American Ninja Warrior

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
Anyone watching it? I swear, if it would have been around in my 20's, I would have tried to train for it! These dudes and gals are phenomenal in their fitness!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it, but being in Aus, never seen an episode. I'd love to catch some and from the sounds of it I would have trained for it too!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The parkour folks seem to fair the best. I'm guessing balance, full body training, getting used to improvising and coping with unforseen obstacles is why. I love that show. Could I do it? Hell no. That one obstacle where you hang from the bar and have to hop it up three notches on the pole looks impossible. I giggle when people fall on the first obstacle, though (hopping from opposing blocks over water).

Some competitors build their own practice course. That's awesome.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've watched it pretty much since the first season. I've not watched it consistently on Monday nights but usually catch replays on G4. I've also watched the original Ninja Warrior on G4 from Japan. It's pretty amazing but being 6'2" and down to 230 from 318 I'm thinking I'd probably never make it thru the course in this lifetime. :) Not to mention that I'm 48...but there have been a couple of older guys that made it fairly far in the competition. I remember the guy they called Grandpa Ninja last year. I think he was in his 50s.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The parkour folks seem to fair the best. I'm guessing balance, full body training, getting used to improvising and coping with unforseen obstacles is why. I love that show. Could I do it? Hell no. That one obstacle where you hang from the bar and have to hop it up three notches on the pole looks impossible. I giggle when people fall on the first obstacle, though (hopping from opposing blocks over water).

Actually right now it's been the free rock climbers and gymnasts that have been doing well. Most of the parkour guys are failing on the multiple hand hold obstacles.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I think the rock climbers have an advantage later in the stages because so much of the course has to do with grip strength. But I do agree that you need to have some of those free runner skills too for the body control. And I would be one of those people falling on the quintuple step no doubt. :)
  • LadyBenihime
    LadyBenihime Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really miss Ninja Warrior (the original from Japan) when it was on G4..
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Does it seem like the jumping spider was a little too far and wide this year? It appears discriminatory against the shorter guys, too.

I was disappointed to see that David Campbell didn't seem to have his heart in it this season. So maybe Brent Steffensen is the one to watch now.

I wish they had a different course for women like they do in Japan. It's just impossible for a woman to complete any of the stages.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It does seem like the jumping spider is a bit further this year. Can't wait to see stage 2. And I also agree with the women's course.

IDEA Fitness member
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I think it looks like fun but it is definitely advantageous to be tall and lean for most of the obstacles.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Love that show - crazy what those guys can do!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    That show is AWESOME!!! They are in such amazing shape. But- I almost cried on Monday for the guy who hit the buzzer a tenth of a second too late. AWWWW!!!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with that program! I would love to try the course, but I know I'd be in the water on the first quad-step obstacle! Also... I have no grip strength. :-)
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It definitely inspires me to push myself, though I'm nowhere near the level required to take on the courses. I can get maybe 8-10 pull-ups on a good day.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I love that show! If they had a senior citizen's competition for women, I'd be there. I'm an ex gymnast/coach, and even though I love and am partial to the parkour and gymnastics enthusiasts, it seems the rock climbers are doing better. The grip and upper body strength requirements are unreal.

Edit: At 5' tall, I probably wouldn't get far on the current course.
  • brandileah111
    brandileah111 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Love that show! It's inspiring to watch them! I'd love to be able to do those things!
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That show is AWESOME!!! They are in such amazing shape. But- I almost cried on Monday for the guy who hit the buzzer a tenth of a second too late. AWWWW!!!!

I know, you could tell he was really pissed. But on the other hand, you can't spend 10 to 15 seconds psyching yourself up for an obstacle when you're racing the clock.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    One of the most inspiring was Sam San. He injured his ankle previously in the qualifiers, then again. Watching him push through the pain as much as he could and getting up the warped wall............inspiring. Too bad he couldn't finish.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Well at first I thought this thread was about me...but I guess not. Seems like an interesting show, I guess I have been living under a rock and now I must hunt it down and watch it.
  • cjec21
    cjec21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I watch both the American and Japanese versions of the show, and I was really excited when they announced the USA vs. Japan special!

I felt really bad for the Japanese competitors, they were the ones that had more experience in that course but yet they still got destroyed. Especially Yuuji Urushihara, who was considered a god-like figure after he beat Ninja Warrior twice. Kudos to the Americans though, they showed great consistency and showed the Japanese that they are not to be taken lightly.

I guess at the end of the day, no matter how strong they are, they're still human :(