"Diet" vs. "Lifestyle"

vgarg219
vgarg219 Posts: 6 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone,
I just joined MFP recently, but back when I was on the South Beach Diet a few years ago one thing I learned from them is that eating right and losing weight is not because you are on a "diet" but because you are living a better "lifestyle." This means that this change in your eating habits are permanent and lifelong, that is if wish to keep the weight off. I was just curious to see what some of you think about this....

Replies

• Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    I agree with it.
    I don't like the word "diet" because the one thing you think of when you hear it is "restriction" Whereas a lifestyle change is just that. You can eat what you want, just follow portion control and track the calories and other components then work to burn some of them off with a more active "lifestyle".
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    It's something I wish more people understood. You can't just 'diet' and expect to maintain the results if if was just a temporary switch. One of my friends was doing Jenny Craig and she refused to believe that letting others send her her food and snacks would backfire... You have to learn how to incorporate healthy food into your life yourself and know how to put a healthy meal together. :)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Lots of different views . . . but I have noticed that many of the folks on this site that you see have lost LOTS of weight (Im talking 80 pounds or more) all swear by the natural and healthy approach.
    No gimics, no fads, no cleanses or "quick start" crap . . . just healthy eating within your calorie limits and exercise. Eat as clean as you can (no processed), drink that water, and exercise.
  • So true and I dont think alot of people see it that way and I was one of them but after comin on here and seein what I eat now to compared to what I ate before wow its a total difference I do eat less and I still can eat what I did before but not all the time and Im still accountable of my calories and thats one of the things I love the most about this site. And that I can just input it and it does the rest for me, lol
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    You'll see that theme and agreement around here a lot, though also an argument around the word diet not necessarily meaning a deprivation of food, but "what one eats". Ie, and elephant has a diet of hay and fruit. Doesn't mean he's eating less or trying to lose weight :happy:

My take on it is lifestyle also incorporates things like exercising more, taking a vitamin, even things like responsible sun exposure, water intake, attitude toward myself and life etc, and diet is strictly food related, and may mean eating less (not less than i need, but less than overeating), eating cleaner, eating more fruits/veggies, more balanced, etc. Whatever it is that I eat now is my "new" diet which is part of my lifestyle.
  • I am losing weight under the vigilant scrutiny of my daughters (10 and 6.5 years old) so I have to continue to eat a healthy balanced diet so as to ensure that I don't pass my food issues on to them. As such I make sure I have fruits and/or veggies at every meal, eat lots of lean protein, snack regularly and eat food that I would also serve them (so I really limit the pre-packaged meals and such).

It keeps me focused on changing my health rather than on the scale which has worked rather well so far.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    ahhh yes, a lifestyle change! I want to get fit and STAY fit! And to remain fit, I must change my lifestyle. Fit does not just entail weight. I want my heart to be healthy and my immune system healthy. So just a diet wouldn't cover this. I have to exercise, and not just count the calories of the food I've eaten, but make good choices about the food I put in my mouth. Love this topic you posted!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Hello everyone,
    I just joined MFP recently, but back when I was on the South Beach Diet a few years ago one thing I learned from them is that eating right and losing weight is not because you are on a "diet" but because you are living a better "lifestyle." This means that this change in your eating habits are permanent and lifelong, that is if wish to keep the weight off. I was just curious to see what some of you think about this....

That's the whole point of this site!! MFP doesn't give you a diet plan, it teaches you how to eat RIGHT by controlling your portions and being moderate and realizing what you are putting into your body.
  • How about "diet" as a part of "lifestyle"?

