Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do I figure this out??

UGG I hate Math!

So I am trying to figure out what I need to put into to Scooby to figure out my calorie intake..

So if I want to figure out the Macro nutrient Ratios for the following, WHAT do I need to do?

I am 40, 5'6 and weigh 157lbs.

Protein: 1.5 grams per pound of body weight
Fats: 0.5 grams per pound
Carbs: 1.5 grams per pound

Replies

• writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Your protein goal should be calculated based on 1g per pound of lean body mass, not overall weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Your protein goal should be calculated based on 1g per pound of lean body mass, not overall weight.

This. Typically 40% carb 40% fat 40%protein works well.
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member

I am basing my figures on Jim Stoppani’s Six-Week Shortcut To Shred, whose first phase is:

I need to figure out the percentage to plug into scooby but have no clue how to figure it out..
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member

I am basing my figures on Jim Stoppani’s Six-Week Shortcut To Shred, whose first phase is:

I need to figure out the percentage to plug into scooby but have no clue how to figure it out..

I agree with the first poster regarding protein goal, but if you're dead set on these ratios, then your goals would be as follows:

1.5g of protein per pound of body weight = 236g/protein (rounded) = 944 calories from protein
    ^^ for carbs.
    0.5g of fat per pound = 79g/fat (rounded) = 711 calories from fat.

944 + 944 + 711 = 2599 (let's call it 2600) total calories per day.

944/2600 = 36% calories each from protein and carbs
    711/2600 = 27% calories from fat

36 + 36 + 27 = 99. Work out the rounding however works best for you.

**Disclaimer - I only performed a math calculation, I do not necessarily endorse this eating plan, lol.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Multiply all those numbers by your body weight.
    157 x 1.5 = 235
    Maybe it's just me, but that seems like an excessive amount of protein.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I agree with the first poster regarding protein goal, but if you're dead set on these ratios, then your goals would be as follows:

1.5g of protein per pound of body weight = 236g/protein (rounded) = 944 calories from protein
    ^^ for carbs.
    0.5g of fat per pound = 79g/fat (rounded) = 711 calories from fat.

944 + 944 + 711 = 2599 (let's call it 2600) total calories per day.

944/2600 = 36% calories each from protein and carbs
    711/2600 = 27% calories from fat

36 + 36 + 27 = 99. Work out the rounding however works best for you.

**Disclaimer - I only performed a math calculation, I do not necessarily endorse this eating plan, lol.
    And 2600 calories per day seems like a lot for a 5'7" 40 year old woman unless you're burning a an extreme amount of exercise calories.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Seems others are being very helpful, so I will just say that if your avatar picture is really you, you look fantastic for 40 years old :drinker:

Carry on!
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Seems others are being very helpful, so I will just say that if your avatar picture is really you, you look fantastic for 40 years old :drinker:

Carry on!

It is and thank you! That made my day!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member

Rock on, whatever works best for you.

You're welcome for the help on the math, by the way.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member

This doesn't add up to 100%.......
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member

^ This. You need to know your lean body mass # in order to correctly calculate this. If you put your BF% in bodybuilding.com that number will be on your profile. I'll show you mine so you can get a better idea...

CW: 171 lb
    BF: 28%
    Lean Body Mass: 123 lb
    Body Fat: 49 lb

Carbs: 184.5g (123 * 1.5)
    Protein: 184.5g (123 * 1.5)
    Fat: 61.5g (123 * .5)