Apple Cider Vinegar

Options

Replies

• IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is really true, but I've read that a couple of TBS a day (in water if you can't take the taste) will help naturally to decrease body odor from the inside out!

If anyone knows if thats true.. let me know!! I think that would be a great natural way to help in the summer, cause I sweat like a PIG! UGH!!!
    (sorry.. I don't meant to hijack the forum post!! Oops!)

I have heard this as well, but can't speak for it's validity. However, there's zero harm in trying that I can think of. I say go for it!
    Decrease body odor eh? Lemme pour you a tall one...
    CarsonOrngShotGlass4ozS14
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about using it for weight loss
    but I use it as a foot soak for getting rid of callouses and while it smells like cheap church wine it works great for that
    also works for athletes foot
    as well as for treating plantar warts
    and when I had chickens I used it for them too
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of unfounded claims about it on the internet. I'll only say that if you want a vinegar with the "mother", leave an open bottle of red wine out on the counter for about a week or two covered with just a thin cloth. Voila, a live colony of acetobacter and a nice wine vinegar marinade. No need to pay the high prices for Braggs or any brand like that.
  • Rocklinite
    Rocklinite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always down ACV with water and Crystal Light or Mio. I also sometimes put it in my mint tea with Stevia.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I eat it in dressings and in sauces mostly. I like to use it as a rinse for my hair and in my mud masks too. But even if I did think that it could help me drop extra (which I personally don't) I don't think I could stand to drink it!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Careful. It excoriates your tooth enamel and that is not restorative, I would use very little of it and drink water to flush it off the surface and crevases of your teach It's an ascorbic acid.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    edit: it excoriates the crevases and teeth enamels. use a straw if you have to. might even break down oral tissue and esophageal lining, but does have vit c.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I take it for overall health. Love it!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of ACV, so I'll take it whether it helps for weight loss or not. It does have many health benefits and a few external uses, as well. It helps my son's severe eczema, and makes my hair extra soft.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The benefits aren't all unfounded.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2

Scientific Evidence of Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits

But there are some medical uses of vinegar that do have promise, at least according to a few studies. Here's a rundown of some more recent ones.

Diabetes. The effect of vinegar on blood sugar levels is perhaps the best researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. For instance, a 2007 study of 11 people with type 2 diabetes found that taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%.

High cholesterol . A 2006 study showed evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol. However, the study was done in rats, so it's too early to know how it might work in people.

Blood pressure and heart health. Another study in rats found that vinegar could lower high blood pressure. A large observational study also found that people who ate oil and vinegar dressing on salads five to six times a week had lower rates of heart disease than people who didn't. However, it's far from clear that the vinegar was the reason.

Cancer . A few laboratory studies have found that vinegar may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth. Observational studies of people have been confusing. One found that eating vinegar was associated with a decreased risk of esophageal cancer. Another associated it with an increased risk of bladder cancer.

Weight Loss . For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A 2005 study of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of white vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    In for all the tips.

Someone had me take a swig to cut phlegm from a cold.
    Honestly, it worked well.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It is inexpensive and not dangerous. Give it a try let us know how it worked for you. No harm in creating your own experiment.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I dunno, because I never could stick with any protocol for using it:(
    But I love the stuff.
  • danielleb886
    danielleb886 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    they make tablets also. i hated the taste.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    they make tablets also. i hated the taste.

+1

It's awful!!:sick:
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experience with its impact on health or weight loss, but I use to make a buttermilk substitute for cooking since I don't eat dairy. Just add 1 tablespoon to 1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy, I use almond). :)
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Not going to argue health benefits vs placebo effect benefits of apple cider vinegar.
    However, if you are trying to shoot it, dilute it in water first, over time it has been cited an a cause for esophageal damage.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I do 2T ACV with 1C grapefruit juice 3x daily before each meal for energy, but I do notice It curbs appetite so yes it can help in weight loss. I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia, basically my body is tired all the time. I was put on welbutrin and Adderall for energy but I still needed more. I saw someone made a comment of how this drink gave her so much energy. I started drinking it two week a go on a Monday that same day I saw a energy boost by Thursday of that week I starting to wake up in the morning without feeling fatigued and continued all day. It is still doing it's job. My skin is so much better and yes I am losing weight. This has saved my life.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    You should watch this regarding ACV as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Yf3DQr5Qs
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Took the tablets for Nausea while pregnant, worked wonders! I tried doing the 2 tbsp organic ACV thing about 2 years ago, ended up after two weeks with a yeast infection. I only get them when I drink certain types of beer, and I had not, and no other changes in my diet, so I quit drinking it. Don't know if it caused it because it said it's supposed to help that. Interesting to see what other uses it has though.