I still like the term diet, though using it to describe a temporary shock to the system is misleading. If you look at the definition of "diet" you see that it is the things you consume ON A REGULAR BASIS. Diet is the part of your lifestyle that is consumed. So going on a "diet" is a waste of time. It sets you up for failure because from the start it is meant to be temporary. People need to change their diet (as part of their lifestyle) for good. Unfortunately, that can be a tough pill to swallow. Tougher than the idea of depriving yourself for a limited period of time.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    In my opinion, "Diet" is just another word. People can use it in different ways. The definition, according to the dictionary, is as follows:

a : food and drink regularly provided or consumed
    b : habitual nourishment
    c : the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason
    d : a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight <going on a diet>

( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diet )

I use the word diet per a, b and d above. Yes, I am undergoing a lifestyle change. My "diet" is simply the foods and drink I choose to consume on a daily basis. No, I'm not following any special diet plan (which is how most people use the word "diet"). I AM restricting my calories in order to lose weight - this is not something I will do forever - eventually, when I reach my goal weight, I will increase my calories slightly to maintenance level. The content of my diet, however, will not change... I'll just be able to eat a little more since I won't be trying to lose weight any more.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 280 Member
    bump
  • I'll have to disagree..

For me, a lifestyle is working out and eating healthy etc. HOWEVER a diet is what I'm doing now. Doing P90X and trying to shred fat for next summer. Living healthy is great. But you can still live healthy and go on a diet.

For body builders they would refer to it as 'cutting' or 'bulking'. IMO.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    I really don't consider what I'm doing a diet, either. Sure, overall the food I consume is my "diet" in the sense of the literal definition, but I don't believe in fad diets, aimed towards quick results from unhealthy habits that cannot be continued over one's lifetime. Therefore, I do believe in a lifestyle. I am an active person and learning to eat healthy, nutritious foods will help improve my preformance and overall strenght, ability and health. In short, yes, I agree with your logic.

I also look at my current weight as a temporary situation. I gained this weight for a pregnancy and since now the baby is no longer in my body, it is only a matter of time before the weight comes off. I consider this a phase in my overall goal of weighing 125lbs and being a size 3 or size 1. I'm not going to get there overnight, no matter how many crunches I do, or miles I walk. Its going to take TIME. So, I break it up. Right now I am in what I call a "fat burning phase" where I literally burn off the fat. Simple enough. Once I drop the weight and get closer to my goal weight, then I will work on toning and definition. My nutrition, or 'diet', is not set in stone and will change as my weight and activity level, fitness level and overall energy needs change as well.

I think the best approach to take in all of this is LISTENING TO YOUR BODY. Your body will tell you what it needs! And then constantly review your goals and your current situation until eventually you meet your goals and enter into the phase of maintaining, which will also require a level of exercise and good nutrition. Which, getting back to the original point, ties into how this is a LIFESTYLE change and not simply a diet.
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    I'll have to disagree..

For me, a lifestyle is working out and eating healthy etc. HOWEVER a diet is what I'm doing now. Doing P90X and trying to shred fat for next summer. Living healthy is great. But you can still live healthy and go on a diet.

You are not super morbidly obese. So for you this is a "diet" For those of us staring diabetes, high blood pressure and early death in the face the only way to have lasting results is to make a lifestyle change.

Thats how I lost almost 200lbs. I had to change my whole life. I will never eat the foods or have the same habits I had 2 years ago.
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    I lost over 100+ pounds about twenty years ago and it stayed of for, maybe, a year. Since then I've lost 60+ pounds several times, 40 lbs. etc.. The "lifestyle" thing just never sunk in with me. I understand and believe in the principle, yes, I really do but had a difficult time living with it. I also don't think I was equipped to handle what I faced as a thin person...some of the emotional issues that came up.

This time around I'm coming at things differently. I've had weight loss surgery (gastric sleeve), hired a personal trainer AND a nutritionist, and today I also hired a counselor that deals with patients that have had WLS. I'm also 20+ years older and wiser and know that, for me at least, it affects every aspect of your life from relationships to your health so, you betcha, its a true lifestyle change!
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Lifestyle most definately. I have diet off and on for years. They dont work for long term, yeah i lost weight, except i didnt keep it off.
  • I'll have to disagree..

You are not super morbidly obese. So for you this is a "diet" For those of us staring diabetes, high blood pressure and early death in the face the only way to have lasting results is to make a lifestyle change.

Thats how I lost almost 200lbs. I had to change my whole life. I will never eat the foods or have the same habits I had 2 years ago.

Not trying to start an argument.. BUT I was 242 pounds in sixth grade. So trust me when I say I was staring diabetes, high blood pressure and an early death in the face.

All I'm saying is I look at the words differently, thats all.
This discussion has been closed.