Emotional Eating

Options
Hey guys,

It's my first post in the community as I tend to be a lone wolf about my exercise and weight loss, but I have to say this is one thing that you just can't tackle yourself!

Today I was having an in-depth, emotionally charged conversation with a good friend that took me down a few notches. It was right around mid-morning when I normally have a small snack, so I grabbed my pumpkin seeds and munched on those only to realize I was still hungry and still craving. Before I knew it, I'd gone to the office vending machine and plucked out a candy bar. Sincerely, I don't think I've eaten a candy bar since high school as it's never been something that appeals to me. But here I was, at my desk, chewing down on this candy bar.

As I threw the wrapper in the trash, it dawned on me what I'd just done and how out of character it was. So I had to face the question, 'What the heck?'

The truth is, like a lot of us, I do succumb to emotional eating. While it's not always in rogue moments eating a candy bar at my desk, it does happen. Maybe it's reaching for another portion that I don't need, maybe it's grabbing something carb-filled after a trying day, or over indulging in something healthy to the point of it being unhealthy, whatever. I'm guilty.

My question is how do you guys handle it? What are you strategies for catching yourself in the moment, recognizing it, and redirecting that energy?

This is one thing I've struggled with for a long time, and I feel ready to overcome it :)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I was a "lone wolf" too for a while, but I've found that posting and talking really helps me keep my focus.

I am very guilty of emotional eating and bored eating. I'm not that great at redirecting it, either! lol! What I have done that really helps is I take Naked juice, dilute it with an equal part water and take my time sipping it over half an hour. By the time that half an hour is finished, I feel more full and find that it gave me time to redirect my attentions. The other thing I do, if able, is I do something physical- walk the dog, walk around my place of work, do chair exercise and do a full blown work out if I'm just "bored at home".

It's a really hard habit to break- eating for comfort. It is so deeply ingrained in our culture that eating is comforting/loving that we have to fight our natural instinct to do it!!
  • Sweet_Lady_4
    Sweet_Lady_4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm new too, and I came here cause I was also needing a little boost
    I've been working out a lot and doing tons of walking every day. I have a fitbit and I'm very competitive with my friends on there. I absolutely do not eat anything unhealthy, but my weight has still been slow to come off. Sometimes I even gain after being way under my calorie budget and even while working out.

But I realized recently that I may be stress eating. Granted, it's healthy food stress eating, but I realize that those calories unfortunately add up too. I have only 2 short breaks at work, and I go to school full time, so it's hard to juggle all of this anyway. While I'm at work I am constantly (I mean CONSTANTLY) talking on the phone (call center related job, and oh joy, very sedentary at that) so I feel like since I can't snack I use those breaks to eat a lot. I notice if I've had some very trying calls I'll eat even more. I always keep crunchy fruits and veggies on me, but my weight is still about the same. I think another related factor may be that I used to be a smoker. I quit in 2009 and I'll never go back to it, but smoking was a way to counteract some of the stress that I'd encounter at work and of course, it also suppressed my appetite.

I'm down for whatever tips anyone has on the matter! I really like the Naked Juice idea, too!

-Stephanie
  • like2loseweight
    like2loseweight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm also an emotional eater. Happy, stressed, sad, anxious you name it I always look to food for comfort. I guess because it's so easily obtainable and not very expensive. I do eat very healthy foods, which I guess is a good thing. Although on the down side I eat way to much. And even to much of a good thing isn't good for us. I do notice when I'm drinking all of my water I tend to have less time for emotional eating. :smile:
  • eelizabeth12
    eelizabeth12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

Happy to hear from you and see that it's not just me! :)

Thanks ashv4444 for the tips that help you avoid emotional/bored eating; I think that is something you hear repeatedly that if you have a craving for something, to go for a walk or do something physical and then see if you still want whatever it is. The Naked Juice is a really good idea! I'll try to take that and use it in the future.

Sweet_Lady_4, I know exactly what you mean :) I really avoid eating junk, but eating too much healthy food is not necessarily healthy!! We have to figure out a way to deal with the stress or emotional aspect in a different way rather than unconsciously trying to find it in food. Keep strong. I'm sure you'll get off this plateau!

like2loseweigh, like you point out food is such an easy way to comfort yourself rather than maybe dealing with things. The drinking plenty of water is a good point. I usually get between 2-3 liters down a day, but lately I've noticed I've been lax about that. I just filled up my water bottle thinking about it!

Otherwise, I also read a tip in an article for when you're craving sugar. You can eat a spoonful of coconut oil (or even mix in a little cocoa powder) which provides an instant energy boost. (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/sarah-wilson/how-to-stop-sugar-cravings_b_4642664.html). It definitely does not sound like the most appealing thing in the world, but I do believe that maybe some of the negative effects of emotional eating and stress eating can be avoided if you train yourself to reach for healthier alternatives? That way maybe you can deal with it in the moment to get past the craving or moment, and then when you're a little clearer headed, consider what caused it and address that.

In any case, thanks for the support ladies :)