How hard is it to get some "real" muscle definition?

Options
Hey all...

So I know some people just by losing weight, see a six pack and crazy definition... I lost initially through diet alone about 25 lbs... Then i started running, then switched to resistance training. I have done insanity, p90x twice and various random routines, am currently working on p90x2, and then going into p90x3 and training for a 12km obstacle race in May, and from my SW of 165, I lost 20lbs to sit at 142 for about 8 months, and now i am sitting at 152, since adding weights and pushing to go heavier... yet still fitting size 8 things, tho seeing snugness but could be changes in body, such as certain parts being lifted... Who knows.... I don't like that I have gained 10 lbs from my initial weight loss, tho i also know I am tighter and stronger...
I don't log every single day, but I have a pretty decent idea what i am eating on a regular basis, and realize I may need to go really clean to get some serious results....

Would love to get some feedback and to help me be realistic, if I am not being, and constructive help based on what I log. Exercise i don't log currently, tho i work out 5 days a week and burn on average 400-600 cals per workout, but am set to 1800 no matter whether its workout day or rest day. I am 5'6'' and 152 currently.... Female 32 years young next week.

Thanks to any all who have any ideas, advice or just helpful info from their own journey or experience!!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Muscle definition comes through low body fat. If you have bigger muscles it's easier to see them even if you are still a little 'meaty; but ultimately it's the lowered body fat.

You won't build size eating on a deficit- but if you have gained 10 lbs- you most likely aren't eating at a deficit. Putting on bigger muscle is really difficult and requires diligent work- it doesn't happen on accident.

Keep working with the strength training- and eat at deficit- get that on lock down. That's where muscle definition really comes from ultimately.

Keep up the good work!!! :) 25 lbs is great work!
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I guess I better keep the deficit more like 500 cals a day, then straight across at 1800... Basically take my daily and don't eat back exercise cals, and days that I don't exercise, keep it a little less even... I have to say the 10 lb gain is over a years gains from weights as well... But obviously need to lock down as you put it on my food intake....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The number isn't a hard number. the 1800- as your body composition changes- or you days change- that number isn't consistent... which means the general trend is more important than the day to day.

If every you day you shoot to hit that 250-500 calorie deficit- you'll be okay- some days you won't make it- some days you might have missed a meal and come in REALLY low- but when you average them all together- it's the general trend line that matters.

If you are eating back exercise calories- I tend to shoot for OVER estimating my food- and UNDER estimating my workouts- most people subconsciously do the reverse- they under estimate their food- and over estimate their burn... so to compensate- I personal only eat back 50-75% of my workout calories when I'm cutting.

Again- general trend line- you don't want to starve yourself and you have to accept that "over" days happen- but keep the big picture of general trend line/average in the brain- it helps keep things in perspective. :)
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I totally get that. I do use polar to show my burn, so I do know what I burn for workouts... And when it comes to food i try and overestimate to a point, but if I am still hungry, I am going to eat something... I try and listen to my body, but i do know I need to change something up as things are not changing much
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Bump for more feedback...
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Even if that 10 lb is all muscle (which I doubt), you still had to be in a surplus to put it on. You can't gain weight in a deficit, or even at maintenance (by definition).

10 lb over a year is about .2 lb per week; which corresponds to an overage from maintenance of about 670 calories per week, or <100 calories per day.

As Jo said, you need to drop body fat to show the muscles, so just get the calories in check and keep doing what you are doing.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    So I am over eating by 100 cals a day.. COnsistently... Man my logging is way off then.. Time to be more honest i guess...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So I am over eating by 100 cals a day.. COnsistently... Man my logging is way off then.. Time to be more honest i guess...

you really should weigh and log everything to get the most accurate picture of your consumption...

do you own a food scale? If no, you really should get one...
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know if your weight gain has been consistent - the 100 cals per day is just an average. You might have put on most of that at Christmas, for example. That's just what it averages out to over the year.

I'd suggest logging as accurately as possible for a while to see what you are truly eating and burning now, and then start by dropping the net down bit by bit from there.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I totally get that. I do use polar to show my burn, so I do know what I burn for workouts... And when it comes to food i try and overestimate to a point, but if I am still hungry, I am going to eat something... I try and listen to my body, but i do know I need to change something up as things are not changing much
    If you're using an HRM to estimate your calorie burn from a strength training workout that might be the source of your issue. How many calories are you counting as burned in your workouts (on average)?
  • JodaNord
    Options
    If you're using an HRM to estimate your calorie burn from a strength training workout that might be the source of your issue. How many calories are you counting as burned in your workouts (on average)?

I do use my polar to count cals on strength, usually its about 250 for an hour workout... But I realize i burn more then that in the hours after so I don't worry its a lower number. I should qualify I got really sick last spring, and lost 15 lbs in 12 days... Then due to the nature of the illness, i could not eat normally for a couple months... I put the weight back on slowly, but when I got back to working out, it slowly crept up to the 150-152 mark and tho i tried waiting out p90x the second round, i really didnt see much difference... SO i guess its really calorie intake thats tripping me up.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    As well, i still am fitting all the clothes i was wearing 10 pounds lighter... and continue to have dietary issues due to what my body went thru last spring.