed vegetables, and cinnamon apples. You don't always have to order off the "skinny menu".

Can you ask your SO where y'all are going to eat? When counting calories, it helps to have a plan.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I go wherever, I just look up the calories online before I go. Most places have that info available. Then I pick what I want so I know how many calories I need to plan for.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Swiss Chalet ... quarter chicken dark meat with a side of veggies or if I've worked out, a baked potato with sour cream :) For lunch I sometimes grab subway , usually a tuna sandwich without cheese.

Lately I've been craving steak, so sometimes I order an eight oz with a side of veggies. Switching to drinking water with your meals also helps to save cals. Good luck :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I stick to restaurants that have calories online if possible... 'skinny' menu or not. Then plan accordingly.

If they don't, I try to make a better choice then guesstimate the calories. Sometimes I go nuts... but it doesn't happen much.
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This might be a little anal, and unnecessary if you have a smart phone, but I have a chart that I made of a few dishes and the number of calories from a variety of restaurants that I might end up at for various reasons- it has everything from estimates for various sushi rolls to generic bar food to weiner schnitzel and Mexican food. It also has actual meals and add-ons from the nutritional menus of fast food and chain restaurants. I keep it rolled up in my purse; it's about the size of a cigarette haha.

I guess my point is enjoy yourself, and make informed decisions whatever way works best for you. This is just how I do it.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i like applebees they have a menu that is 600 cal or less =)
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I go wherever, I just look up the calories online before I go. Most places have that info available. Then I pick what I want so I know how many calories I need to plan for.

I do the same! I know I am going to a Chinese place on Saturday for V-Day so tomorrow I will look up the calories ahead of time. If a place doesn't have their nutrition available online, try to pick something that would be easy to calculate.

Buuut at the same time...eat a light lunch, workout beforehand, and let loose ;)
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    McDonald's
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You can go anywhere you want to. It's more about what you order and portion control. If from looking at other diners' portions you see that they're giant, ask to half of your meal boxed up right away. After you track calories on here long enough, you get a general sense of the calorie ranges for certain foods. If the restaurant has an online menu, you can even estimate the calories for a few dishes ahead of time. I try to shave unnecessary calories where I can by asking for no butter or oil on my vegetables and getting salad dressing on the side. If I'm somewhere that I know has great fries, then I'll often ask for no bun for my sandwich so I don't go too crazy with carbs.

That said, tomorrow is a special occasion, so I wouldn't stress out about it too much. Eat sensible things for breakfast and lunch and just try to enjoy yourself.