what is happening???

I have lost weight steadily since April until here lately. The numbers have bounced on the scale, and now I have gained 4 lbs. I had lost 95 lbs, now I am back to 91 lbs lost. I have recently started training for a 1/2 marathon, and I have upped my weights I use at home for toning from 5 lbs to 8lbs. I just dont think it is water because the numbers aren't fluctuating. I weigh and measure my food. I feel some change has happened and I want to go back to losing weight. I am 36, 5'2, 135 lbs. My starting weight was 226.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    You're lucky it's the first time you've gained weight... It happens to me every month.

If you weigh everything (weigh it... toss your measuring cups. Seriously.) and you know you're eating at a deficit, there's no way it can be fat. It's water.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Scales are better than measuring cups.

Make sure you measure yourself with a tape as well. Might not be losing on scales, but might be losing inches
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    You're at a pretty average weight for your size. I'm only 2 inches taller than you and weight about 7 more.

It isn't going to fall off that easy. I wouldn't worry about the lbs. Start measuring yourself and trying to turn the flab into muscle!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I have lost weight steadily since April until here lately. The numbers have bounced on the scale, and now I have gained 4 lbs. I had lost 95 lbs, now I am back to 91 lbs lost. I have recently started training for a 1/2 marathon, and I have upped my weights I use at home for toning from 5 lbs to 8lbs. I just dont think it is water because the numbers aren't fluctuating. I weigh and measure my food. I feel some change has happened and I want to go back to losing weight. I am 36, 5'2, 135 lbs. My starting weight was 226.
    That's incredible you've lost so much weight! Congratulations! You look terrific, by the way.

How are your clothes fitting? I'd get that tape measure out if I were you.

I don't think a light increase in weights would cause water retention, but you say you've started training for a marathon. That's a big change in your exercise routine, so I wonder if this is causing you to retain some water as your body repairs itself.

If it were actual fat you would have had to eat way over your TDEE, which I suspect is not the case.

Weight has natural fluctuations as well.

Hang in there and stay off the scale for a few weeks, continue doing what you're doing, and see what happens.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    It might be that you gained muscle? Muscle weighs more than fat! Also you do re-calculate your new TDEE and BMR each time you lose weight? They might be lower now and you might be over eating. To shake things up you might want to consider doing 5:2 fasting for a while? Just google it, it does not cost anything.
    Stef.
  • Do you measure yourself? I "gained" 5 lbs this week, but lost 1.75". I was extra active this week, so I think it's water weight. My weight is not fluctuating either; it's been a steady +5 all week. I'm frustrated with the scale, but loving the tape measure. That's what people see anyway! :) Good luck!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Measurements as well as progress pictures are a good way to track progress. I don't like to track with the scale. That being said, you mentioned that you just upped your weights. I have quite a few friends that lift regularly. I am not familiar with your routine, but I have known people that weigh the same or more when lifting. This is not a bad thing. I used to be so dead set on that "goal weight" but honestly, I threw it out the window. My goal will be reached when I fit into the clothes that I want, when I look in the mirror and see the definition that I want to see, when nothing "jiggles" where I don't want it to. So many people are scale obsessed and goal weight obsessed, but to me (especially when you are getting close to said weight) the way you look and feel are so much more important. See below! Congratulations to you for coming such a long way, and best of luck you you in your continued journey :flowerforyou:

f75021122ddf10dd670561ba3b9c9b24.jpg

Weigh_more_when_you_lift.jpg
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Measurements as well as progress pictures are a good way to track progress. I don't like to track with the scale. That being said, you mentioned that you just upped your weights. I have quite a few friends that lift regularly. I am not familiar with your routine, but I have known people that weigh the same or more when lifting. This is not a bad thing. I used to be so dead set on that "goal weight" but honestly, I threw it out the window. My goal will be reached when I fit into the clothes that I want, when I look in the mirror and see the definition that I want to see, when nothing "jiggles" where I don't want it to. So many people are scale obsessed and goal weight obsessed, but to me (especially when you are getting close to said weight) the way you look and feel are so much more important. See below! Congratulations to you for coming such a long way, and best of luck you you in your continued journey :flowerforyou:

f75021122ddf10dd670561ba3b9c9b24.jpg

Weigh_more_when_you_lift.jpg
    thank you for posting this including pics. so many people get so caught up in the numbers and when u see the changes u have made thats incredible!!!!!!!!!