Should I start lifitng?

Options
I'm down a total of 74 lbs with 26 lbs to reach my original goal of 100 lbs lost. However, I've changed that goal to a total of 130 lbs. At this point I'm just ready to reach my original goal and move from there. I've been doing cardio mostly for the past year, and I've added a little bit of weights over the past month. I've def gotten some muscle now and see definition. Currently for the past month I'm typically doing 30-60 mins of cardio and 30 mins of lifting a day, usually 5-6 days a week. Although I'm quiet a distance from my long term goal, but close to my original, is it time to do more lifting? Suggestions? I'll admit I've gotten super bored with the cardio, and not done so great with my eating the last two weeks. I think it's time for a change.

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    The answer is always YES. Don't wait to get to your goal to start lifting, it's just as important while losing so you maintain your lean body mass.

Don't try to wing it and throw a program together for yourself. Find a good whole body program you like (Starting Strength, NROL4W, Stronglifts, Allpro are all popular beginner programs), do it as programmed.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    YES
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Didn't read anything typed by anyone, including OP, but the answer is Yes.
  • kaylachristine1016
    Options
    YESSSS. you burn more calories at rest when you have increased muscle mass. Also, is easier to maintain the weight once you lose it.

Weights is good! but if you want, start with strength training at home like push ups.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    YES!!! And once you do take measurements and pics to see your progress!! Some ppl think they are not having any progress bc of their scale. You'll see your progress on paper and on your pics, think inches not pounds :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    YES.

And you could have (should have?) started long ago.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    + 1 to all of the above!
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That would be a hell yes!
  • Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm down a total of 74 lbs with 26 lbs to reach my original goal of 100 lbs lost. However, I've changed that goal to a total of 130 lbs. At this point I'm just ready to reach my original goal and move from there. I've been doing cardio mostly for the past year, and I've added a little bit of weights over the past month. I've def gotten some muscle now and see definition. Currently for the past month I'm typically doing 30-60 mins of cardio and 30 mins of lifting a day, usually 5-6 days a week. Although I'm quiet a distance from my long term goal, but close to my original, is it time to do more lifting? Suggestions? I'll admit I've gotten super bored with the cardio, and not done so great with my eating the last two weeks. I think it's time for a change.

Make sure you are hitting every muscle at least once per week and giving each muscle 2 - 3 days rest before working it again. So, your lifting plan depends on your goal. You will either need to keep your reps high and weights low if you want to be more defined or higher weight and fewer reps per set if you are trying to build muscle. Always eat appx. 90 minutes before working out(slow burning carb like oatmeal and 20 g of protein), then immediately (before you stop sweating) have a snack (protein bar, shake, or a small snack with protein and carbs) within an hour after.
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    Yes, lift weights!!! it will make you have a much better shape than any cardio! You can get a good workout with just a few different size dumbells and a bench.....don't forget squats and lunges! They burn a lot of calories :)
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    YES! Just YES!
  • Th4ib0xer
    Options
    I would definitely start lifting. Having a calorie deficit won't result in muscle gain, but lowering your carbohydrates and increasing your protein intake should help.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are hitting every muscle at least once per week and giving each muscle 2 - 3 days rest before working it again. So, your lifting plan depends on your goal. You will either need to keep your reps high and weights low if you want to be more defined or higher weight and fewer reps per set if you are trying to build muscle. Always eat appx. 90 minutes before working out(slow burning carb like oatmeal and 20 g of protein), then immediately (before you stop sweating) have a snack (protein bar, shake, or a small snack with protein and carbs) within an hour after.

Yay broscience
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    YES.

OK, any suggestions for a beginner at home? Suggest a dvd and/or some reading on the subject? What equipment should I start with at home? Get a bench, bar and weights? I don't know anyone that lifts that I can talk to. Two gyms in town are useless, I've asked about personal training for weight lifting and they did not come across as knowledgeable, so I don't trust them.
    I do cardio plus light weights for arms and squats and lunges now, but I am fascinated by the weight lifting threads here.
    Another thing I am a little confused about though. I keep reading that you can not build muscle eating at a deficit. But I need to eat at a deficit to lose weight? Where do I find the balance?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Not necessary. I suggest start now, lifting heavy, look into starting strength, new rules of lifting for women, etc. Lifting heavy now, will help you retain the muscle you already have.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    YES.

OK, any suggestions for a beginner at home? Suggest a dvd and/or some reading on the subject? What equipment should I start with at home? Get a bench, bar and weights? I don't know anyone that lifts that I can talk to. Two gyms in town are useless, I've asked about personal training for weight lifting and they did not come across as knowledgeable, so I don't trust them.
    I do cardio plus light weights for arms and squats and lunges now, but I am fascinated by the weight lifting threads here.
    Another thing I am a little confused about though. I keep reading that you can not build muscle eating at a deficit. But I need to eat at a deficit to lose weight? Where do I find the balance?

Lots of great info on lifting and or body weight workouts. People will advocate for both - really it is what works for you.

www.nerdfitness.com
    - Really good bodyweight workout ideas - although they can get a little routine. I like to do this rotation and add in additional core work.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
    - good description of the 5x5 stronglifts program

And in answer to your question on building muscle at a deficit:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818594-building-muscle-and-losing-fat-at-the-same-time

And just as a general FYI - here is a list of great past MFP posts - done by a couple of the main moderators:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice, links, and input! I'll do progress pics and continue to do them about every 2-3 months! again Thank You!!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    YES
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Not necessary. I suggest start now, lifting heavy, look into starting strength, new rules of lifting for women, etc. Lifting heavy now, will help you retain the muscle you already have.
    [/quote]

ordered new rules of Lifting for women, today as it has been recommended by several people!